• In total there are 25 users online :: 0 registered, 0 hidden and 25 guests (based on users active over the past 60 minutes)
    Most users ever online was 1000 on Sun Jun 30, 2024 12:23 am

Devout Christianity! Living the Myth!

Engage in conversations about worldwide religions, cults, philosophy, atheism, freethought, critical thinking, and skepticism in this forum.
Forum rules
Do not promote books in this forum. Instead, promote your books in either Authors: Tell us about your FICTION book! or Authors: Tell us about your NON-FICTION book!.

All other Community Rules apply in this and all other forums.
stahrwe

1I - PLATINUM CONTIBUTOR
pets endangered by possible book avalanche

Re: Devout Christianity! Living the Myth!

Unread post

oblivion wrote:Your billionbibles and other references are simply ridiculous, Stahrwe. This is where you come out with something like this quote of yours: "In Germany, for example, Muslim men have successfully used the Sharia law in court to defend their right to beat their wives and to practice polygamy." You sit in the States, probably are unable to read a German newspaper in German and want to tell me what this country does or does not do. Muslim men--no men--are allowed to either beat their wives or practice polygamy. They have the choice of going to jail or being deported. as to the Spiegel reference, you are aware of the type of magazine that Spiegel is, I assume?
As to your remark about my not being aware--you, in Florida, are telling me, in Germany, what is going on over here. If your mastering of the German language is so complete that you are indeed reading sources in German, we could switch over to German and I could explain sections you are obviously not comprehending. Regarding the German legal system, my husband is employed directly by the German Ministry of Justice as.....guess what???
The problem in France in the banlieus center around unemployment and the Pied Noir (look it up) problem carried over from the Algerian War. It does touch on the citizens being a type of 2nd class citizen due to their origin, not to their religion. Your references, again, are coming from you in Florida. We have a house in France and spend half the year there. We also speak fluent French and follow newspapers, news on television--and talk with our neighbours. Here again, if you're following these "problems" only through your religion websites, know they're extremely baised. If you are watching French news or reading the paper, I would be happy to help you with the nuances in the language you are obviously not understanding.
I remain by my stance that fundamentalism of any nature is dangerous, backwards and evil.

If you don't like the links I posted find your own, the search resulted in page after page of them. Or better yet, give me the name of a mainstream newspaper and I'll find the articles for you. We live in an increasingly globalized world. Even foreign newspapers offer English translations and vice/versa. I don't understand your defensiveness. Germany is not alone in the pressure to adopt sharia law. We have it here in the US too. We also don't have something we used to. The last time I visited New York City we passed up a visit to the Twin Towers figuring that we would catch it the next time...

I am in the process of learning Hebrew now. The language of the only country where there will never be a controversy regarding accommodation of Sharia law.

One final thing; Look at the standard of living of Western European Countries and compare it with the standard of living of most OPEC countries. Where would you rather live?
n=Infinity
Sum n = -1/12
n=1

where n are natural numbers.
oblivion

1G - SILVER CONTRIBUTOR
Likes the book better than the movie

Unread post

No Stahrwe, I am not pulling out any links of my own for two reasons: you are pretending to be an expert on something you obviously know little about (I'll give you the benefit of the doubt and confine this statement to Germany and France) and "pull" things out of the web to suit your tastes and arguments without actually having any connection to this topic in these countries or any field of expertise regarding them. On the contrary, my husband does. Every day. That is his job. And he is an expert in his field. Why do you think he is employed by the Ministry of Justice? I have been to Dubai, the Emirates and Oman and consider these countries at least to be super-standard. Here again, we are not guessing or "pulling" things off the internet. We have been there. As I'm certain you have as well? Or are you keeping with your standard of playing The Pretender. Reference is just that, Stahrwe. It is not first-hand experience. Your comments could easily have been made by an Islamic fanatic (simply replace West with East, Muslim with Christian, etc. Fanaticism, fundamentalism, intolerance, self-righteousness and ignorance remain the same. You are reading second-hand, third-hand, 345-hand reports and without actually doing first-hand observation yourself, regard and accept these comments as truth. And there in a nutshell we have the dangers of the Bible.
Gods and spirits are parasitic--Pascal Boyer

