• In total there are 7 users online :: 0 registered, 0 hidden and 7 guests (based on users active over the past 60 minutes)
    Most users ever online was 1086 on Mon Jul 01, 2024 9:03 am

Do you think alcohol and drugs help writing?

An open-minded and nonjudgmental place for sharing your personal writing, seeking feedback, and reading and discussing the writing of your fellow members.
Forum rules
Do not promote books in this forum. Instead, promote your books in either Authors: Tell us about your FICTION book! or Authors: Tell us about your NON-FICTION book!.

All other Community Rules apply in this and all other forums.
Suzanne

1F - BRONZE CONTRIBUTOR
Book General

Re: Do you think alcohol and drugs help writing?

Unread post

haviZsultan wrote:Trying to write under maurijauna was actually a dream because I would be too busy being a total idiot who did things he can't even remember. My friends were the same. Losers from all walks of life.... some had been kicked out of home and vented their frustration at the bottom of the bottle, others were maurijauna junkies who you couldn't expect to be sober even at their mothers deathbed, some were even needle junkies. Obviously they were no where near successful both academically and in personal life
"Trying to write under maurijauna was actually a dream . . . " Did you produce anything while in this dream? I don't understand, are you saying it was a good thing writing under the influence of pot, or are you saying that it was a dream that maybe you can't remember?

Your original quote is spot on. Successful writers, including song writers can be alcholics and drug addicts and make money due to their name. But what about the new writer? Addiction affects life, addiction entitles you to all the benifits you mention above. How can a new writer be successful if their life is in shambles? I have to say no to this question, unless you are a recognized name, addiction will most likely cause more people to "dream" of writing than actually writing.

Hello by the way haviZsultan and welcome to BookTalk.
haviZsultan
Master Debater

Unread post

Suzanne wrote:
haviZsultan wrote:Trying to write under maurijauna was actually a dream because I would be too busy being a total idiot who did things he can't even remember. My friends were the same. Losers from all walks of life.... some had been kicked out of home and vented their frustration at the bottom of the bottle, others were maurijauna junkies who you couldn't expect to be sober even at their mothers deathbed, some were even needle junkies. Obviously they were no where near successful both academically and in personal life
"Trying to write under maurijauna was actually a dream . . . " Did you produce anything while in this dream? I don't understand, are you saying it was a good thing writing under the influence of pot, or are you saying that it was a dream that maybe you can't remember?

Your original quote is spot on. Successful writers, including song writers can be alcholics and drug addicts and make money due to their name. But what about the new writer? Addiction affects life, addiction entitles you to all the benifits you mention above. How can a new writer be successful if their life is in shambles? I have to say no to this question, unless you are a recognized name, addiction will most likely cause more people to "dream" of writing than actually writing.

Hello by the way haviZsultan and welcome to BookTalk.
I meant I wished I could write under the influence of weed but my thoughts were too confused (so I wanted to write but just couldn't)... I couldn't think straight. I have to admit it wasn't very often that I tried to write when I was high on pot but when I did I wrote things that were surprisingly stupid. Weed also pulled out my dark side, I'd be angry, crying being frustrated at everything... I'd also act very cocky sometimes.

Actually when I wrote under weed usually I didn't even know I had written something in the first place... when I turned on my laptop I noticed some new word documents... I was actually worried where they came from until much later I realized they had come from me when I was high. The thing with me is I don't remember a thing after I've done weed. :lol:

O yea thanx f4 the welcome. You're welcome to the site too. #newbieswelcomingnewbies
youkrst

1F - BRONZE CONTRIBUTOR
One with Books

Unread post

there is confusion here

the thread title is "Do you think alcohol and drugs help writing"

then there is discussion of addiction

these are very different things.

humans get addicted to just about anything. we are an addictive species. (psychology being the main problem)

i am all in favour of freedom to enjoy what you enjoy and even more in favour of freedom from addiction.

Return to “Creative Writing”