• In total there are 65 users online :: 1 registered, 0 hidden and 64 guests (based on users active over the past 60 minutes)
    Most users ever online was 1086 on Mon Jul 01, 2024 9:03 am

Preachers, Priests quitely embrace the Christ myth!!!

Engage in conversations about worldwide religions, cults, philosophy, atheism, freethought, critical thinking, and skepticism in this forum.
Forum rules
Do not promote books in this forum. Instead, promote your books in either Authors: Tell us about your FICTION book! or Authors: Tell us about your NON-FICTION book!.

All other Community Rules apply in this and all other forums.
Frank 013
Worthy of Worship

Re: Preachers, Priests quitely embrace the Christ myth!!!

Unread post

Good post Tat!

I’m not surprised that they shut her down as soon as she started to make a good point… it has (as we have discussed) happened to many of us on Christian forums. It seems to be the standard tactic when a believer is pushed into a corner… shut up the person speaking rationally and try to do damage control afterwards.

Later
That which can be asserted without evidence can be dismissed without evidence.
stahrwe

1I - PLATINUM CONTIBUTOR
pets endangered by possible book avalanche

Unread post

[quote="tat tvam asi"]This was in response to an apologist trying to use Christian Persecution to refute the Alexandrian Hypothesis for Christian origins:
[quote="DM Murdock"]Firstly, what "persecution" are you talking about? And who said that Rome created Christianity? That's a straw man.
[quote]

Nice! as far as I can tell, the only sources Murdock cited were her own books, and surprise, she supports her statements. Bring her on.
n=Infinity
Sum n = -1/12
n=1

where n are natural numbers.
stahrwe

1I - PLATINUM CONTIBUTOR

Unread post

Robert Tulip wrote:
Acharya S wrote:disabuse yourself of the Christian tradition of supernatural genesis
The idea that authentic religion is natural is a big part of the critique that DM Murdock (Acharya S) presents of traditional theology. The quoted comment here indicates how Christian tradition has dogmatised on supernatural genesis, and how we should disabuse ourselves of this error.
And more propaganda.
Ever hear of the lost continent of Mu?
n=Infinity
Sum n = -1/12
n=1

stahrwe

1I - PLATINUM CONTIBUTOR

Unread post

Interbane wrote:
You are right that Christian persecution doesn't justify atheist persecution but that wasn't my point was it? My point was, if you believe in what you believe don't complain if you take some knocks for it and definately don't evade the knocks.
If the 'knocks' were actual reasoned arguments, there'd be no problem whatsoever. Instead it's nothing more than brainless bigotry. But the knocks are not the "reason" some atheists "evade" debates.

If Murdock could go on the radio and take callers and answer questions, that would be phenomenal. If you instead wish to surround Murdock with people who are as incorrigible as yourself, it's as much as waste of time as vacuuming a tree trunk. It's utterly useless. You're well aware that it's useless Stahrwe, but you continue to disregard the futility of it so you can lay blame for evasiveness. I would say the proper term is "avoid" rather than "evade". Evasion implies there is a substantial offensive that must be dodged. Which isn't the case. Every argument you've presented on BT has been a wet noodle. Avoidance is like taking a detour around a nuisance.

I certainly won't sit in front of a pile of bricks at home depot and discuss why reason is more important than faith. The bricks would likely listen more than a room full of Stahrwe's, but it would still be an exercise in futility. At least on the radio, there are ears to listen that aren't plugged with cotton. I'd think a radio broadcast would open a person up for even greater criticism, there would be a larger pool of intelligent rebuttals and questions, which is more of an actual hotseat.

I agree that I'd like to hear this discussion in mainstream media. Put Murdock on the radio or on TV.
No, by knocks I mean having boiling water poured on you because you are a Chrisitan, that happened in India in 2008.

