• In total there are 48 users online :: 1 registered, 0 hidden and 47 guests (based on users active over the past 60 minutes)
    Most users ever online was 1086 on Mon Jul 01, 2024 9:03 am

How do you arrange your bookshelf?

The perfect space for valuable discussions that may not neatly fit within the other forums.
Forum rules
Do not promote books in this forum. Instead, promote your books in either Authors: Tell us about your FICTION book! or Authors: Tell us about your NON-FICTION book!.

All other Community Rules apply in this and all other forums.
oblivion

1G - SILVER CONTRIBUTOR
Likes the book better than the movie

Re: How do you arrange your bookshelf?

Unread post

Arrange?????????????????????
Gods and spirits are parasitic--Pascal Boyer

Religion is the only force in the world that lets a person have his prejudice or hatred and feel good about it --S C Hitchcock

Believe those who are seeking the truth. Doubt those who find it. --André Gide

Reading is a majority skill but a minority art. --Julian Barnes
bleachededen

1F - BRONZE CONTRIBUTOR
Finds books under furniture

Unread post

:lol:
3amd5.Royo
Getting Comfortable

Unread post

I organize the books in my bookcases first by size, then author. I sort of have them by genre, but very loosely, and I'm not too concerned on that aspect. All the shelves also have a theme, but the theme is mostly about the feel I had when I read them. The more serious books are at the bottom, and they get weirder and more light-hearted as they go up!

I have two bookcases, one is for the books in better condition, and the other is for older books, or ones I wasn't really thrilled by, although I recently sold three boxes of books to Powell's.

In my main bookcase, the bottom shelf has big heavy short story anthologies, photo albums, and a small collection of magazines (mostly National Geographic and Vogue).

The next shelf up has both old fantasy series I absolutely loved (Robert Jordan's Wheel of Time) and other fiction I've been meaning to read (Amy Tan, Alice Walker, and Jean Auel).

The third shelf up has my graphic novels (mostly Neil Gaiman's Sandman series) and some of my eccentric books, such as The Vagina Monologues and Clockwork Orange. Fantasy genre short story anthologies also go on this shelf.

The second shelf from the top has all the series and authors I'm currently interested in. Right now I have Anne Rice, Ursula K. Le Guin, and Catherynne M. Valente.

My top shelf is full of manga and anime series, which I find is becoming my new obsession. I also have a random assorment of prayer books and an antique copy of Tess of the D'Urbervilles, lol.

My other bookcase (and the shelf in my closet) have an assortment, with my old World Civilization and Women's Culture textbooks (which I love to read for fun!) children's books (which I'm also starting to collect!) my drawing pads, writing pads, and photography albums!

I really liked this thread! Lol, I enjoyed reading the responces more than I thought I would!
At the end of the game the queen and the pawn always go back in the same box.
-Anonymous
wilde
Kindle Fanatic

Unread post

I keep all of my graphic novels in my dresser. That way there's 0% chance of them getting knocked down and... bent (the horror!). :lol:

Not as bad as my dad though.. he collects comics and keeps them all in those white boxes. And you know where he puts those white boxes? My closet. :x
Big bright accent, catty smile
Oscar Wilde confrontation
Ah, live like it's the style.

Shelfari!
Pinkpaper
Getting Comfortable

Unread post

Oh, I keep the books I've yet to read in my bedside table and books I have read but need to take to the Charity shop in a box under my bed. Its just photo albums and cookery books on my bookshelf :D
Kevin
Pulitzer Prize Finalist

Unread post

bleachededen wrote:I like the cat hair, that was funny. Does the cat like to read? Which books does the cat gravitate toward? That would be cute -- a cat who liked to read. Maybe I should write a children's story about it. :lol:
Yes certianly cats like to read. Frankie here is an avid Chomsky reader.

He does however find intracacies of geopolitical maneuverings exhausting at times.

I have four bookshelves. The first I'll mention is the "TO READ" Bookshelf. I place books on it in the order in which I intend to read them. I do allow myself the option of deviating from this scheduled order. At times in my reading I will be wild & unpredictable. An example: I might close my eyes, wave my arms around, and read the first book I happen to make contact with. It's almost like a mating ritual in some ways! As the bookshelf progresses along the path of being completely full to only partially full I will at some point add more books. This brings me to Bookshelf #2.

This one isn't actually a bookshelf. It is shelving and there are nothing but books on it. I'm including it. I recall now once being asked to answer the question 'What is a wooden desk?' It was a multiple choice question with answers such as A) wood B) a thing on which to place other things C) densely packed atoms and so on. So, this "bookshelf" has the purpose of being the place where I store the books that are waiting their turn to join the major leagues of bookshelf #1.

Bookshelf #3 is in the living room and is the one on which I place those books I figure I'll most likely want to refer to. I have various philosophical, political, animal, and religious works here. This is Frankie's favorite bookshelf.

Bookshelf #4 is in a spare room and houses books I doubt I'll want to refer to or even read again any time soon. And yet, I doubt it to the degree that I'm not comfortable with banishing them to a cardboard box or, more boldly still, selling them.
The question is not, Can they reason? nor, Can they talk? but, Can they suffer? - Jeremy Bentham
caseyjo
The Great Gabsby

Unread post

Frankie is adorable! Any cat that reads Chomsky is fine by me ;-)

I wish I had four bookshelves. In my adult life I've never had quite enough room for book storage. This can change now that I live in a one bedroom apartment without roommates, but I still have to find money to buy more bookcases!
bleachededen

1F - BRONZE CONTRIBUTOR

Unread post

Kevin, thank you for the photos, that made my day and answered my question!! I love it.
johnson1010
Tenured Professor

Unread post

I arrange my bookshelf(s) by book size. Some books don't fit in some spaces, so they end up by mass. Also, i get no small amount of help re-arranging my books from my cat Chairman Meaow, who likes to wedge himself behind the first row and push at them with his feet.
In the absence of God, I found Man.
-Guillermo Del Torro

Are you pushing your own short comings on us and safely hating them from a distance?

Is this the virtue of faith? To never change your mind: especially when you should?

Young Earth Creationists take offense at the idea that we have a common heritage with other animals. Why is being the descendant of a mud golem any better?
bleachededen

1F - BRONZE CONTRIBUTOR

Unread post

Chairman Meaow :lol: I love it!

Return to “Everything Else”