• In total there are 27 users online :: 0 registered, 0 hidden and 27 guests (based on users active over the past 60 minutes)
    Most users ever online was 1086 on Mon Jul 01, 2024 9:03 am

The Magic of Reality: How We Know What's Really True - by Richard Dawkins

Authors are invited and encouraged to showcase their NON-FICTION books exclusively within this forum.
ant

1G - SILVER CONTRIBUTOR
BookTalk.org Hall of Fame

Re: The Magic of Reality: How We Know What's Really True - by Richard Dawkins

Unread post

geo wrote:Whatever you may think of Dawkins, this book is about science, not about God. I just bought a copy for my 12-year-old granddaughter. (Yes, I'm a freakin' grandfather). "God" isn't even in the index.

As Pullman says in the blurb on the back, this is "the clearest and most beautifully written introduction to science I've ever read."

So my point is that anyone who automatically equates science with being anti religion is coming at it from a dogmatic perspective.
I haven't seen the book but I imagine it's good
Nice that you're a grandpa! :)
ant

1G - SILVER CONTRIBUTOR

Unread post

Interbane wrote:
I have never defended the god of the old testament. It's pretty obvious that that particular god's characteristics are "human all to human."
Many of the modern gods that people have invented lack that "humanity" in their characteristics. Back in the day, they were quite new at creating gods, and their conceptions allowed too much of the authors to bleed through. Whoever drafted up the new testament definitely learned a few lessons from the old testament. Jesus is a more approachable character, and the themes are much much better.
I tend to agree with everything you wrote here

Here's your logical absurdity of the day:
The non existence of proof amounts to the proof of non existence.
Robert Tulip

2B - MOD & SILVER
Australia

Unread post

ant wrote:logical absurdity of the day:
Who ever said that? It would mean failure to find life on Mars to date proves life does not exist on Mars. An obvious fallacy.

With God, the real logical problem is the existence of superior explanations.

It is more plausible that the idea of God evolved due to its convenient fit with human psychological needs than that the idea of God evolved under instruction from an actual supernatural entity.

Proof is a strong term, but when two rival explanations are so extremely unequal in plausibility, proof is a reasonable term.

We say the existence of the fossil record proves evolution. Similarly, the existence of available psychological mechanisms proves the invention of God.
Last edited by Robert Tulip on Mon Dec 03, 2012 3:01 am, edited 2 times in total.
ant

1G - SILVER CONTRIBUTOR

Unread post

It would mean failure to find life on Mars to date proves life does not exist on Mars. An obvious fallacy.
No, Robert. Life did not exist on Mars until we find evidence of it. Just like a higher intelligence (god?), right?
We should have found evidence for god already. If, not, god does not exist.
With God, the real logical problem is the existence of superior explanations.
No, Robert. You will not find an explanation for everything simply because you feel that you are entitled to evidence.

Explanatory power is LIMITED.
Scientific OBSERVATION is LIMITED
LOGIC is also quite possibly LIMITED, since it was devised by man, who also is LIMITED

What is the origin of the laws that govern quantum mechanics?
How did non conscious matter give rise to conscious matter?

I'll answer for you - you don't have a clue.
Don't feel bad, no one does.
No one understands quantum mechanics.
No one knows the origin of consciousness.

We aren't smart enough to know, Robert.
Your limited understanding amounts to ignorance.
Maybe there are limits to our understanding of life that we will never be able to overcome. That is a more humble approach to the mystery of life/creation instead of all the bombast that is spewed by materialists.

A worm is likely not to know of your existence, Robert. And if I dropped a worm on your hand, perhaps its limited senses would sense something, but would not be able to develop an explanation for it.

Don't be intellectually arrogant about this, Robert. You and your knowledge base might be as formidable as that worm in comparison to things not yet understood/discovered by Mankind.

This is the trouble with Atheists. It's their "I'm smarter than you are" attitude that's annoying.

Did you see 2001 A Space Odyssey?
Remember that scene when those monkey men were jumping all over the place like apes when the Monolith appeared?
That's you and I, Robert.

