• In total there are 53 users online :: 3 registered, 0 hidden and 50 guests (based on users active over the past 60 minutes)
    Most users ever online was 1086 on Mon Jul 01, 2024 9:03 am

A fear of death.

Engage in conversations about worldwide religions, cults, philosophy, atheism, freethought, critical thinking, and skepticism in this forum.
Forum rules
Do not promote books in this forum. Instead, promote your books in either Authors: Tell us about your FICTION book! or Authors: Tell us about your NON-FICTION book!.

All other Community Rules apply in this and all other forums.
lady of shallot

1F - BRONZE CONTRIBUTOR
Genuinely Genius

Re: A fear of death.

Unread post

Harry Marks:
a person who cannot distinguish the significant is an idiot savant, with perhaps phenomenal powers of recall and calculation, but not the ability to make a life
So idiot savants are not living a life? Nor anyone who does not choose to agree with you about what literature has significance? Or even if any has, to them?

It seems from participation on these forums by Christians (so far we have only heard from one Jewish member) that the single most important characteristic of them is to judge the others of us.
Interbane

1G - SILVER CONTRIBUTOR
BookTalk.org Hall of Fame
United States of America

Unread post

Actually, impact is a dimension of truthfulness. We have to sort through all of the random noise in our environment to find that which is significant.
Impact is not a dimension of truthfulness(it is possible for a belief to be entirely false, yet have massive impact). They are distinctly separate conceptual attributes. The interplay you're referring to is that we have a much greater obligation to determine the truthfulness of beliefs which have impact. We devote our mental energy to the beliefs that matter, the beliefs that impact us.

If you ask me how tall my brother is, I'd tell you 6'4". If you then tell me that my life depends on the answer, I wouldn't be so quick to answer. That doesn't mean the truth has changed. Perhaps I wasn't correct with my first guess, but the fact that I might change my answer doesn't mean my brother grew or shrunk. Impact has an effect on our beliefs, and our lives, but not on whether or not something is true. Impact is a secondary characteristic of a concept, not a primary one.
If you had to put together a society on a spaceship, say, that had to choose whether to take a volume by Galileo, one by Locke or one by Shakespeare, are you sure you would go by factuality?
Shakespeare, while performing plays enroute to the colony as seen in Ender in Exile. I would prefer my colonists to be jubilant purveyors of fantasy. I'm not trumpeting the "importance" of truthfulness as if it is greater than all else. Ecstatic delusion is a great thing. Whatever beliefs instill happiness can be considered the opiate of the masses, and it may be vital to withhold the truth so the populace continues to believe.

What you are saying is that impact is important. I agree, but it's not a dimension of truthfulness. For Stahrwe to mention items of impact as if they affect the truthfulness of the bible is simply false.
realiz

1F - BRONZE CONTRIBUTOR
Amazingly Intelligent

Unread post

It is hard to trust again once that trust has been betrayed. Sadly, there are some who have perverted Christianity for their own purposes even to the extent of revising the Bible to support their teachings.
I would agree with this, but go one step further, there are NO religious groups who have not perverted/interpreted their religious writings for their own purposes.

It is very difficult for any parents to watch their teenage children choose different life paths that appear to be dangerous ones. I know that I would step in (and I have) if my children were experimenting with drugs because I believe that the danger of addiction is a very real one. I would do everything in my power to keep them from that kind of life. If I also believed strongly in my religious affiliation, I would probably fight to keep my children a part of it.

Jnoir, I agree with those here that have said to spend the next few years reading and learning, but also treat your parents with love and respect. I am sure they only want what is best for you and feel very strongly about the danger of the ideas of the world. But, parents can change over time and many do as their adult children introduce them to new ideas and ways of looking at the world. It would be wise of you to introduce gradually the ideas and thoughts you are having and discuss them with your parents, rather than waiting until you are older and springing it on them all at one.
lady of shallot

1F - BRONZE CONTRIBUTOR
Genuinely Genius

Unread post

Last night I saw a program on t.v. about Amish children who have left their communities and the difficulties they encounter in finding their ways "outside" and how they are shunned by their parents and other family members unless or until they go back.

These (mostly boys) were about 16 or so and had been brought up in great isolation from the outer world. They go to school only until 8th grade.

I found this a very sad situation. Maybe a 150 years ago, when no one had electricity or automobiles it would not have mattered so much to be apart from the larger world but today it just seems punitive and of course very limited to make people live this way.
Frank 013
Worthy of Worship

Unread post

Lady
Last night I saw a program on t.v. about Amish children who have left their communities and the difficulties they encounter in finding their ways "outside" and how they are shunned by their parents and other family members unless or until they go back.
This is true, there are several denominations that shun (ex-communicate) people even from their families and communities if they begin to question… Jehovah's witnesses are (unfortunately) known to do just that.

