• In total there is 1 user online :: 0 registered, 0 hidden and 1 guest (based on users active over the past 60 minutes)
    Most users ever online was 1000 on Sun Jun 30, 2024 12:23 am

What are you reading right now...

Share your current reading list, your impressions of the books, and whether you'd recommend them to fellow community members. Authors, please do NOT post in this forum.
Forum rules
Do not promote books in this forum. Instead, promote your books in either Authors: Tell us about your FICTION book! or Authors: Tell us about your NON-FICTION book!.

All other Community Rules apply in this and all other forums.
sabrinassabrina
Almost Comfortable

Re: What are you reading right now...

Unread post

Argh, will I ever finish the temple by reilly. I can't find it in myself to continue the book even though there is only a few pages remaining. It's so monotonous to read. Gotta finish it, gotta find out if there is a powerful ending- which I expect seeing as I read four hundred pages of repetition and manly details.
President Camacho

1F - BRONZE CONTRIBUTOR
I Should Be Bronzed

Unread post

I hate being in that position! You've already dedicated so much time that you think the author will surely compensate you for your sacrifice by giving you a worthy ending. I hope you get it. Cheers.

I'm a ways into the Iliad. I'm reading the Fitzgerald translation. I don't have vision problems but I find myself being drawn more and more frequently to books with larger font, bolder/darker print, and whiter pages.

I find I don't buy anymore Oxford Classics because I just can't read the print. It gives me a headache and takes some of the enjoyment out of reading.

With the prices that publishing companies are asking for books, there is no reason why they can't publish them with creature comforts such as readable type, pictures, and lots of maps.

When did pictures in books become childish? Which generation decided this? This needs to be done away with. I love art in my books. Wood cuttings, paintings, line drawings, sketches... anything. Different works of art can grace the pages of different editions of the same book giving an old classic some new life.

Anyway, this edition has no pictures but Homer's words and Fitzgerald's translation really doesn't need it. But... why can't there be a picture of a Trojan warrior in his armor or an Achaean warrior in his? What about a picture of the ships? What Troy may have looked like? How about a map? Every time there is a reference to a place, there should be a map.

If you're talking about a historic person and you tell your audience that he's from so and so... show them on the map where that location is or used to be and then give them a real life picture or artist's rendering of what that place may have looked like - complete with people in their natural dress.

The idea is to educate and add entertainment value by immersing readers in the book's place and time in history. Why give up this advantage in making a great book? We don't recite stories anymore, we commit stories to books. Why not make these books the best we can? Are we making them the best we can? Why do we pay $15 for mass production?
nmedugno

Unread post

I'm reading, A Soul's Journey by Peter Richelieu. Has anyone ever read it?
Enigma1969
Official Newbie!

Unread post

I am right now reading Dead until Dark by Charlaine Harris
Music is a higher revelation than all wisdom and philosophy.-Ludwig van Beethoven

I pay no attention whatever to anybody's praise or blame. I simply follow my own feelings.-Wolfgang Amadeus Mozart
becki_uk
Almost Comfortable

Unread post

Just finished "The Other Hand" by Chris Cleave and starting "Echo Burning" by Lee Child. Has anyone read either of these?
lindad_amato
Intelligent

Unread post

Hiding in the Mirror by L. Krauss. An interesting look at other dimensions for the scientifically challenged. So far I'm able to grasp and enjoy it because it is more historical than theoretical.
President Camacho

1F - BRONZE CONTRIBUTOR
I Should Be Bronzed

Unread post

Voltaire God & Human Beings
sarallieee

Unread post

I just finished reading Chronic City by Jonathan Lethem. I liked it enough to finish it, but quite a bit of it went over my head and I'm not sure what to make of it...
lindad_amato
Intelligent

Unread post

Finding George Orwell in Burma by Emma Larkin. If you like Orwell this book is very insightful to his writings. Larkin is a pseudonym for a journalist who went to Burma and followed Orwell's footsteps through the country, relating the history, culture and politics to Orwell's writings. Very interesting.

Bluebeard's Egg, short stories by Margaret Atwood. These stories are wonderful. Full of human nature and great character studies.
reader2121
Experienced

Unread post

"The Rachel Papers" by Martin Amis

"...a book about being young and knowing it."

Return to “What are you currently reading?”