• In total there are 18 users online :: 0 registered, 0 hidden and 18 guests (based on users active over the past 60 minutes)
    Most users ever online was 1086 on Mon Jul 01, 2024 9:03 am

The Bible Unearthed

Authors are invited and encouraged to showcase their NON-FICTION books exclusively within this forum.
Robert Tulip

2B - MOD & SILVER
BookTalk.org Hall of Fame
Australia

Re: The Bible Unearthed

Unread post

stahrwe wrote:I said 100%, not 1000%.
O holy guru strawbe, is there really a difference between 100% and 1001%?? Doesn't multiplying by ten make it even more true?
stahrwe

1I - PLATINUM CONTIBUTOR
pets endangered by possible book avalanche

Unread post

Robert Tulip wrote:
stahrwe wrote:I said 100%, not 1000%.
O holy guru strawbe, is there really a difference between 100% and 1001%?? Doesn't multiplying by ten make it even more true?
A wise man once told me that there is no such thing as a stupd question, only stupid people.
He also said, "no one is totally useless, they can always be cited as a bad example.
n=Infinity
Sum n = -1/12
n=1

where n are natural numbers.
Robert Tulip

2B - MOD & SILVER
Australia

Unread post

stahrwe wrote:the Bible legitimized the return
This is precisely the sort of thinking that Israel Finkelstein critiques in The Bible Unearthed. King Josiah said the story of David, that he actually invented, legitimized his political ambitions. Modern Zionists similarly invent fiction to claim that Israel has a divine right to its UN agreed borders, and to what they like to call "Samaria", based on the myth that King David ruled over Samaria (which includes land owned by Palestinians). Just like the US conquest over the Plains Indians of the Dakotas, the Israelis think they are on the wild west frontier where anything goes, so fine to pop off a Palestinian Sioux with a six gun uzi. The USA bankrolls this continuation of its "Bureau of Indian Affairs" war against the indigenous people of the world, to the tune of some five billion dollars a year blood money to the government of Israel.
tat tvam asi
Reading Addict

Unread post

"Strawbe"!!!

You're killing me Robert.

:lol:
stahrwe

1I - PLATINUM CONTIBUTOR
pets endangered by possible book avalanche

Unread post

Robert Tulip wrote:
stahrwe wrote:the Bible legitimized the return
This is precisely the sort of thinking that Israel Finkelstein critiques in The Bible Unearthed. King Josiah said the story of David, that he actually invented, legitimized his political ambitions. Modern Zionists similarly invent fiction to claim that Israel has a divine right to its UN agreed borders, and to what they like to call "Samaria", based on the myth that King David ruled over Samaria (which includes land owned by Palestinians). Just like the US conquest over the Plains Indians of the Dakotas, the Israelis think they are on the wild west frontier where anything goes, so fine to pop off a Palestinian Sioux with a six gun uzi. The USA bankrolls this continuation of its "Bureau of Indian Affairs" war against the indigenous people of the world, to the tune of some five billion dollars a year blood money to the government of Israel.
Australia has its own sins to atone for with respect to your aboriginals so get off your high horse. As for Israel, only Five Billion? It should be more. JerUSAlem
n=Infinity
Sum n = -1/12
n=1

where n are natural numbers.
tat tvam asi
Reading Addict

Unread post

Strawbe, you're a jackass...
Interbane

1G - SILVER CONTRIBUTOR
United States of America

Unread post

We don't say 48 regular and 15 leap years [do we?] but we have to account for them if we figure the number of days [don't we?]
If you accurately account for leap years(or per the other calendar, the additional days contained within leap "months"), you'll see that this 'prophecy is cherry picked nonsense. Do the math. Start with the start date, then account for all leap years, and you'll see the error.

Also, if you're 100% certain, your position is necessarily false. What method do you use to rule out the explanation of coincidence? Not only rule it out, but rule it out 100%, as well as every other issue, including the fact that prophecies are nonsequitur? Do you not think these are problems? Do you think I'm making them up, or that I'm wrong?

100% certainty that a prophecy is true! You amaze me more than people who believe in scientology. Just curious, do you think your certainty is justified?
tat tvam asi
Reading Addict

Unread post

The kicker here is that the so-called "prophecy" of Isaiah has to do with an exiled Jew in Babylon forecasting the Jews return back to Israel. But the prophecy wasn't entirely fulfilled as its given. It was, in all respects, a false prophecy in that sense. But they look to try and extend it to period of history when it seems to better match Isaiah's prophecy and therefore they can claim that the prophecy is true, infallible, absolute, 100%, and any other blatantly false claim that can be asserted as if it were true. But there's no way that these fundies can see it that way while they have the bliners on. It's impossible for them to step outside of the box and think about this critically.
Interbane

1G - SILVER CONTRIBUTOR
United States of America

Unread post

But there's no way that these fundies can see it that way while they have the bliners on. It's impossible for them to step outside of the box and think about this critically.
What is strange to me is that it's easy to see how frail any stance is that claims 100% certainty. Such certainty may be held, sure, but it cannot be justifed by any means other than faith, which is not a justification at all. For example, I'm not 100% certain the sun will come up tomorrow, but I have an ocean's worth of induction and reasoning to support that confidence. Compare this with the obvious problems with the "prophecy", and the absurdity of the position becomes clear.
tat tvam asi
Reading Addict

Unread post

These guys are so careless with claiming the bible as absolutely true that I suppose claims of 100% certainly just go along with the territory. It isn't certain at all.

And then suddenly the Christ Myth also opens up to what it really is. They take these uncertain bits of information - Josephus, the Gospels, Tacitus, Pliny the Younger, etc. - and claim that they prove the absolute 'certainty' of the existence of an historical Jesus as described in the Gospel stories. Once again, they claim 100% certainty when no such claim can be remotely substantiated, especially not as concerns the subject of history in general. History as a whole is full of uncertainty.

And so yes, right away when someone makes a 100% certainty claim it's a complete red flag. Everything they claim as absolute is up for critical examination immediately. And then of course the fight is on for the apologist to try and defend their false assertions grounded in 100% certainty.

I wonder how many people in the world - Christian or otherwise - browse these conversations we have here at BT on a daily a weekly basis? Christians post all the time on the book discussion forums are here, but where are they in the religion and philosophy forums? They can see these conversations at the top right of the screen running in a loop at all times. They're out there up front for everyone to see. Are the other Christians around here not confident enough to jump in and support Stahrwe? Are they too ashamed to admit that they believe similar to Stahrwe? He's left hanging most of the time. In anycase, Stahrwe's such a mental wipping post at BT that it should prompt people to think and to question these ridiculous claims that he's continually wiped for making. We all generally wipe the floor with him over and over again and everyone reading along has it all right there in plain view. Atheism and freethought is the winner time and time again...
Last edited by tat tvam asi on Fri Jun 24, 2011 3:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Return to “Authors: Tell us about your NON-FICTION book!”