• In total there are 33 users online :: 2 registered, 0 hidden and 31 guests (based on users active over the past 60 minutes)
    Most users ever online was 1086 on Mon Jul 01, 2024 9:03 am

When you die do you want to be buried or cremated?

Engage in conversations about worldwide religions, cults, philosophy, atheism, freethought, critical thinking, and skepticism in this forum.
Forum rules
Do not promote books in this forum. Instead, promote your books in either Authors: Tell us about your FICTION book! or Authors: Tell us about your NON-FICTION book!.

All other Community Rules apply in this and all other forums.

Cremated

83%
Buried

17%

Total votes: 18
Penelope

1G - SILVER CONTRIBUTOR
One more post ought to do it.

Unread post

Oh Ophelia - Absurd is the Word!!!!

And furthermore.....the French are the least absurd of the European Nations......

What hope is there for the rest of us if the French let themselves become bogged down with beaurocracy??

Keep revolting....keep being revolting....and so will we..... :laugh:
Only those become weary of angling who bring nothing to it but the idea of catching fish.

He was born with the gift of laughter and a sense that the world is mad....

Rafael Sabatini
hegel1066

1E - BANNED
Finally Comfortable

Of fromage and things:

Unread post

Ophelia, I'm not afraid when I see absurd things coming out of France. These are the people, after all, that idolize Jerry Lewis.
Ophelia

1G - SILVER CONTRIBUTOR
Oddly Attracted to Books

Unread post

Naturally, I'm always worried at absurd behaviour from France, but I wondered what you were referring to about Jerry Lewis. Some people think he's funny, but he doesn't have national star status, and I personally have never liked him.
I read at the bottom of the article about him at wikipedia that it is a common misrepresentation in the US to believe that the French have great love for him:
Un vrai stereotype populaire aux Etats-Unis qualifie les Francais comme des grands fans de Jerry Lewis.
Ophelia.
hegel1066

1E - BANNED
Finally Comfortable

Unread post

Yes, Ophelia. I don't know why it's so popular in America to assume such a thing, but there you have it. Forgive my wry sense of humor.

I would imagine it's because, in our heart of hearts, we are jealous of your health care, educational system and worldliness. And we - well, at least I - wish that Baudelaire was ours.

I'm actually quite the admirer. I can't imagine anything more special than sitting atop the Sacre-Couer with a great book on an autumn afternoon.

-John (hegel1066)
Penelope

1G - SILVER CONTRIBUTOR

Unread post

And I love the humorous characters from France.

Fernan Dell and Jacques Tatti's Monsieur Hullot.

Ophelia, have you heard of 'Paddington Bear'? They are childrens' stories about a bear from Peru adopted by an English family and they are written by Michael Bond.

Well, Michael Bond also writes humorous stories for adults about Monsieur Pampelmoose and his dog 'Pomme Frite' - who travels around France as a Restaurant Critic, like Egon Ronay.

A book about France, with French characters, written by and Englishman who is a real Francophile. Like us. :smile:
Only those become weary of angling who bring nothing to it but the idea of catching fish.

Rafael Sabatini
Ophelia

1G - SILVER CONTRIBUTOR
Oddly Attracted to Books

Unread post

I love and greatly admire Fernandel, but I don't know about "Paddington bear".
Ophelia.
jaywalker
Experienced

When you die do you want to be buried or cremated

Unread post

I've read the Michael Bond books-Monsieur Pamplemousse, and find them interesting. {Get one of those TV cooks cooking a Breste chicken wrapped in a pig's bladder and cooking for hours. ?? } I went to Rouen when I was 15 to stay with my Pen Friend in the 'Rue S'andre', there I learned what food Could be. Anybody who thinks ''The French are---' or 'The Germans are--'' is wrong, except for tautologies. Ciao J.
Penelope

1G - SILVER CONTRIBUTOR

Unread post

Jaywalker! How did I know that you would have read Pampelmousse?

And how did I know, that unlike myself, you would spell it correctly?

Ophelia: Fernandel was Don Camillo to me.

Now, Jaywalker - I bet you love Don Camillo too, don't you? And I also love the Po Valley in Italy, just because of those books.

Rafael Sabatini
Penelope

1G - SILVER CONTRIBUTOR

Unread post

P.S. I have just realised that this thread is supposed to be about being buried or cremated!!!!!

:offtopic: :offtopic: :offtopic: :t_oops:

Rafael Sabatini
jaywalker
Experienced

Unread post

Penelope-Had I realised that your spelling of Pampe thingy was wrong -I would have written it the same-out of Solidarnosch. Yes ,many years ago I read and loved Don Camillo but had forgotten him-must have another go. Wish me luck,I'm still trying to read the Dylan book my Brother sent to me and 'The Big Sky' which another bro.-him from Abingdon has sent to me. Oh and OK-Cremation then--they can smuggle my dust into the cemetary where She will be buried and scatter me over her grave. Groetjes J.

Return to “Religion & Philosophy”