You are very anthropocentric. You seem to believe that human beings are capable of scientifically explaining everything, or that we are arriving close to an explanation of everything because we are who we are.
Science has been great at unraveling mysteries and discovering more mysteries as a result. To conclude that all will be explained, without the need for a god, because god does not exist (or whatever the hell you want to call it) is arrogance.
Last edited by ant on Mon Dec 03, 2012 12:38 pm, edited 3 times in total.
ant

1G - SILVER CONTRIBUTOR

Unread post

Guess what quantum mechanics is? Science!
Well this is some brilliant stuff.

No, Dexter. Quantum Mechanics is not science, it's quantum mechanics.
It's been quantum mechanics before Mankind developed language and defined it as such.
It's been quantum mechanics possibly for an eternity.

Or maybe it wasn't quantum mechanics before the Big Bang because before the BB there was a singularity of something, errr.., I mean nothing.

And possibly from nothing came something. That is a better "scientific" explanation than entertaining the idea there possibly was a prime mover that caused something to happen from nothing.

Check that! This universe is a "bubble" among millions of universes, all being born constantly from a Megaverse of some sort. And string theory brings all this together because there is mounting evidence for the megaverse and string theory but no evidence for a prime mover.

Excuse me while I go laugh my arse off.
Interbane

1G - SILVER CONTRIBUTOR
United States of America

Unread post

Don't be daft ant, Quantum Mechanics is in the category of pure sciences. Your rebuttal is like saying "A human is not a mammal, it's a homo sapiens!" and thinking you're making a good point.
It's a logical fallacy, not a logical absurdity. Argumentum ad ignorantum, specifically.

What happened at church yesterday that you're full of piss and vinegar? You get all emotional and post some really dumb stuff ant.

:P
In the beginning the Universe was created. This has made a lot of people very angry and has been widely regarded as a bad move.” - Douglas Adams
johnson1010
Tenured Professor

Unread post

No, Robert. Life did not exist on Mars until we find evidence of it. Just like a higher intelligence (god?), right?
We should have found evidence for god already. If, not, god does not exist.

There's a big difference between the chance of life existing on Mars vs the chance of there being a god.

Why might we think there is or has been life on Mars? Because we already know that life is possible. We know the conditions that let life arise. We think Mars may now have those conditions, or may have had them in the past. It is therefore reasonable to suggest that life may be there, or evidence of it's existence in the past.

Why might we think there is or has ever been a god? We don't know anything of the sort is even possible, there are no confirmed existence of anything of the sort. We don't know what conditions are needed, or if there are any which would permit it, it certainly doesn't seem to fit in with the standard model of physics which we have confirmed to be accurate in ludicrous detail. It is therefore only a matter of personal desire that a god is ever entered into a discussion of the way this universe runs based on superstition and a refusal to confront our preferred beliefs with the evidence.
No, Robert. You will not find an explanation for everything simply because you feel that you are entitled to evidence.

I certainly think there ought to be good reasons to believe the things you believe. In that respect you'd better have evidence if you want to convince me.

We don't know the cause of the laws behind quantum mechanics, but it seems very unlikely that the invention of an imagination which COMES from the laws of physics is retroactivly responsible for those laws.

Consciousness is the product of brains, which are the product of chemistry. Quantitatively we are struggling to understand because this is a very complex subject, but qualitatively this is the origin.

We do very definitely understand quantum mechanics, in so far that we use it all the time with high success to predict things that gods have never imagined were possible.

What people are talking about when they say that nobody understands quantum mechanics, what they mean to say is that there is no good easy to understand physical model you can hold in your head to explain what's happening in terms of things flying around and bouncing off eachother. It can be fully expressed in terms of mathematics, but not in terms of everyday objects we interact with because the objects we interact with are at the end of a very long chain of reactions involving trillions and trillions of quantum objects which in total give us the world we see on a macroscopic scale.

People understand very well how to use quantum mechanics, and how the rules work, and what that means for interactions. What they don't understand is how that works intuitively. It can't be compared to billiard balls, or waves, or fields exactly, but combinations of all those things which is confusing, because macroscopic objects ony disply one of these aspects very prominently. But with careful consideration it is possible to explain these phenomena on a macroscopic level by understanding the quantum mechanics that underlies it.

It is a counter-intuitive subject, but not beyond understanding.
Maybe there are limits to our understanding of life that we will never be able to overcome. That is a more humble approach to the mystery of life/creation instead of all the bombast that is spewed by materialists.
There may well be things that are just beyond our ability to process. That doesn't mean we can know nothing about them. Infinity is a good example, or the square root of -1.