Religion is the only force in the world that lets a person have his prejudice or hatred and feel good about it --S C Hitchcock

Believe those who are seeking the truth. Doubt those who find it. --André Gide

Reading is a majority skill but a minority art. --Julian Barnes
j guevara
Getting Comfortable

Unread post

'A lot of intelligence can be invested in ignorance when the need for myth is great'
stahrwe

1I - PLATINUM CONTIBUTOR

Unread post

j guevara wrote:'A lot of intelligence can be invested in ignorance when the need for myth is great'

And, A lot of ignorance can be invested in intelligence when the need is absolute.
n=Infinity
Sum n = -1/12
n=1

Azrael
Masters

Unread post

stahrwe wrote:
j guevara wrote:'A lot of intelligence can be invested in ignorance when the need for myth is great'

And, A lot of ignorance can be invested in intelligence when the need is absolute.
And what need or needs is that? To base your entire existence on a lie? To live by a book thats impossible to live by? Face it. You cannot live by the Bible without breaking some rule its inevitable your going to. Thats what its about, to make one feel inferior and weak and succumb to the faith of the myth. The shroud is coming off Christianity slowly but surely. Its lies and deceit are being revealed daily. All that said I am glad you have that faith to go by really cause thats all it is "faith".....and no God or Jesus plays a role in any of it only a book written by men for men inspired by men not a God or Gods..........
stahrwe

1I - PLATINUM CONTIBUTOR

Unread post

Star Burst wrote:
stahrwe wrote:

And what need or needs is that? To base your entire existence on a lie? To live by a book thats impossible to live by? Face it. You cannot live by the Bible without breaking some rule its inevitable your going to. Thats what its about, to make one feel inferior and weak and succumb to the faith of the myth. The shroud is coming off Christianity slowly but surely. Its lies and deceit are being revealed daily. All that said I am glad you have that faith to go by really cause thats all it is "faith".....and no God or Jesus plays a role in any of it only a book written by men for men inspired by men not a God or Gods..........
"To make one feel inferior," really? What lies have you been told?

Consider for a minute the possibility the God of the Bible exists and that He wants to know me (stahrwe) so intensely that He is willing to become human and die so that can happen. Is that supposed to make me feel inferior? If so, EXPLAIN WHY! Give me a break, it makes me feel exactly, 180 degrees away from inferior. Now I know that I am a handsome, intelligent and winsome prig (BT logophiles note the use of the words winsome and prig)---not, but knowing me, warts and all, He still did that.
n=Infinity
Sum n = -1/12
n=1

Interbane

1G - SILVER CONTRIBUTOR
BookTalk.org Hall of Fame
United States of America

Unread post

If so, EXPLAIN WHY! Give me a break, it makes me feel exactly, 180 degrees away from inferior.
You hit the nail on the head Stahrwe. What you need is a quick lesson on perspective. 180 degrees away from inferior means you feel "superior". The condescention wafting from a pulpit always made me feel inferior. Whatever "superiority" the preacher had, he sure didn't share it. It's an oft used religious tactic to play a guilt trip on people for being born in sin, then offering a 'way out'. I remember feeling more guilt in church than at any other time. It's a disgusting filthy belief system to put kids through that.
Azrael
Masters

Unread post

Well if it does not create inferiority what would you call it? Why is Christianity so threatened by Islam and other religions? Why? Cause they are trying to keep from looking inferior....."the way to see by faith is to shut the eye of reason" Ben Franklin....Christianity has never opened its eyes to reason. God did not create it, he did not endorse it and he never knew about it supposing he even exist which I doubt. You might say Judaism is the only religion God ever created, there again if he even exist............
President Camacho

1F - BRONZE CONTRIBUTOR
I Should Be Bronzed

Unread post

Why pick a single endemic belief system and say that it is the religion that God would have created? You know how ridiculous that sounds?!?!?! Might as well have picked some obscure cult. I agree with the rest of the post.
Azrael
Masters

Unread post

President Camacho wrote:Why pick a single endemic belief system and say that it is the religion that God would have created? You know how ridiculous that sounds?!?!?! Might as well have picked some obscure cult. I agree with the rest of the post.
And now you know the rest of the story......as Christians seem to think that Christianity is the only religion he sees or knows.

Return to “Religion & Philosophy”