• In total there are 59 users online :: 3 registered, 0 hidden and 56 guests (based on users active over the past 60 minutes)
    Most users ever online was 1000 on Sun Jun 30, 2024 12:23 am

Atheism 2.0

Engage in conversations about worldwide religions, cults, philosophy, atheism, freethought, critical thinking, and skepticism in this forum.
Forum rules
Do not promote books in this forum. Instead, promote your books in either Authors: Tell us about your FICTION book! or Authors: Tell us about your NON-FICTION book!.

All other Community Rules apply in this and all other forums.
findsharon
Getting Comfortable

Re: Atheism 2.0

Unread post

I just saw this on CNN.com and thought it related to our discussion.

http://www.cnn.com/video/?hpt=hp_t2#/vi ... tholic.cnn
Dexter

1F - BRONZE CONTRIBUTOR
I dumpster dive for books!
United States of America

Unread post

findsharon wrote:I just saw this on CNN.com and thought it related to our discussion.

Interesting in that I wonder why this is interesting. A blogger who just graduated now calls her herself a Catholic. Wow!

If she was a well-known representative of atheism I could see the interest -- maybe she is well-known in some circles, I don't know.

And I couldn't understand some of her points -- she said around 0:50 that she considered herself atheist and that at the time thought it was "coherent but false." At 2:05 her friends say she's still wrong but "less wrong," around 2:30 something about both Christians and atheists saying she made more sense now. Eh? I don't understand a word she's saying.
findsharon
Getting Comfortable

Unread post

OUCH! I said I thought it was interesting and I wanted to share it. I thought that comments coming from someone who left atheism might just tie into the discussion, especially the parts about objective morality, participation, etc.

I'll continue to post something if I find it interesting. You have every right not to view it.
Dexter

1F - BRONZE CONTRIBUTOR
United States of America

Unread post

findsharon wrote:OUCH! I said I thought it was interesting and I wanted to share it. I thought that comments coming from someone who left atheism might just tie into the discussion, especially the parts about objective morality, participation, etc.

I'll continue to post something if I find it interesting. You have every right not to view it.
I wasn't attacking you, I was criticizing the clip.
findsharon
Getting Comfortable

Unread post

It's ok. I can take it. Next time I'll try to explain why I find a clip interesting.
Dexter

1F - BRONZE CONTRIBUTOR
United States of America

Unread post

We enjoy dissecting videos of religious debates on here.

I was being sarcastic about why this would show up on CNN.
youkrst

1F - BRONZE CONTRIBUTOR
One with Books

Unread post

i could see the tie in, in that an "atheist" had found something she wanted in catholicism.

it was interesting how she was digging the eucharist, i prefer the youkrst myself :lol:

trans-substantiation, i wonder if she believes in that now, that is one kooky doctrine.

she has found something she likes in "catholicism" oh well, as long as she doesn't take it literally she might be alright i suppose.

atheism was a little dry for her perhaps, i would have just modified my "atheism" to include "god"

:lol: not very good at sticking to the lines.

i used to be all or nothing now i'm more all AND nothing :)

i hate it when people ask me "how are you?" feels like they are trying to trap me into a commitment.

wonder what i would find that i could use in catholicism... Chesterton perhaps, but then you could have him without the catholicism.

i suppose one could sit in a mass and enjoy the symbols and metaphors, sort of a meditation, but i would be put off by the fascism i suppose.

i might enjoy the architecture or stained glass.

when the padre says "In nomine Patris, et Filii, et Spiritus Sancti. Amen" i would be thinking oh yeah i've blasphemed all three of those. spose you would keep that to yourself.

interestingly i have never blasphemed Krishna, probably because he wasnt rammed down my throat as an authority figure.

thinking about it there is so much that is wrong with the catholic church that i wish it would give away all it's money and disband, but that isn't going to happen anytime soon.
DWill

1H - GOLD CONTRIBUTOR
BookTalk.org Hall of Fame

Unread post

findsharon wrote:I just saw this on CNN.com and thought it related to our discussion.

Thanks for posting this. Too bad it was so brief, but the woman was articulate and didn't stumble at all, as I do when trying to talk about anything similar. Her reason for converting I thought was unusual, that Catholicism explained morality. She couldn't get into this at more length, but I wonder how she managed to accept the whole package as part of this need to understand morality. I don't understand where a god-man dying for us so that we don't have to spend forever in Hell would come in. This is no knock on her, but perhaps she was rationalizing her attraction to Catholicism.

Return to “Religion & Philosophy”