Later
That which can be asserted without evidence can be dismissed without evidence.
Harry Marks
Bookasaurus
Ukraine

Unread post

Interbane wrote:
Actually, impact is a dimension of truthfulness. We have to sort through all of the random noise in our environment to find that which is significant.
Impact is not a dimension of truthfulness(it is possible for a belief to be entirely false, yet have massive impact). They are distinctly separate conceptual attributes. The interplay you're referring to is that we have a much greater obligation to determine the truthfulness of beliefs which have impact. We devote our mental energy to the beliefs that matter, the beliefs that impact us.
No, I am actually saying that one cannot separate the factuality dimension from the value dimension. I am in the process of working out what is meant by "mythos" and the whole concept of truth which tells you that Shakespeare is true while Ayn Rand is false. One is about real people, even though it is entirely fictional. The other is not honest - it leaves out critical aspects of life, critical to the values it examines, in order to pretend to make a point about values. It is rhetoric, not mythos.

Perhaps I was misleading in skipping straight to the importance aspect of values. I was attempting to make the point hastily, that concern for factuality is not the only aspect of concern that deserves the name "truth". But I see now that more full-bodied examples are more likely to convey the point.

One level of complexity above significance is honesty. If I chose a series of facts deliberately with the intent to deceive you, you might hold that it is your fault if you draw the intended misleading conclusion. But of course this is too facile. We exercise a certain amount of trust about communication, and a person who takes advantage of that lacks truthfulness in an important way despite "sticking to the facts". "Intent to deceive" is not identical with "getting factuality wrong". Note that the way facts are used has something to do with their truthfulness. The value dimension of truth is beginning to interact in a more meaningful way, making it more difficult to argue that factuality is a "separate issue" from the values we attach to the "facts".

Mythos is yet more complex. It makes an effort not only to remain true to the deeper truths in evaluation, but to actually reveal such truths. Among other things, truthful myths direct our attention to the emotional aspects that will mean the most to us. Factuality is of very limited use when that issue is at stake. Like you on the spaceship, you would prefer writing which gets emphasis and value right, and is true to life, over writing that gets facts right but emphasizes less than the truly important.
If you ask me how tall my brother is, I'd tell you 6'4". If you then tell me that my life depends on the answer, I wouldn't be so quick to answer. That doesn't mean the truth has changed. Perhaps I wasn't correct with my first guess, but the fact that I might change my answer doesn't mean my brother grew or shrunk. Impact has an effect on our beliefs, and our lives, but not on whether or not something is true. Impact is a secondary characteristic of a concept, not a primary one.
People who have learned and lived with a lot of science tend to see "importance" as a side issue to truth. But as your example with your brother illustrates, literal accuracy is not as important as use value. We can state something that is inaccurate, but because it is close enough for the use we have in mind, it is true. You refer to importance as a secondary characteristic of a concept. But expand from "importance" to "being correctly valuable" and with some concepts, that taxonomy just doesn't work. If I ask you whether a society is truly free, or whether a court handed down a truly just decision, the concepts involved will not admit of treating values as secondary.

Start with the slightly complex version: the honesty with which a judge makes a decision is as important as whether she follows any other particular criterion. All the apparent justice she can muster is set to one side if it is clear that her decision is made to get a bribe - we would never accept calling it just. Then step one more level of complexity up to ask whether the structures erected to serve justice in a society are really aimed at serving justice or whether they are really about something else, such as guaranteeing the privileges of an aristocracy. Now take it one step further yet and ask if a proposition about justice is one that is faithful to the values we "really" mean when we refer to justice. (Example: is "might makes right" a truly just proposition?). Now you are ready for mythos. Ask whether a story (let us say, "the Merchant of Venice") truly conveys the issues that are faced by someone who is pursuing justice, or whether it draws our attention to the matters that must most carefully be considered when evaluating justice. The factuality of the story is so secondary, when you get to that point, that you need to begin asking yourself where that happened. At what level did factuality fade into the background and values issues move to the foreground?

If you recognize that "impact" was an example of the importance of values, rather than the central issue, I think you can begin to see my point - for some purposes, the aspect of truth that matters most is the faithfulness to certain values. Mythos always functions like that. A factual myth is better than a fictional one, but a "mythically true" fictional myth is better than a "mythically false" factual story. I am sorry for my bad beginning. Now that you know what use value I had in mind, you can better judge how true my conceptual apparatus is.
Ecstatic delusion is a great thing. Whatever beliefs instill happiness can be considered the opiate of the masses, and it may be vital to withhold the truth so the populace continues to believe. What you are saying is that impact is important. I agree, but it's not a dimension of truthfulness. For Stahrwe to mention items of impact as if they affect the truthfulness of the bible is simply false.
Think a little more carefully. The body produces opioids, not only to keep down suffering, but also to allow attention to be directed at the truly important issues. Once it is apparent my leg is broken, I don't really need the pain to keep giving me an "honest" view of the seriousness of the break. Toning it down some lets me get on with thinking about the complexity of dealing with a broken leg. I'm not saying the dulled pain is "more truthful" but that evaluating truthfulness should not be done as if the purpose of the information was irrelevant. I don't want to be tied up semantically in working out whether the two dimensions make up truthfulness, and factuality is a better term for the "accuracy alone" dimension, as I have been saying, or whether "accuracy" is the only meaning of "truthful" but values also matter. I do want to argue that many of the same processes and issues come up in evaluating truth in values as arise in evaluation of accuracy of information. The main differences are in epistemology - the accuracy dimension can be settled using "evidence" while the values dimension remains ultimately subjective and must be discussed in dialog.
Jozanny
Float like a butterfly, post like a bee!

