• In total there are 19 users online :: 2 registered, 0 hidden and 17 guests (based on users active over the past 60 minutes)
    Most users ever online was 1086 on Mon Jul 01, 2024 9:03 am

Trump Watch

A forum dedicated to friendly and civil conversations about domestic and global politics, history, and present-day events.
Forum rules
Do not promote books in this forum. Instead, promote your books in either Authors: Tell us about your FICTION book! or Authors: Tell us about your NON-FICTION book!.

All other Community Rules apply in this and all other forums.
Taylor

1F - BRONZE CONTRIBUTOR
Awesome

Re: Trump Watch

Unread post

@ LanDroid: yes, 78% seems daunting, but I’m not scared, frustrated or concerned.

FPSfB was cancelled. It was beautiful to witness.

FPSfB experienced Justice Holmes’ “market place of ideas” .

Cancel Culture is the culmination of the market place of ideas. Good thinking can prevail, we know this now because we have such a fresh example. The “phenomenon” of FPSfB was tarnished by insurrection, it was witnessed by many of his supporters and they were appalled at the events of 6 January 2021.
Taylor

1F - BRONZE CONTRIBUTOR
Awesome

Unread post

I’m thinking that for many MAGA supporters there is the realization that for them, holding a grudge is not a good idea. Dems came into this knowing/expressing that grudges would not be part of their program. My arms are open, those MAGA arms will open too. Of course we’ll both have concealed weapons :lol:
DWill

1H - GOLD CONTRIBUTOR
BookTalk.org Hall of Fame

Unread post

Just about the only gracious act Trump committed was a reportedly "generous" letter that he left on Biden's new desk. Otherwise, Trump was no different publicly than what has always been--not admitting Biden was the legitimate president, abusing his pardon power, even rescinding at the last moment the only anti-swamp measure he had enacted.

There couldn't possibly be a stronger contrast between two consecutive inaugural speeches, Trump's and Biden's. I just loved what Biden had to say. His hopes may not come to pass, but none of the speech sounded empty, and it had not a hint of rancor.

So, now, do we retire "Trump Watch," as Trump's Twitter account was retired?
Harry Marks
Bookasaurus
Ukraine

Unread post

Taylor wrote:Is it just me?
Is there something easy in the air?
I certainly prefer learning about Amanda Gorman than about the orange man.
Taylor wrote:What scandals are in store under a Biden administration?
Don't hold your breath. There might be more dirt on Hunter Biden but I think the allegations that Joe Biden was using influence are most likely a crock. Not that he is squeaky clean, but that is just not where Uncle Joe's head is at.
Taylor wrote:I had some concerns in my mind. So, I asked my libertarian/conservative/GOP friends if they thought that due to the fact that the entire FPSfB family has decided to take up full time residency here in the State of Florida, that there may be an attempt by the Trumps to be influential/dominant in this states politics. I have been surprised by the response from my FPSfB friends in regards to that question.

The response I get is, the Trump family’s done.
I would not be at all surprised. Much of the Republican Party only kowtowed because he was "a winner" (and happy to put their head on a pike, as he did with Jeff Sessions, if they disobeyed His Messiahship). Ukraine and the pandemic showed that was not even close to being true, and the election showed that he is a drag on the ticket. The deplorables still love him for his meanness and his tough stand on immigration (rumor has it the caravans are already starting up from Central America) but Biden would have to be pretty politically tone-deaf to alienate the suburban housewives who were already disgusted with 45
Taylor wrote:There’s speculation as to potential attempts at some sort of public platform like podcasts or radio, perhaps even a version of a “news” network but no real sense of a future influence.
I can see it now. "Former President Trump said today on Trump News that he was responsible for the vaccine against Covid and Biden is incompetent. The sound of eyes rolling was audible across the country."
Harry Marks
Bookasaurus
Ukraine

Unread post

DWill wrote:So, now, do we retire "Trump Watch," as Trump's Twitter account was retired?
Okay, I will make a New Year's resolution to leave it alone for a week. We will see after that.
Taylor

1F - BRONZE CONTRIBUTOR
Awesome

Unread post

Starting with the latest: retiring “FPSfB watch” is reasonable for me. We did our best to get the honest truth of his story out there.

Amanda, she’s amazing ( I feel as though I can refer to her given name as I have absolutely nothing to do with her :x ) “ we lay down our arms.. so we can reach out our arms.. to one another”

Joe Biden’s history will not be white washed, in fact the libertarian right will use it as a drum beat to no avail.
DB Roy has warned against a smarter version of FPSfB and the potentials that could arise from such a clever mind. I’m thinking that there is something to be concerned about in that but the militant right has played their hand and their bluffs been called. Free speech will prevail as long as the market place of ideas prevails. Open society has won the day.

The Hunter thing is going no place. Why? Because there is no there, there.

