• In total there are 14 users online :: 0 registered, 0 hidden and 14 guests (based on users active over the past 60 minutes)
    Most users ever online was 1000 on Sun Jun 30, 2024 12:23 am

Seen any good movies recently?

Engage in discussions about your favorite movies, TV series, music, sports, comedy, cultural events, and diverse entertainment topics in this forum.
Forum rules
Do not promote books in this forum. Instead, promote your books in either Authors: Tell us about your FICTION book! or Authors: Tell us about your NON-FICTION book!.

All other Community Rules apply in this and all other forums.
Penelope

1G - SILVER CONTRIBUTOR
One more post ought to do it.

Unread post

Quote Jaywalker:
''Le Roi de Coeur'' with the last scene of a naked Allan Bates,holding his caged pigeon aloft,waiting for the Nuns to let him into the Lunatic Asylum where he will be re-united with his friends,the Sane.
'The King of Hearts' right? Think I'd like this one....after the day I've had today!!!!!! Especially with the lovely, naked Alan Bates.....it's a must see.

:cry:
Only those become weary of angling who bring nothing to it but the idea of catching fish.

He was born with the gift of laughter and a sense that the world is mad....

Rafael Sabatini
jaywalker
Experienced

Unread post

Penelope :- I hope you find it, I'd love to know what you think. J.
BabyBlues
Float like a butterfly, post like a bee!

The Great Debaters

Unread post

I teach Public Speaking as an elective in high school and The Great Debaters came out on video the week before we needed to do our own debates. Since most of my students have never even seen a clip of a debate I thought it might help them conceptualize what a debate was and how one needs to support his/her arguments. I was really pleased with how good the movie was overall. The acting was compelling and the story line (based upon a true story) was true. For those who are unfamiliar, it takes place in Texas during the 1930s and tells the tale of a debate team from an all-black college who go on to great and unexpected success. (I won't give any specific spoilers). I also gave it to the teacher of Law classes and he was intrigued and loved it as well.
jaywalker
Experienced

Unread post

Never seen in a bad film ? Cher !! She has good taste or a clever agent. I particularily liked ''Moonstruck'' and ''Come back to the Five and dime Jimmy Dean--'' and singing ''All I ever need is you.'' Magic.
Suzanne

1F - BRONZE CONTRIBUTOR
Book General

Re: Seen any good movies recently?

Unread post

mickhel wrote:Inglourious Basterds
Do you mean, "Inglorious Bastards"? I hope you do not offer a term paper on this topic, you would have to offer a refund. You are a spammer, and I do not appreciate it!
DWill

1H - GOLD CONTRIBUTOR
BookTalk.org Hall of Fame

Unread post

Suzanne wrote:
Do you mean, "Inglorious Bastards"? I hope you do not offer a term paper on this topic, you would have to offer a refund. You are a spammer, and I do not appreciate it!
I believe that is the correct spelling of the title, Suzanne, for what it's worth.
oblivion

1G - SILVER CONTRIBUTOR
Likes the book better than the movie

Unread post

DWill wrote:
Suzanne wrote:
I believe that is the correct spelling of the title, Suzanne, for what it's worth.
I'm afraid it is indeed the correct spelling. Usually when an American movie appears here in Germany, the title is translated (sometimes well, sometimes one wonders what in the world the translator was thinking about)...with this movie, however, they left the title and its spelling as is. I suppose translating or transliterating misspellings from one language to another just doesn't work.
Gods and spirits are parasitic--Pascal Boyer

Religion is the only force in the world that lets a person have his prejudice or hatred and feel good about it --S C Hitchcock

Believe those who are seeking the truth. Doubt those who find it. --André Gide

Reading is a majority skill but a minority art. --Julian Barnes
justareader
Almost Comfortable

Unread post

Few weeks ago I watched an excellent Japanese movie titled "Departures", directed by Tojiro Takita in 2008. A jobless man is mislead by a job announcement in a newspaper and ends working as mortician. After watching the movie the viewer may start seeing death as a completely natural phenomenon that we shouldn't fear, and may start believing that it has space for art and beauty. When I started to see it and found out that was about death I was going to stop it and move to another movie, but I kept watching it. I am glad I did.

Justareader
wilde
Kindle Fanatic

Unread post

I saw Alice in Wonderland about a week ago, and it was quite good. A bit dark for children, but it IS Tim Burton, after all.

Hopefully I'll see Repo Men this weekend. It sounds like a ripoff of Repo! The Genetic Opera, but hopefully it'll be good.
Big bright accent, catty smile
Oscar Wilde confrontation
Ah, live like it's the style.

Shelfari!
bleachededen

1F - BRONZE CONTRIBUTOR
Finds books under furniture

Unread post

oblivion wrote:
DWill wrote:
Suzanne wrote:Inglourious Basterds
Quentin Tarantino meant to spell Inglourious Basterds the way he did. He hasn't elaborated as to why, but if you know anything about him as a director and writer, you know not to question it and just accept it as one of his quirks. It is, despite its strangely spelled name, an amazing film and one of my personal favorites.

Return to “Arts & Entertainment”