• In total there are 70 users online :: 1 registered, 0 hidden and 69 guests (based on users active over the past 60 minutes)
    Most users ever online was 1000 on Sun Jun 30, 2024 12:23 am

What does your BookTalk.org name mean?

The perfect space for valuable discussions that may not neatly fit within the other forums.
Forum rules
Do not promote books in this forum. Instead, promote your books in either Authors: Tell us about your FICTION book! or Authors: Tell us about your NON-FICTION book!.

All other Community Rules apply in this and all other forums.
Penelope

1G - SILVER CONTRIBUTOR
One more post ought to do it.

Unread post

Gentlereader:
You have already converted Penelope and Thomas to aspects of your point of view.
I'm not converted to anything, least of all pseudo-scientific mumbo jumbo. I am, quite honestly, disappointed, because the time I have spent on this admirable website has taught me a lot. I now question closely why I believe what I believe. So I am grateful, and a like Frank and I love Tom, but I am disappointed.

I much prefer a good honest atheist.
Only those become weary of angling who bring nothing to it but the idea of catching fish.

He was born with the gift of laughter and a sense that the world is mad....

Rafael Sabatini
GentleReader9

1F - BRONZE CONTRIBUTOR
Internet Sage

Unread post

Penelope wrote:
I'm not converted to anything, least of all pseudo-scientific mumbo jumbo. I am, quite honestly, disappointed, because the time I have spent on this admirable website has taught me a lot. I now question closely why I believe what I believe. So I am grateful, and a like Frank and I love Tom, but I am disappointed.

Okay, Penelope, so you're not converted, which is lovely; I was mistaken. You have always been just the right you, as you are, for every moment of your life. But I must take exception to one interpretation your last sentence seems to imply:

Frank is a good, honest Atheist.

Good, honest atheists are allowed to play and imagine and tell stories and make things up for fun, too. There is a difference between a metaphor, a story, a lie, and many other kinds of self-expression that aren't The Truth. Atheists are allowed to use them as much as are believers in religious faiths. (Although I notice they are more hesitant to avail themselves of the right to do so in many instances.... :hmm: )
"Where can I find a man who has forgotten the words so that I can talk with him?"
-- Chuang-Tzu (c. 200 B.C.E.)
as quoted by Robert A. Burton
MaryLupin

1G - SILVER CONTRIBUTOR
Junior

Unread post

Penelope, I haven't been here for long (and was gone for a while as well), so forgive me if I am asking what is already well known. What do you mean when you say "a good honest atheist?"

And do you fit in that category?
I've always found it rather exciting to remember that there is a difference between what we experience and what we think it means.
Thomas Hood
Genuinely Genius

Unread post

Penelope wrote:I'm not converted to anything, least of all pseudo-scientific mumbo jumbo.
And I was just at your blog wondering how with your knees you made it up the "magic staircase" -- your very words. So deep in your heart you do believe in magic, only Lawrence has biased you toward "critical thinking"?

To quote Vachel:
Be careful what you do,
Or Mumbo-Jumbo, God of the Congo,
And all of the other
Gods of the Congo,
Mumbo-Jumbo will hoo-doo you. . .
So respect the old ways (moral of Antigone) because independent judgment may be egotism and lead astray.

Now about unlucky 13, maybe there are only twelve seats in the lifeboat?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/13_(number)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Triskaidekaphobia

I find the Loki explanation persuasive since Loki is unlucky.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sizdah_Bedar

Just emailed an Iranian to see whether he celebrated Sizdah Be-dar this year.

Tom
Thomas Hood
Genuinely Genius

Unread post

GentleReader9 wrote:There is a difference between a metaphor, a story, a lie, and many other kinds of self-expression that aren't The Truth. Atheists are allowed to use them as much as are believers in religious faiths. (Although I notice they are more hesitant to avail themselves of the right to do so in many instances....
How true! Believers have more fun and are, I think, better able to deal with the evils of the world.

Tom
Penelope

1G - SILVER CONTRIBUTOR

Unread post

Mary and GR
What do you mean when you say "a good honest atheist?"
The ones on here have spent some time sneering at superstition. Implying that I am some kind of idiot for having a belief system based on faith.