Immigration is not the boogeyman it has been pressed to be. It’s a strange little wedge issue that doesn’t measure to a hill of beans, it certainly did not require a declaration of emergency or the construction of miles of reinforced wall that desecrated native people’s sacred ground. If people are illegally emigrating to the U.S. we have to first ask why?. The answer is cost, if they are coming to America illegally cost must be a factor. Certainly the former administration placed an arbitrary value on the lives of the desperate people “caravaning” here.
Last edited by Taylor on Thu Jan 21, 2021 8:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Taylor

1F - BRONZE CONTRIBUTOR
Awesome

Unread post

Adding to the previous post: I’m encouraging Harry Marks to setup a “Biden Watch” thread. I am more than happy to hold Joe’s feet to the fire. BookTalk.Org has gravitas, we are in the public market, let our ideas be challenged.
DB Roy
Beyond Awesome

Unread post

I strongly advise against a Biden Watch-type thread. It implies that Biden is as much a loose cannon as Trump and will have to be watched. I think that's unfair to the man. Trump EARNED a Trump Watch thread and, frankly, even craved social media doing such because he constantly needs attention. Everything is about him and everybody has to be talking about him. Biden deserves no such threads until he earns it. My guess is that he will not. I can't imagine anyone being worse than Trump. Would Biden cripple the postal service in an effort to keep people from being able to vote against him? Would anybody other than Trump? He was a brazen law-breaker. He broke the law and he didn't give a shit what you, I or anybody else thought about it.

This is not to say that Biden is above criticism. I expect he will do things I don't agree with. Obama did things I didn't agree with. We can criticize Biden's presidency at our leisure in whatever threads we like, but a dedicated "we're going to watch everything this guy does" thread is counter-productive. It is, in fact, something the rightwing is already doing. If Biden does something you don't agree with, feel free to make a thread about it but don't make Biden a crook-in-the-making until he starts acting like one. I don't believe that type of thread will be necessary because no one can be as bad as Trump. Biden certainly isn't, at any rate.
DWill

1H - GOLD CONTRIBUTOR
BookTalk.org Hall of Fame

Unread post

Then the question becomes continuing to watch the deposed King from time to time. He'll be an active topic for a while, surely, when the Senate tries him. My thoughts on that have been back and forth. I want to dfeprive him of attention and not increase his martyrdom potential. So leave him be as the only twice-impeached president, let him flounder amid his legal/ financial difficulties? On the other side, if he did indeed commit the single worst act in the history of the presidency (debate this), shouldn't he be convicted for it?
Taylor

1F - BRONZE CONTRIBUTOR
Awesome

Unread post

There should be no doubts about FPSfB being convicted for his leadership role of the events of 6Jan 2021.

There should be no doubts about FBSfB’s ‘plan’ for the capital storming and his disregard for ‘collateral damage’ were implied since the early hours post election.

There should be no doubts about depriving FPSfB of holding any office of “Honor, Trust or Profit” those 3 words come directly from Article 1 section 3 of the United States constitution. FPSfB has been removed from office by the vote of the people, the senate now has the responsibility of prevention. There simply is nothing unconstitutional about impeaching FPSfB. Preventing FPSfB’s from “holding any office of honor, trust or profit” is within the timeline of the transition of leadership, particularly when the 2 events coincide.

Impeaching FPSfB doesn’t/shouldn’t be perceived as a harmful act towards the U.S. It should only be concluded as a ‘good’ for the country.

My push for a “Biden Watch” thread was purely satirical in concept .

I have concluded that there is simply two camps.

One is either in the “Labor” camp, or the “Libertarian” camp. There is no zero sum unless you happen to be libertarian.
Labor understands the subtleties of fair markets. Neoconservatives, Burhean conservatives claim that there is a compromise solution. There isn’t, as long as there is resistance to the conviction of FPSfB’s, there will be resistance to progress.

The Democratic Party needs to draw a hard line when it comes to dealing with entrenched libertarians.

There is absolutely no recognition of the libertarian influences on current events. Libertarian ideology is extant but cloaked.
@ important books: Colin Woodard’s “American Character’ and Matthew Hongoltz-Hetling’s “A Libertarian Walks Into a Bear’.
Both are unscrupulous takedowns of libertarian ideology. Both have ‘algorithmic’ anomalies. Neither is remotely important to the internet. Their stories are largely ignored. Truth is, Both offer some of the most important studies of pop culture today. Both are systematically igored by the ‘algorithm’.

It is a real head scratcher apparently, these days, too simply ‘cancel’ the purveyors for bad ideas.

I’m thinking about ideas of trust: If there is a GOP senator not willing to vote for impeachment, there is a GOP senator who simply cannot be trusted. Those in congress who don’t vote for preventing FPSfB from holding any “office of honor, trust or profit’, should be considered impeachable as well. For they will be guilty of breaking their oath of office/position.

Return to “Current Events & History”