• In total there are 12 users online :: 0 registered, 0 hidden and 12 guests (based on users active over the past 60 minutes)
    Most users ever online was 1086 on Mon Jul 01, 2024 9:03 am

Currently reading?

Share your current reading list, your impressions of the books, and whether you'd recommend them to fellow community members. Authors, please do NOT post in this forum.
Forum rules
Do not promote books in this forum. Instead, promote your books in either Authors: Tell us about your FICTION book! or Authors: Tell us about your NON-FICTION book!.

All other Community Rules apply in this and all other forums.
lottebeertje
All Your Posts are Belong to Us!

Unread post

I've put aside The Count of Monte Cristo for now and I have started reading Slaughterhouse-Five (which I find enormously irritating) and Samuel Richardson's Pamela for English literature classes. Pamela is actually very good, although a little bit too religious for my taste.
danny979
Official Newbie!

Re: Currently reading?

Unread post

Hi everyone,
This is interesting topic.
I read some novels: "to whom the bell rings"; "Let the day perish"- Gerald Gordon; "gone with the wind"... so on. They are so good novels.
Now, I'm reading "Wuthering Heights" of Emily Brontë. If you know another ones like that, please show here! Or you can list some novels for me.
Thanks a lot!
See ya!
hludwig2010
Almost Comfortable

Unread post

I am currently in love with Rebecca by Daphne de Maurier
leah_girl
Master Debater

Unread post

I'm currently reading:

"Ulysses," by James Joyce
"The Foundations of Early Modern Europe," Rice and Grafton
"The Reformation," Patrick Collinson
"The Italian Renaissance," J.H. Plumb
and
"Worth the Risk," Nora Roberts

Ambitious? :) Not really, I'm a student and the top four are for school, and the last is for fun. :)
Suzanne

1F - BRONZE CONTRIBUTOR
Book General

Unread post

leah_girl wrote:I'm currently reading:

"Ulysses," by James Joyce
Wow, I haven't tackled this one yet, are you enjoying it? It looks like you are studying history from your list of books, is Ulysses for a history class, or a lit class?
hludwig2010
Almost Comfortable

Re:

Unread post

lottebeertje wrote:I've put aside The Count of Monte Cristo for now and I have started reading Slaughterhouse-Five (which I find enormously irritating) and Samuel Richardson's Pamela for English literature classes. Pamela is actually very good, although a little bit too religious for my taste.

I am very surprised you do not like Slaughterhouse. What about it do you find irritating?
leah_girl
Master Debater

Unread post

Suzanne-

"Ulysses" is honestly the most difficult book that I have ever read. I like it, but it is like dropping down right in the middle of someone's head and reading all of their thoughts. :) I was a history major, but actually swapped to Literature for some reason. :) "Ulysses" is for one of those classes. It definitely might make a good forum for discussion.
Suzanne

1F - BRONZE CONTRIBUTOR
Book General

Unread post

leah_girl wrote:"Ulysses" is honestly the most difficult book that I have ever read. I like it, but it is like dropping down right in the middle of someone's head and reading all of their thoughts.
We recently read “The Sound and the Fury”, William Faulkner, here on BookTalk. Faulkner used the stream of consciousness technique , this sounds similar to what you are describing. I have to say I am a bit jealous, I would love to take a class where I was required to read "Ulysses" because this book has been sitting on my shelf for years now. I’m a little afraid of it.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stream_of_ ... ss_writing
leah_girl wrote:It definitely might make a good forum for discussion.
I agree!
leah_girl
Master Debater

Unread post

Suzanne-

Would you like to take the class for me? :) Actually, the teacher had us start the book on the fourth chapter, he said that it would be easier to read that way. I can send you some of my notes if you like?
Schuyler84
Official Newbie!

Unread post

Just finished The Varieties of Scientific Experience: A Personal View of the Search of God by Carl Sagan. Currently reading Ishmael by Daniel Quinn :)

Return to “What are you currently reading?”