Talking about the need to be rational and have proof for our beliefs,

Causing me a lot of heart searching.....and then suddenly, it's OK for Frank to talk about lucky numbers.........

Sorry.......but I think I should cease to comment further.

Tom:
And I was just at your blog wondering how with your knees you made it up the "magic staircase" -- your very words. So deep in your heart you do believe in magic, only Lawrence has biased you toward "critical thinking"?
My knees are fine going up any staircase, hurt like hell coming down.

Lawrence, only talks about 'accepting' one another's beliefs and hasn't biased me at all. And because Chris has made his fingers bleed typing posts about being rational, and having scientific proof for our beliefs, because of his and others' seeming intensity of feeling, I have taken that seriously and thought long and hard. Now I feel quite humiliated.....but that doesn't matter, It'll teach me a much needed lesson. To keep my thoughts and beliefs to myself. :(
Only those become weary of angling who bring nothing to it but the idea of catching fish.

Rafael Sabatini
Thomas Hood
Genuinely Genius

Unread post

Penelope wrote:.....but that doesn't matter, It'll teach me a much needed lesson. To keep my thoughts and beliefs to myself.
That isn't the lesson! How are you going "to encourage the rest of the human race!!" if you sit mutely in a corner? And isn't encouragement often a subtle magic?
MaryLupin

1G - SILVER CONTRIBUTOR
Junior

Unread post

Thank you for your reply Penelope, and for your reflection. The work you have done viz how you think, what you believe and how you choose to act in the world has its own reward regardless of the circumstances that first set it in motion. In other words, the work you have done transcends its instigation and its outcome. So it doesn't matter whether the instigators have clay feet or not. The work of self reflection is what matters.

As for hiding your thoughts and beliefs, that's your choice but hiding usually just means you don't get the opportunity to start along another path of reflection.
I've always found it rather exciting to remember that there is a difference between what we experience and what we think it means.
Penelope

1G - SILVER CONTRIBUTOR

Unread post

Tom:
And isn't encouragement often a subtle magic?
It is Tom.

Sit mutely in the corner? Moi? :laugh:

Well, I can try....

One of my rules of procedure is:-

'If it gets serious, you're on the wrong track, Penny'

....and I got a bit serious there....my exasperation was making my pride hurt.....We are continually fighting our own egos are we not???

Rafael Sabatini
Thomas Hood
Genuinely Genius

Unread post

Penelope wrote: My knees are fine going up any staircase, hurt like hell coming down.
Probably you've already looked, but in case you haven't:

Pain while walking down steps is very commonly associated with kneecap problems, such as chondromalacia.
http://orthopedics.about.com/od/hipknee ... mptoms.htm

Chondromalacia
http://orthopedics.about.com/cs/patella ... alacia.htm

http://www.med.nyu.edu/patientcare/libr ... IID=100267
Patellofemoral Pain Syndrome

The patella is the bone that makes the knee cap. Patellofemoral pain syndrome is a condition in which pain is felt under the kneecap. This pain occurs during exercise or movement. It is most common during weight bearing activities such as running. It is often increased by going down stairs or down hills.

Exercise and Physical Therapy
Most people will benefit from strengthening the muscles around the knee. This includes the quadriceps muscle. It runs down the front of each thigh. Physical therapists can recommend specific exercises. This treatment is very helpful. It can take 6 to 12 weeks to see an improvement.

External Devices
Many people find relief from knee braces or knee sleeves. These devices typically have a cut-out in the knee cap area. They are designed to hold the kneecap in place during activity. Some are designed to hold the patella from going too far laterally.

Certain methods of taping the patella in position have also been helpful to many patients.

Special shoe inserts, called orthotics, may also be helpful. They are most helpful when the condition is due to dysfunction in the foot (as in flat feet or excessive pronation).
---------------------

Regular off-the-shelf shoe inserts are helpful for many conditions. I use them myself and have persuaded my sister the dancer to use them too.

Tom

Return to “Everything Else”