Unread post

lady of shallot wrote:Dawn we probably do agree on many things. While we agree on the two points about communion (BTW does your church take it?) Millions of Catholics worldwide do not agree with us. Nor do they agree with what you say about having a "personal relationship with Jesus" in fact they have no idea what that means.
I thought a thread titled fear of death might involve more than the validity or lack thereof of the Christian worldview, but lady, Roman Catholics do indeed understand the Protestant insistence with asserting the autonomy of the *I* in its dynamic to the divine :cry:
Il mondo sta bene cosi com'e.
--Giordano Bruno
holly83

Unread post

life is what you make it. what makes you happy and secure? what gives you comfort? explore what others believe, there are soooo many, and come to your own cnclusions. may haps no one is correct, may haps every one is a little bit. No one really knows for sure. During your life, do what ever you can to enjoy it. Find your own pleasures. You can not prepare for what happens after you pass so why worry about it? Dont make your life miserable for something you can never have control over. live safe, live kind and live happy. (and if you are afraid of how others may react to your beliefs, you can make the choice not to tell them)
Jozanny
Float like a butterfly, post like a bee!

Unread post

Jnoir wrote:I'm 16 years old and i fear death. It's coming to the point where it's all i think about. Up until about two years ago you could consider me a Christian, my family members are all Jehovah's Witnesses. I started questioning my faith after reading many books such as “The God Delusion” by Richard Dawkins, The Greatest Show on Earth by Richard Dawkins, and "God is not great" By Christopher Hitchens.
I've also read a lot of discussions on this site on matters such as Creationism and Evolution.

I've come to the point where one could consider me an atheist. But i miss being a Christian, i really do. I miss knowing that my late loved ones were in heaven and that there was nothing but good things coming for me after death. I miss not having to worry about things such as the meaning of life, or if my life has any meaning at all. Some days i just try to believe in Jesus and God and the bible, but it's just not the same. My question is is there any hope of anything other than an oblivion of nothingness after death? If not, how do you cope? Do you just not think about death, or have you come to accept death without fear ( if so how).

Please help, if not i fear the worse, going back to being a sheep.
Jnoir, if you are still lurking, one, slow down. Faith is a very difficult thing, and I am not going to cause you more anxiety by going into the history of Judaism as a rather dubious separation anxiety between one group of Chaldean city dwellers over another--but this is where the history of the *One God*, Eloi, later Yahweh, then the Trinity, then Allah, begins.

You are a kid, relax, take a deep breath, meditate, talk to your parents. I converted to atheism before I was ready because I obsessed over a professor, then later made a more independent journey.

Humans crave meaning. We waste a lot of time on it. Religious people embrace god as a living superhuman entity. I basically see this as projection, but believers think politics continue on in spirit, a sort of never ending game show of this, that, battles with Lucifer.

Scientists, rather, say, "gee, stuff" and study matter, space, biology, and so on, and the stuff is strange, explodes, creates stars and planets that move because, Newton, Galileo, Einstein, Greene, Sagan. All of these and more look at the stuff and make their stories too.

Better story, but it is still a human narrative, the secrets of red shift, galaxies, string theory.

Give yourself a chance to be a teenager. Jesus will be there at the end of the day if you need his story, and so will be what physics has purchased for us. Neither make a great deal of sense, and maybe it isn't supposed to, but the Judaism model is increasingly stale.
Il mondo sta bene cosi com'e.
--Giordano Bruno
Stuart Mason
Permanent Ink Finger

Unread post

Jnoir wrote: I've come to the point where one could consider me an atheist. But i miss being a Christian, i really do. I miss knowing that my late loved ones were in heaven and that there was nothing but good things coming for me after death. I miss not having to worry about things such as the meaning of life, or if my life has any meaning at all. Some days i just try to believe in Jesus and God and the bible, but it's just not the same. My question is is there any hope of anything other than an oblivion of nothingness after death? If not, how do you cope? Do you just not think about death, or have you come to accept death without fear ( if so how).

Please help, if not i fear the worse, going back to being a sheep.
I don't know if this helps, but the belief in continued existence after death is far from being a Christian thing. It goes back to the earliest known civilizations well before Christianity or even Judaism was ever conceived and is still held by people today be they Christian or not, so you don't have to try to force yourself to believe something you don't for that reason. There are numerous schools of thought that view consciousness as more than just a biological function and therefore doesn't necessarily cease when the physical body dies. If it's something that's occupying that much of your thoughts, you could always research and explore some of the many other ideas and philosophies about it and see what you think.
GodsBeforeHim.com

Return to “Religion & Philosophy”