Even though we will ultimately never be able to hold the universe in our minds in it's fullness, we can certainly know something about something, and that ain't bad at all. And even with the little that we do know, god seems very unlikely indeed. Why would you imagine knowing more would reverse that trend?
This is the trouble with Atheists. It's their "I'm smarter than you are" attitude that's annoying.
You are projecting. I don't think i'm smarter than you. I think i'm willing to look at alternative explanations that don't always INSIST that there must be a god in there somewhere. I was a believer once. I didn't stop believing because i was suddenly smarter than anyone else. Instead i just took seriously the idea that god doesn't HAVE to be a part of my explanation of the world. once i did that i found that everything hums along just fine without god, so why bring him back in when there is nothing to suggest that he should be there?
You are very anthropocentric. You seem to believe that human beings are capable of scientifically explaining everything, or that we are arriving close to an explanation of everything because we are who we are.

Science has been great at unraveling mysteries and discovering more mysteries as a result. To conclude that all will be explained, without the need for a god, because god does not exist (or whatever the hell you want to call it) is arrogance.
anthropocentric? In a sense. Not in that, "everything is made for us" but perhaps in that anything that we think matters, matters in relationship to us because we are humans. That doesn't connote any real significance to things other than our own value of them. The sun wouldn't and couldn't care if all of humanity were wiped out tomorrow. We are concerned with the things which concern us. That's no great mystery.

Our ability to explain phenomena is not dependant on who we are necessarily, except it's difficult to imagine an understanding being which doesn't share at least some of our characteristics.

It really comes down to this for me.

It isn't difficult to explain reality without god. When you add god back in, it becomes impossible to explain reality. Since reality is evident, i doubt a god had anything to do with it.

How is it arrogant to suggest that a story which has clear roots in human imagination, historical origination, cultural limitations, demonstrable factual ignorance, astounding anthropocentric delusions of granduer and almost no correlation with what we've been able to discover through evidence probably isn't the One True Reason for Existence?
In the absence of God, I found Man.
-Guillermo Del Torro

Are you pushing your own short comings on us and safely hating them from a distance?

Is this the virtue of faith? To never change your mind: especially when you should?

Young Earth Creationists take offense at the idea that we have a common heritage with other animals. Why is being the descendant of a mud golem any better?
ant

1G - SILVER CONTRIBUTOR

Unread post

Interbane wrote:
Don't be daft ant, Quantum Mechanics is in the category of pure sciences. Your rebuttal is like saying "A human is not a mammal, it's a homo sapiens!" and thinking you're making a good point.
It's a logical fallacy, not a logical absurdity. Argumentum ad ignorantum, specifically.

What happened at church yesterday that you're full of piss and vinegar? You get all emotional and post some really dumb stuff ant.

:P
I'm going to ignore your quibbling play and your personal attack.
Interbane

1G - SILVER CONTRIBUTOR
United States of America

Unread post

I'm going to ignore your quibbling play and your personal attack.
Without admitting that it was justified? Your posts were the issue, not my responses. C'mon.
In the beginning the Universe was created. This has made a lot of people very angry and has been widely regarded as a bad move.” - Douglas Adams
etudiant
Masters

Unread post

ant wrote:

Explanatory power is LIMITED.
Scientific OBSERVATION is LIMITED
LOGIC is also quite possibly LIMITED, since it was devised by man, who also is LIMITED

I agree with you that our understanding of the universe is limited, and may well always be limited. But we truly never will know much if methodical methods of inquiry are thrown away, and mythology substituted in its place. Magical thinking can be comforting, and even fun, but in the end is superficial, and will not satisfy our curiosity about existence. Only findings that have some reasonable underpinings can provide nourishment for a truly open intellect. Myth and magic ultimately provide contentment only for the superficial, the disinterested, and the fearful. A truly humble, and honest, approach to existence is to admit how little we know, and then roll up our sleeves and try and expand that amount, rather than fleeing to a comforting myth, while ignoring all the obvious contridictions that this entails.
"I suspect that the universe is not only queerer than we suppose, but queerer than we can suppose"
— JBS Haldane

Return to “Authors: Tell us about your NON-FICTION book!”