• In total there are 53 users online :: 0 registered, 0 hidden and 53 guests (based on users active over the past 60 minutes)
    Most users ever online was 1086 on Mon Jul 01, 2024 9:03 am

How do you arrange your bookshelf?

The perfect space for valuable discussions that may not neatly fit within the other forums.
Forum rules
Do not promote books in this forum. Instead, promote your books in either Authors: Tell us about your FICTION book! or Authors: Tell us about your NON-FICTION book!.

All other Community Rules apply in this and all other forums.
grahdenn66
Official Newbie!

Re: How do you arrange your bookshelf?

Unread post

i arranged my bookshelf in 2 parts.in one parts there are only story and novel books and another the poems.
Both of the parts are arranged alphabetically of authors.
in the bottom part there are library and textbooks as well as my favorite books are also there
I'm going to stop spamming BookTalk.org. If I want to advertise on BookTalk.org I'll buy ad space.
Theomanic

1F - BRONZE CONTRIBUTOR
Agrees that Reading is Fundamental

Unread post

I'm a little OCD and I get antsy and upset if my books are NOT organized alphabetically. As such, I have my Fiction all alphabetically, then sorted alphabetically by title except in cases of series which are sorted as if the series title is the title of the book, and then in order of the series (not in order of publishing, like Narnia which was published in a wacky order). I have separated out series Fantasy (Dragonlance and such) which I have sorted by sets and then in order of timelines, and I have a separate bookcase for my "18 and under" books which are alpha sorted like Fiction. Any non-fiction books are sorted by category and then by author, except the computer books which are sorted by programming language and then by author. Graphic novels are sorted by title character/team, then by series order. Humour is sorted by author. .... yup! I guess the system is a little more intricate than I realized - it all seems really obvious to me.

I don't sort out my Fiction genre books because I feel often the line is blurry - for example, Hardboiled Wonderland and the End of the World is sort of a sci-fi novel, but sort of a fiction novel. But humour, nonfiction, and youth novels are pretty easy to separate.

I pretty much sort everything in my house. My DVDs are organized alphabetically, as are my blu-rays (they are not combined). My clothes are sorted by colour, as are my pens in my desk jar. When I see a bunch of anything that is not sorted but it could be, I really hate it. Gives me a gitchy feeling... hard to explain. Like I'm repressing a shudder. So it's much better to have it all sorted! If I ever remember, I'll take a pic of my bookcases. They make me very happy.
"Beware those who are always reading books" - The Genius of the Crowd, by Charles Bukowski
Theomanic

1F - BRONZE CONTRIBUTOR
Agrees that Reading is Fundamental

Unread post

Kevin wrote:I have four bookshelves. The first I'll mention is the "TO READ" Bookshelf. I place books on it in the order in which I intend to read them. I do allow myself the option of deviating from this scheduled order. At times in my reading I will be wild & unpredictable. An example: I might close my eyes, wave my arms around, and read the first book I happen to make contact with. It's almost like a mating ritual in some ways! As the bookshelf progresses along the path of being completely full to only partially full I will at some point add more books.
I know a lot of people who have "To read" shelves. Personally, it would drive me crazy to have those books pulled out and not where they belong. But also, I find what I want to read next entirely depends on my mood. So I wouldn't really see a point in having a "What to read next" thing going on because if I didn't want to read that sort of book next, I wouldn't. So I just keep all my books together - I know what I have and have not read. In a way it's fun like a bookstore, because I just skim the titles and think "Hmm... oh, that one looks neat!" and go with it.

Also, I have all my books in Delicious Library, so if I ever want to peruse and see only things I've not read, that's very easy to do.
"Beware those who are always reading books" - The Genius of the Crowd, by Charles Bukowski
caseyjo
The Great Gabsby

Unread post

Theomanic wrote:Also, I have all my books in Delicious Library, so if I ever want to peruse and see only things I've not read, that's very easy to do.
I have Delicious Library as well, and I love it. I just found all the Library of Congress call numbers for my books, and I think I'm going to start organizing them that way. I used to work in an academic library, so library of congress in conjunction with Delicious makes sense to me. I'm not great with names so I often forget what a book is called or who wrote it, but I can usually remember the subject.
bleachededen

1F - BRONZE CONTRIBUTOR
Finds books under furniture

Unread post

Theomanic wrote:I'm a little OCD and I get antsy and upset if my books are NOT organized alphabetically. As such, I have my Fiction all alphabetically, then sorted alphabetically by title except in cases of series which are sorted as if the series title is the title of the book, and then in order of the series (not in order of publishing, like Narnia which was published in a wacky order)
Narnia was published the way it was because Lewis didn't write The Magician's Nephew until after he'd written all of the others, and I believe The Horse and His Boy was also written after the rest of the series was published, so there's a discrepancy in how they are marketed. Some publishers sell the series ordered in chronological order according to their place in the Narnia story, and some publish them in the order they were written. Anytime I own this series or look for it, I make sure to have the series arranged according to Narnia time, even though I originally read them the opposite way. Reading The Magician's Nephew last is actually kind of interesting, like watching the Star Wars prequels after watching the originals (except better written and not at all disappointing :-P).
Theomanic wrote: I pretty much sort everything in my house. My DVDs are organized alphabetically, as are my blu-rays (they are not combined). My clothes are sorted by colour, as are my pens in my desk jar. When I see a bunch of anything that is not sorted but it could be, I really hate it. Gives me a gitchy feeling... hard to explain. Like I'm repressing a shudder. So it's much better to have it all sorted! If I ever remember, I'll take a pic of my bookcases. They make me very happy.
I feel the exact same way. I can't leave my house if my bed isn't made and the couch and coffee table are all straightened and the ashtrays are empty. I have been late for appointments because of this, but it would drive me crazy all day if I knew my home wasn't going to be in order when I came back to it. To me, an unmade bed is like a sign that I'm not really awake for the day and leaves me scatterbrained and crazy. OCD girls unite! :lol:
angelarichard25
Getting Comfortable

Unread post

I organize it by category like fiction,story,poem,novel,textbooks and so on.
wilde
Kindle Fanatic

Unread post

I don't organize mine by category because I don't have too many non-fiction books. :lol:
Big bright accent, catty smile
Oscar Wilde confrontation
Ah, live like it's the style.

Shelfari!
Iluvbookz13
Internet Sage

Unread post

Being an active programmer, reading is rare at most times...for quite some time now. I guess my bookshelf is organized about as well as my room is. I don't want to get into specifics on that :|
"The man who does not read books has no advantage over the man who cannot read books." - Mark Twain

"When the rich wage war, it's the poor who die." - Hands Held High, Made Famous by Linkin Park
froglipz

1G - SILVER CONTRIBUTOR
Brilliant
United States of America

Unread post

I have moved so frequently, and gotten down to the bookcases in organization so infrequently, that they are in no order at all. I try to keep series together, but otherwise looking for a particular book is like a scavenger/treasure hunt, with lots of fun finds along the way, for the first couple months anyway, then I sort of know where everything is anyway.

Other things on my shelves right now are some lego minifigures, a battery to an old laptop, my favorite headphones (the big kind, great for home use, not so good for the mp3 player) the usual assortment of candles, etc.

~froglipz~
~froglipz~

"I'm not insane, my mother had me tested"

Si vis pacem, para bellum: If you wish for peace, prepare for war.

Return to “Everything Else”