• In total there are 9 users online :: 0 registered, 0 hidden and 9 guests (based on users active over the past 60 minutes)
    Most users ever online was 1086 on Mon Jul 01, 2024 9:03 am

Is God the epitome of both good and evil?

Engage in conversations about worldwide religions, cults, philosophy, atheism, freethought, critical thinking, and skepticism in this forum.
Forum rules
Do not promote books in this forum. Instead, promote your books in either Authors: Tell us about your FICTION book! or Authors: Tell us about your NON-FICTION book!.

All other Community Rules apply in this and all other forums.
Flann 5
Nutty for Books

Re: Is God the epitome of both good and evil?

Unread post

O.k Youkrst,
Thanks.
At least you don't pretend to be an impartial investigator in your posts.
I expect you have some good reason for your anger.
I think that Christianity is unique as you know it claims to be though you think that's a problem.
As you know I think there are major differences between pagan myths and the bible such as being set in historic time and geography.
I don't think the supernatural is a fatal objection.
I can see how Balaams donkey talking may read like a myth with the proverbial dumbness of the animal contrasted with the supposed insight of the renegade prophet. Nevertheless it could be a supernatural historic event with a moral intent which is how it's interpreted in scripture.
It does seem that for some atheists the mythicist school is attractive. You know the arguments on historicity so I'm not going to add anything new here. I do wonder about stuff like Atwill's which is patently false and why some fall for it, though I'm not saying that's your view.
Interestingly, when Jesus spoke figuratively about being the good shepherd some of his listeners said he was mad. Varied reactions and I suppose it will ever be thus.
People can read and judge his words for themselves and draw their own conclusions. Sometimes his words search us too.
Movie Nerd
Intelligent

Unread post

Flann 5 wrote:Some of you guys give a new interpretation to the expression "bible bashers!"
You have your own denomination now too. It's called New Atheism or if you prefer the Brights.

You are so bright and illuminating I need to wear shades.Thanks for your radiance.
First of all, who said I was an atheist? I didn't say here whether I believe in any god or not; I was merely critiquing Biblical and denominational aspects of the Christian religion (a religion I was brought up in, mind you). Since when is critiquing something cause for one to be a militant anything?

You are the one who's being militant, for so forcefully attacking anyone who critiques your religion. Without criticism, new ideas cannot be exchanged, and there is no growth for anyone. It's called having a dialogue, an actual debate in an open marketplace of ideas; just because there's no room for self-correction or change in your religion, does not mean that those outside of that religion must adhere to that. I for one feel there have been legitimate claims positied on this thread, and they have helped me think about this religion I've been struggling with since high school.

Just because a person doesn't believe in a religion, or even in God in general, does not make them a militant. There's a difference between people like Richard Dawkins and Christopher Hitchens, people who go out of their way to try and rid the world of religion, and people like us, posting questions on a forum and trying to figure out issues we see in a religion's infrastructure.
Last edited by Movie Nerd on Fri Nov 28, 2014 12:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
I am just your typical movie nerd, postcard collector and aspiring writer.
Interbane

1G - SILVER CONTRIBUTOR
BookTalk.org Hall of Fame
United States of America

Unread post

Movie Nerd wrote:There's a difference between people like Richard Dawkins and Christopher Hitchens, people who go out of their way to try and rid the world of religion, and people like us, posting questions on a forum and trying to figure out issues we see in a religions infrastructure.
Speak for yourself. Every Sunday I dress up in my urban camo and stalk the streets with my rubber band gun looking for bible thumpers. Whenever I see one chanting on a corner I shoot him in the butt til he flees.
In the beginning the Universe was created. This has made a lot of people very angry and has been widely regarded as a bad move.” - Douglas Adams
Movie Nerd
Intelligent

Unread post

Interbane wrote:
Movie Nerd wrote:There's a difference between people like Richard Dawkins and Christopher Hitchens, people who go out of their way to try and rid the world of religion, and people like us, posting questions on a forum and trying to figure out issues we see in a religions infrastructure.
Speak for yourself. Every Sunday I dress up in my urban camo and stalk the streets with my rubber band gun looking for bible thumpers. Whenever I see one chanting on a corner I shoot him in the butt til he flees.
Oh, I'm sorry, my apologies. :lol: :clap2: :bow:
Flann 5
Nutty for Books

Unread post

Movie Nerd wrote: First of all, who said I was an atheist? I didn't say here whether I believe in any god or not; I was merely critiquing Biblical and denominational aspects of the Christian religion (a religion I was brought up in, mind you). Since when is critiquing something cause for one to be a militant anything?
Fair enough Nerd,
Certainly your tone is not hostile so I apologise for lumping you in that militant new atheist camp.You will have noticed that tones vary here so I was reacting to others more so.
You seem to persistently make atheistic arguments and even spoke of being a secular chaplain at one time.What could that mean? Could you be a theist and a secular chaplain at the same time? I don't know.
Gnostic Bishop
Just realized BookTalk.org is awesome!