You can Rationalize all you want but avoidance always smacks of cowardice whether your a political candidate refusing to debate or a hack with a theory and a profitable publishing business.
n=Infinity
Sum n = -1/12
n=1

stahrwe

1I - PLATINUM CONTIBUTOR

Unread post

Frank 013 wrote:
Stahrwe
Your buddies; Dawkins, Harris, Hitchens, et
That’s funny… my buddies?

I have never met these people and I certainly would not say I have any kind of relationship with them… especially not a personal relationship. I agree with most of what they have to say, but they do not speak for me, nor are they evil for what they promote. They are moral, honest people… more so than the vast majority of religious people I have encountered.

I do respect them and their expertise… and at least the people I admire aren’t imaginary... except for Captain Kirk.

So will you on the record as follows:

I, Frank013 find Sam Harris to be a forthright and moral person. I support the inflammatory statements Mr. Harris has made with respect to religion including that it would be preferable for it to be eliminated rather than rape.
Later
n=Infinity
Sum n = -1/12
n=1

tat tvam asi
Reading Addict

Unread post

stahrwe wrote:
tat tvam asi wrote:This was in response to an apologist trying to use Christian Persecution to refute the Alexandrian Hypothesis for Christian origins:
DM Murdock wrote:Firstly, what "persecution" are you talking about? And who said that Rome created Christianity? That's a straw man.
Nice! as far as I can tell, the only sources Murdock cited were her own books, and surprise, she supports her statements. Bring her on.
Strawbe, now would you be referring to Murdock explanation that she's well covered this issue of the Alexandrian Hypothesis in her book CIE?

That's not to site herself, obviously, it's to site all of the many sources given within her book CIE that appear in the chapters on the Alexandrian origins of Christianity, and there are many sources in CIE. Far too many to list individually every time it comes up in passing conversation, such as this thread.

So she refers people back to the book and people can gladly pull the sources from the book itself. The accusation of Murdock siting herself as her own source or sources is a complete straw man fallacy that more than one apologist / troll has raised over the years. And it fails every time...
Last edited by tat tvam asi on Fri Jun 24, 2011 2:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
stahrwe

1I - PLATINUM CONTIBUTOR

Unread post

tat tvam asi wrote:She's done plenty of Q&A radio sessions BTW guys. Let me look around and pull up some of the archives...
More stalling. I want to see her and ask her questions face to face.
n=Infinity
Sum n = -1/12
n=1

stahrwe

1I - PLATINUM CONTIBUTOR

Unread post

Frank 013 wrote:Good post Tat!

I’m not surprised that they shut her down as soon as she started to make a good point… it has (as we have discussed) happened to many of us on Christian forums. It seems to be the standard tactic when a believer is pushed into a corner… shut up the person speaking rationally and try to do damage control afterwards.

Later
Please show me where that happened.
n=Infinity
Sum n = -1/12
n=1

tat tvam asi
Reading Addict

Unread post

Strawbe, your last two posts are the height of all ignorance!!!

A) I posted all of her media appearances in the following post, because people were saying that she should be on the radio and appear in the media and in fact she is, and has been to some degree.

B) She was shut up and taken off the radio broadcast by Bishop Long in the radio program that I linked to in the very post that Frank is referring to!!!

Maybe if you'd pay attention before knee-jerk responding you would have known that instead of making a complete ass of yourself.
Last edited by tat tvam asi on Fri Jun 24, 2011 2:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.
stahrwe

1I - PLATINUM CONTIBUTOR

Unread post

tat tvam asi wrote:Strawbe, your last two posts are the height of all ignorance!!!

A) I posted all of her media appearances in the following post, because people were saying that she should be on the radio and appear in the media and in fact she is, and has been to some degree.

B) She was shut up and taken off the radio broadcast by Bishop Long in the radio program that I linked to in the very post that Frank is referring to!!!

Maybe if you'd pay attention before knee-jerk responding you would have known that instead of making a complete ass of yourself.
You know what, I won't wait for her to come to me. When and where is her next public event? I tried to find a schedule on FreeThoughtNation and TBK but didn't see one.
n=Infinity
Sum n = -1/12
n=1

Return to “Religion & Philosophy”