• In total there are 84 users online :: 1 registered, 0 hidden and 83 guests (based on users active over the past 60 minutes)
    Most users ever online was 1086 on Mon Jul 01, 2024 9:03 am

how often do you guys read a book?

The perfect space for valuable discussions that may not neatly fit within the other forums.
Forum rules
Do not promote books in this forum. Instead, promote your books in either Authors: Tell us about your FICTION book! or Authors: Tell us about your NON-FICTION book!.

All other Community Rules apply in this and all other forums.
heledd
Doctorate

Re: how often do you guys read a book?

Unread post

I never realised how lucky I was to have a choice of books till I moved to Gambia and was basically dependent on books tourists had left behind. Surprisingly, I actually enjoyed having no choice as it forced me to read stuff which I normally would not have attempted. But I do tend to read compulsively. The Joyce Carol Oates I read through the night, and the next day. Very annoying for my partner.
Life's a glitch and then you die - The Simpsons
Avid Reader
Cunning Linguist

Unread post

It depends on the books. I always have at least one book going, sometimes two, and I guess I average about a book a week. There are some books, however, that are incredible page-turners, and in those cases I can read one in a day. This is not to say that the other, slower reads are any less enjoyable, just different in complexity requiring more thought and slower reading.
Money is a lousy way of keeping score.
tjamesmoss.author
Devoted Member

Unread post

GenMa3 wrote:well i start around 7 pm and read straight through until morning...i have insomnia and apparently i also have no life. :)
That sounds pretty lively to me!
James Vaught
All Your Posts are Belong to Us!

Unread post

"...How do you keep track of what you've read?..."

I don't have any formal method of keeping track. Generally, I remember if I've read a book, but on rare occasions I will start reading one and maybe a quarter of the way into it, suddenly realize I've read it before. Sometimes I even deliberately read one I've read before, if I think it will help my understanding of its message. Some books require several readings to pick up on the finer details.
[bookworm]
Almost Comfortable

Unread post

I am always reading. I just can't stop! I'm usually reading more than one book simultaneously! Depending on how long they are (they're usually pretty long. Short books are not my thing... I need the story to capture me for a while!) I will read around 2 or 3 books a week. Usually fiction, but I've started reading a lot more non-fiction too (but only the kind that are funny and interesting as WELL as informative :D). Also, I have a Kindle, which makes buying books dangerously easy, so I've always got books lined up to read once I finish my current ones!
candy2050
Creative Writing Student

Unread post

Thanks for the questions. I keep track of books I have read through keeping a record by author. I think reading several books at one time is like watching weekly tv shows, just pick back up right where you left off.

I love to tell people about the books I have enjoyed. Recenly I loved Water for Elephants and The Help. I also have favorite authors like Elizabeth Berg and Jennifer Weiner. I do have trouble explaining why I liked a book, not much of a writer.

PS I am not smart enough to figure out how to put your comments in my response tjamesmoss-author
candy2050
Creative Writing Student

Unread post

candy2050 wrote:Thanks for the questions. I keep track of books I have read through keeping a record by author. I think reading several books at one time is like watching weekly tv shows, just pick back up right where you left off.

I love to tell people about the books I have enjoyed. Recenly I loved Water for Elephants and The Help. I also have favorite authors like Elizabeth Berg and Jennifer Weiner. I do have trouble explaining why I liked a book, not much of a writer.

PS I am not smart enough to figure out how to put your comments in my response tjamesmoss-author

Oh I had someone help me figure it out. I puzzled forever :lol:
Tonya1000
Master Debater

Unread post

I'm always reading something,I'm reading the second book to a series right now.
James Vaught
All Your Posts are Belong to Us!

Unread post

I'm currently reading two books, one is Bill O'Reilly's "Killing Lincoln," about Lincoln's assassination. He has a co-author (whose name escapes me). I suspect the latter wrote most of it because it's actually quite good, for a historical book. The ONLY problem I have with it is that it has no footnotes. I'm almost finished with it.

The other book is the new biography of Steve Jobs, written by Walter Isaacson (sp?). For those who don't keep up with the computer world, Jobs was one of the co-founders of Apple Computers. He was quite a character, and a real pain-in-the-butt to those around him. It's also very engrossing, especially to those who are computer history buffs. One of the reasons I never bought an Apple was because the machines were always WAY overpriced, in my opinion. I had assumed that was because Jobs was extremely greedy. However, it turns out that he was overruled by the directors of the company (after it went public), who were the ones who insisted on the astronomical prices, while he fought tooth and nail in a losing battle for lower prices.
deathscythe210
Eligible to vote in book polls!

Unread post

normally i always have a book with me wherever i go. i'm actually kinda lucky cause i can read at home and at work so long as all my work is done (one of the few benefits of working over night in a convenience store/gas station). so i can get a couple in every week depending on length and how busy i am at home or at work

Return to “Everything Else”