• In total there are 54 users online :: 4 registered, 0 hidden and 50 guests (based on users active over the past 60 minutes)
    Most users ever online was 1086 on Mon Jul 01, 2024 9:03 am

Belief in God

Engage in conversations about worldwide religions, cults, philosophy, atheism, freethought, critical thinking, and skepticism in this forum.
Forum rules
Do not promote books in this forum. Instead, promote your books in either Authors: Tell us about your FICTION book! or Authors: Tell us about your NON-FICTION book!.

All other Community Rules apply in this and all other forums.
RickU

Re: Belief in God

Unread post

ermm..my mistake. It looked like you were talking about the parting of the red sea
Jeremy1952
Kindle Fanatic

Unread post

deadcity12Quote:so thermodynamics, love, and god do not exist physically....however, real physical relationships DO exist that are understood using these terms....Sorry, thermodynamics and love are real. God and Santa Clause are imaginary. The difference is meaningful.Quote: why do you readily give faith to "science" but scoff at faith in "god"?I have no faith in science, I have confidence in its results and conclusions. Computers work. Prayer doesn't. And there is nothing "readily" about it; I have spent most of my life studying both the methods and results of science to better understand the world. A very important distinction that is frequently lost on luddites is this: "Science" does not know everything. Conversely, though, everything we know with a high degree of certainty we know from science. If you make yourself really small, you can externalize virtually everything. Daniel Dennett, 1984
Mr. P

1F - BRONZE CONTRIBUTOR
Has Plan to Save Books During Fire

Unread post

Quote:why do you readily give faith to "science" but scoff at faith in "god"? Jeremy1952 sums this up best. When people refer to my, or others, 'faith' in science, I get a little insulted and annoyed. I ask politely that you not refer to our trust and confidence in science as 'faith'. Faith implies blind abandon in acceptance of something with little supportive facts. Not science.Quote:and i believe it to be aesthetically pleasing as well.I have no problem with artistic expression. God and all the myths of humans are great in this regard...but it has no place in making policy that everyone must live with. Nor does creationism nonsense belong in schools. There are too many different faiths proclaiming the same state of existence in too many different ways for there to be any universal use for religion in our lives by decree. Again, most of the problem I have with religion is it's followers. Just look what they have done! The problem I have with God, when it is forced on me, is that there is no real evidence of it's reality. Just 'feeling' something does not make it exist.Quote:maybe these are internal psychological states, desires, and uncertainties---common to all of us. some order the chaos w/ science or reason---others with religion or god.This is like trying to learn how to build a robot by reading Asimov as opposed to going to a good engineering school. As for religion compared to science...one is a myth, one is reality. Only one is testable and convincing. Mr. P. The one thing of which I am positive is that there is much of which to be negative - Mr. P.
deadcity12

Unread post

1st...someone please tell me how to quote...it might make this easier...
Mr. P

1F - BRONZE CONTRIBUTOR

Unread post

First, start off by hitting 'reply' on the message you want to reply to, not the main 'reply' button at the top and bottom of the forum. Select from the messages (on the bottom of the screen, under your reply box) the text you wish to quote. On the side of the box you type your reply in, there is a quote button. Hit the quote button and a little dialog box will open at the top of the computer screen. Paste the desired text into the dialog box and hit enter. *The box will only accept one line if the poster used return carriages between lines, or so I have discerned. But once you have those 2 quote tags, you can paste as much as you want within them without having to use multiple quote tags.I usually just hit the quote button, put a '.' in there and just cut and paste what I want.You will need multiple quote tags if you want to itemize your response to different quotes.If you want to quote form multiple messages, keep a second window open so you can navigate through all posts.Hope this is not too confusing.Mr. P. The one thing of which I am positive is that there is much of which to be negative - Mr. P.
Jeremy1952
Kindle Fanatic

Unread post

The other way to do it is just to type
at the beginning and
at the end; bold, underline, and italic work the same way, using letter b, u, or i instead of the word "quote" . I generally compose the whole thing in my wordprocessor, complete with ezCodes, and paste it in to the box. That way I get my fancy spellchecker and have a copy if ezBoard decides to loose it, which happens on occasion. If you make yourself really small, you can externalize virtually everything. Daniel Dennett, 1984
deadcity12

Unread post

Quote:Hit the quote button and a little dialog box will open at the top of the computer screen. Paste the desired text into the dialog box and hit enter. ok, the ez codes were not visible b/c i had the "plain text" formatting selected---thanks a lot!
Mr. P

1F - BRONZE CONTRIBUTOR

Unread post

Pleasure.Welcome, by the way!Mr.P. The one thing of which I am positive is that there is much of which to be negative - Mr. P.
deadcity12

Unread post

Quote:thermodynamics and love are real. God and Santa Clause are imaginaryplease explain how love is more real than god, also please explain how god and santa clause are analogousQuote:spent most of my life studying both the methods and results of science many who have not, still have this faith--this is what i was speaking to, not necessarily any particular individual here. also, could you not have studied both the methods and results of a particular religious tradition and learned to be "confident" in its results and conclusions? note: i present these questions only to further the dialogue---no offense should be taken to the questions themselves, or the way in which they are presented...also, please note that i ask many times knowing full well that i am a glutton for intellectual punishment...
deadcity12

Unread post

Quote:Only one is testable and convincingmr p., many spiritual and religious people would take issue with this statement--those who have tested faith, religion, etc and have been convinced...

Return to “Religion & Philosophy”