• In total there are 50 users online :: 1 registered, 0 hidden and 49 guests (based on users active over the past 60 minutes)
    Most users ever online was 880 on Fri Jun 28, 2024 11:45 am

What is the most disturbing book you've ever read

The perfect space for valuable discussions that may not neatly fit within the other forums.
Forum rules
Do not promote books in this forum. Instead, promote your books in either Authors: Tell us about your FICTION book! or Authors: Tell us about your NON-FICTION book!.

All other Community Rules apply in this and all other forums.
thekillerloop
Official Newbie!

Re: What is the most disturbing book you've ever read

Unread post

Hi.There is book published recently on the 7 th of June going by the title "THE KILLER LOOP" ( look up on goodreads / amazaon etc ).Simply engaging....Highly recommended
christopheranton
Getting Comfortable

Unread post

I've had to think about this, but the most disturbing book that I have ever read must be "A Handful of Dust" by Evelyn Waugh. That is mainly down to the final chapter, where the hero is held hostage by a madman in the South American jungle and forced to read excerpts from the classics to his demented captor. When his friends hack their way through the rainforest to find him, he's lying in a drug induced stupor, so that his presence remains unknown to his rescuers. They go home, assuming he is dead. For all I know, he may still be there, reading Dickens for the edification of lemurs and capuchine monkeys.
Controversial and occasionally annoying author, (but with a heart of purest lead).
http://goo.gl/ckqfk

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B009 ... pp_rt#tags
Gillianfx
Permanent Ink Finger

Unread post

Harmattan by Gavin Weston was disturbing for me but not in a bad way. It actually changed my whole thinking about life and the human spirit. It lead me to get involved in causes that help a situation. I guess you could say it infuriated me so much that it lead me to be a part of change. The cool thing about it is that it prompted me to contact the author and in doing so this interview came about
plaintalkbm.com/10qs-with-gavin-weston- ... harmattan/

So being disturbed by a book can have negative as well as positive effects on a person. A good book draws out emotions in its readers.

That's my 2 cents.
SarahKRose
Eligible to vote in book polls!

Unread post

I have read quiet a few. One of them is an autobiography called Scarred by Sophie Andrews. Very detailed descriptions of abuse the poor girl had gone through. Also when she was bad by Jonathan Nasaw. I wasn't sure about it at first but as I read more it turned out to be one of my favourite books! The sort that leaves that creepy feeling after reading.
Monnie330
Official Newbie!

Unread post

In Cold Blood, and also Painted Bird.. both based on reality, making them more disturbing.

I just read A Million Little Pieces, and while I know the author is discredited for writing fiction and calling it authentic experience, its grim reading. The first 30 pages had about 5 references to bugs crawling under the skin and nausea... but my friends said it would get better, and it did , somewhat.
SarahKRose

Unread post

I loved that book!
Biblio Phile
Getting Comfortable

Unread post

Pet Sematary
SarahKRose

Unread post

I was just reading this book on wattpad called 'my cruel kidnapper'
Couldn't even finish it.
littlebookworm
Getting Comfortable

Unread post

Life, Death and vanilla Slices. I picked this book up in the frame of mind that it would be a great read about something interesting. what i got was somethig so disturbing that it still haunts me four months later! :o

Return to “Everything Else”