Unread post

Movie Nerd wrote:
Gnostic Bishop wrote:I do not care about beliefs of others.

I just do not like seeing people put their minds in limbo. Use Huh and I have no idea.

Regards
DL
It's fine Gnostic. The first part of my post was in reference to what the first person had posted. When i asked you for clarification, it was for your response.

I can see why you wouldn't care about others' beliefs, but on a certain level the beliefs of others can affect you, so that's why we always need to question...
Indeed. I should have put positive beliefs as we definitely want to know of their negative and destructive views and beliefs and have to care about those it hurts.

Regards
DL
Gnostic Bishop
Just realized BookTalk.org is awesome!

Unread post

youkrst wrote::-D i often hear people say "thank God it's Friday" and i think, "who do you curse for monday morning?" :lol:

if they replied "The Devil, of course!" then i would ask, "and who do we have to thank for Him?" :lol:

as Robert Price occasionally remarks "Oh what a tangled web we weave when first we practice to believe"

i always remember that Sting lyric
Poets, priests and politicians
Have words to thank for their positions
Words that scream for your submission
And no one's jamming their transmission
'Cos when their eloquence escapes you
Their logic ties you up and rapes you
:-D

Art is often insightful.

Regards
DL
Movie Nerd
Intelligent

Unread post

Flann 5 wrote:
Movie Nerd wrote: First of all, who said I was an atheist? I didn't say here whether I believe in any god or not; I was merely critiquing Biblical and denominational aspects of the Christian religion (a religion I was brought up in, mind you). Since when is critiquing something cause for one to be a militant anything?
Fair enough Nerd,
Certainly your tone is not hostile so I apologise for lumping you in that militant new atheist camp.You will have noticed that tones vary here so I was reacting to others more so.
You seem to persistently make atheistic arguments and even spoke of being a secular chaplain at one time.What could that mean? Could you be a theist and a secular chaplain at the same time? I don't know.
I never said I was a secular chaplain. I don't know where you got that from.

I did comment on a thread where someone had talked about atheist chaplains; I believe it was a thread related to the Humanist Heart book being discussed now in the non-fiction forum. I was asking what being an atheist chaplain had entailed.

I don't so much make atheistic arguments as much as play out arguments which caused me to have my crisis of faith. As I've said before, I come from a Christian background, but once I hit college and started reading various things, I started to question my faith.

Between your attacks pertaining to my dad's background, to your saying I said I was a secular chaplain when I ddin't, I am getting a little tired of my words being twisted around. You and Ant have both done this to me, almost to the point where I feel as though I were being trolled. It's getting old.
Movie Nerd
Intelligent

Unread post

Gnostic Bishop wrote:
Movie Nerd wrote:
Gnostic Bishop wrote:I do not care about beliefs of others.

I just do not like seeing people put their minds in limbo. Use Huh and I have no idea.

Regards
DL
It's fine Gnostic. The first part of my post was in reference to what the first person had posted. When i asked you for clarification, it was for your response.

I can see why you wouldn't care about others' beliefs, but on a certain level the beliefs of others can affect you, so that's why we always need to question...
Indeed. I should have put positive beliefs as we definitely want to know of their negative and destructive views and beliefs and have to care about those it hurts.

Regards
DL
It's all good mate.
Flann 5
Nutty for Books

Unread post

Movie Nerd wrote:Between your attacks pertaining to my dad's background, to your saying I said I was a secular chaplain when I ddin't, I am getting a little tired of my words being twisted around.
Sorry Nerd, My mistake.
You expressed an interest in becoming a secular chaplain a while back.
I just wondered if a secular chaplain could be a theist.
But you didn't say you were a secular chaplain so you are right to correct me there. I wasn't deliberately twisting your words,but I unintentionally put it incorrectly. I should have said you spoke of interest in becoming a secular chaplain and not that you spoke of being one.
Last edited by Flann 5 on Fri Nov 28, 2014 2:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Return to “Religion & Philosophy”