• In total there are 5 users online :: 0 registered, 0 hidden and 5 guests (based on users active over the past 60 minutes)
    Most users ever online was 1086 on Mon Jul 01, 2024 9:03 am

Yes. Evolution.

Engage in discussions encompassing themes like cosmology, human evolution, genetic engineering, earth science, climate change, artificial intelligence, psychology, and beyond in this forum.
Forum rules
Do not promote books in this forum. Instead, promote your books in either Authors: Tell us about your FICTION book! or Authors: Tell us about your NON-FICTION book!.

All other Community Rules apply in this and all other forums.
johnson1010
Tenured Professor

Re: Yes. Evolution.

Unread post

Lady,

that's very cool.

How did you get invovled in that project?
In the absence of God, I found Man.
-Guillermo Del Torro

Are you pushing your own short comings on us and safely hating them from a distance?

Is this the virtue of faith? To never change your mind: especially when you should?

Young Earth Creationists take offense at the idea that we have a common heritage with other animals. Why is being the descendant of a mud golem any better?
lady of shallot

1F - BRONZE CONTRIBUTOR
Genuinely Genius

Unread post

In September we took a long cruise on QM2 and one of the many interesting people we met was an orthopedic surgeon and he told us about it and recommended having it done. Its a fascinating study and easy to access. I just signed into National Geographic on line and followed the links. It cost about $125 for the analysis. males can trace either their male lineage or their female. But women who do not have a Y chromosome can only do their female. This is not only individually helpful information but also helps on a more global basis as they are able to fill in the picture(s) and migration patterns more completely.
Frank 013
Worthy of Worship

Unread post

Lady... That is AWESOME!
That which can be asserted without evidence can be dismissed without evidence.
johnson1010
Tenured Professor

Unread post

agreed.

I'm going to do this as well.
-Guillermo Del Torro

Are you pushing your own short comings on us and safely hating them from a distance?

Is this the virtue of faith? To never change your mind: especially when you should?

Young Earth Creationists take offense at the idea that we have a common heritage with other animals. Why is being the descendant of a mud golem any better?
lady of shallot

1F - BRONZE CONTRIBUTOR
Genuinely Genius

Unread post

It helps, not only the project, but for all of us as individuals to understand that our heritage as human beings is very long indeed. Of course there were other human beings preceding Mitochondrial Eve and also living at the same time as she did. Just that all of us now living are descended from this one female ancestor.
Interbane

1G - SILVER CONTRIBUTOR
BookTalk.org Hall of Fame
United States of America

Unread post

It makes me wonder what sorts of advantageous mutations she had. I could see mere chance wiping out other lineages over time, but it seems likelier that the geneticide was assisted by some sort of beneficial mutation. Geneticide 8)
lady of shallot

1F - BRONZE CONTRIBUTOR
Genuinely Genius

Unread post

The data included in the analysis does suggest some possibilities of why only her descendants have survived. They seem (as I remember) to have been more cultural (language, tool use etc.)
stahrwe

1I - PLATINUM CONTIBUTOR
pets endangered by possible book avalanche

Unread post

DWill wrote: Do I see a glimmer of progress here, admitting that evolution might not be wrong? Not much, but something. Your attitude, though, is clearly that of someone who is literally unable to see evidence because of the psychological need to defend a belief that would be blown to bits by that contradicting evidence. "No theory is perfect" is a statement that scientists probably wouldn't care to dispute. They'd only be interested in finding a theory that's backed by such a large volume of facts that it provides reliable explanations for diverse phenomena. You prefer--in this one special case, but surely not in the rest of your life--to avoid facts and evidence altogether by relying on a book that God wrote. It would be more candid of you to just give us your bottom line and drop the obfuscation.
Actually, I am not relying on anything with respect to this point. The point is that it is interesting that no one seems willing to identify blatant examples of evidence against the TOE.

Mutations are relativley rare but would have to be common in order for species to evolve. This seems to be a big problem with TOE. First, most mutations are recessive traits meaning that both parents would need to have the mutation in order for it manifest. How likely is that?
n=Infinity
Sum n = -1/12
n=1

where n are natural numbers.
johnson1010
Tenured Professor

Unread post

You have no idea what you are talking about.

Provide evidence of your assertions.
-Guillermo Del Torro

lady of shallot

1F - BRONZE CONTRIBUTOR
Genuinely Genius

Unread post

Stahrwe remember back in December I said I was going to have my DNA tested and you were skeptical about them being able to do it back through time? Here is my DNA profile. The colored letters are the mutations. Unfortunately at this point in time I do not know how to read this, but I will study up on it. Anyway someone out there will! (know how to read it)
Attachments
DNA.jpg
DNA.jpg (75.19 KiB) Viewed 4355 times

Return to “Science & Technology”