• In total there are 81 users online :: 1 registered, 0 hidden and 80 guests (based on users active over the past 60 minutes)
    Most users ever online was 1086 on Mon Jul 01, 2024 9:03 am

Worst Books You've Ever Read

The perfect space for valuable discussions that may not neatly fit within the other forums.
Forum rules
Do not promote books in this forum. Instead, promote your books in either Authors: Tell us about your FICTION book! or Authors: Tell us about your NON-FICTION book!.

All other Community Rules apply in this and all other forums.
westrumls

Re: Worst Books You've Ever Read

Unread post

"The Road to Wellville" by T.C. Boyle: TC Boyle may be considered a great American writer but his style, plot and characterizations, in my opinion, are too abstract and bizarre. This book made absolutely no sense to me whatsoever. Couldn't get past 50 pages. Why waste time on a book I found foolish when there are so many great ones out there waiting to be read. :-P
Esoldra
Creative Writing Student

Unread post

She's Come Undone by Wally Lamb- it was dismal and a chore to read.
The Physick Book of Deliverance Dane (formerly 'The Last Book of Salem')- I had high expectations of a historical fiction masterpiece and this was backed up by the credentials of the author - what I read was her gloating about her phd process and minimal information on the witch hunts in Salem.
Lord of the Flies - by Golding, I just can't identify with it
TheViolin
Getting Comfortable

Unread post

Well, right now it's The Book of Lost Things by John Connolly. The writing was horrible but the book was just gruesome and disturbing. But maybe I should have expected that.... I did not know the author before picking up the book. The premise I found decent, at first glance.... But soon it just into a digesting mess. Not to mention that the beginning was slow and the way the author kicked off the action was trite. A English boy gets transported to a magically land, during World War II..... Narnia anyone? But I'll say again the main reason I abhor this book is the amount of violence and abuse towards children.
AndiSGraham
Getting Comfortable

Unread post

The Historian by Elizabeth Kostova.

I got about 40 pages in before I realized that I didn't care for the protagonist, or her quest through Europe, or weather they killed Dracula or not... the first and only book I couldn't get through. I found a good use for it though, I use it to level the side of my writing desk that is missing it's foot!
When people walk away from you, let them go. Your destiny is never tied to anyone who leaves you, and it doesn't mean they are bad people. It just means that their part in your story is over. - Tony McCollum
lynn228
Getting Comfortable

Unread post

I think the worst book I've ever started (and didn't finish) was Lord of the Flies. I was supposed to read it in Junior High, couldn't get into it and figured the teacher was the same way b/c she gave us the book and then we never ever talked about it or were given assignments over it. Maybe I should try it again now that I'm 50 and see if it was really as bad as I thought back then!
lynn228
Getting Comfortable

Unread post

Esoldra wrote:She's Come Undone by Wally Lamb- it was dismal and a chore to read.
The Physick Book of Deliverance Dane (formerly 'The Last Book of Salem')- I had high expectations of a historical fiction masterpiece and this was backed up by the credentials of the author - what I read was her gloating about her phd process and minimal information on the witch hunts in Salem.
Lord of the Flies - by Golding, I just can't identify with it

I was heading to the library today to get She's Come Undone! I just finished I Know This Much Is True and loved it. I guess I'll find out if I have the same opinion as you in a few days! Thanks for the possible warning! :)
TheViolin
Getting Comfortable

Unread post

lynn228 wrote:I think the worst book I've ever started (and didn't finish) was Lord of the Flies. I was supposed to read it in Junior High, couldn't get into it and figured the teacher was the same way b/c she gave us the book and then we never ever talked about it or were given assignments over it. Maybe I should try it again now that I'm 50 and see if it was really as bad as I thought back then!
Most people I have talked to hate Lord of The Flies. One girl said (at my school) "This book is so boring, like, nothing happens!" In my mind I was thinking "Nothing happens! You call a bunch of boys fighting against eact other nothing!?"

Anyways, I think the reason most people don't like/appericate Lord of The Flies because they take to a too literal. The reason why the characters seem waxy and stiff and the plot seems is because the story is not about the characters or the plot. The story is about the reflection of the bad side of human nature. Practically everything in that story is a symbol, the fire, the conch, Piggy's glasses, etc. The character's represented something, for example (I actually remember this one!), Simon was a Christ-like figure who through his musings figured out a piece of information that, if his companions listened, would help them overcome their fears. However, he was killed out ignorance.

Now, I am not saying that it is the best book in the world, and it is a little annoying to read, I admit it, but it is a shame that your teacher did not pursue discussion. If the book is good for one thing it is fun to discuss.

Hm, whoops long rant sorry. I just felt that I should stick up for that book, that did enjoy, since nobody else does. :blush:
boook
Getting Comfortable

Unread post

Trish wrote:I just finished a book called The Little Friend by Donna Tartt. It started off strong and I really appreciated the accurate way she wrote child protagonists but... halfway through it the story just collapsed and meandered painfully for another 250 pages. The ending was so unsatisfying you couldn't even call it putting the reader out of his misery. But no matter how much I dislike a book, I usually finish it.

So what books have made you gag? :laugh:
I find this with not only books but other forms of entertainment. It is much easier to start a story than to finish one. Many, many movies are notorious for this. Story writing is hard and not for most people. This applies in business too. It is much easier to come up with an idea than to implement it and work on logistics.
Aqueda_Veronica
Permanent Ink Finger

Unread post

Ok, gotta come clean and say it out loud: I absolutely HATED "Scarlett letter" and "Catcher in the rye". Ugh, what a pain to go through! The only reason I did eventually finish them both off is because they were on my assigned reading list back in school.
Last edited by Aqueda_Veronica on Fri Jun 03, 2011 4:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"From childhood's hour I have not been as others were
I have not seen as others saw
I could not bring my passions from a common spring
From the same source I have not taken my sorrow
I could not awake my heart to joy at the same tone
And all I loved - I loved alone"

E.A.Poe
EndlessLaymon
Devoted Member

Unread post

Gump and Co- my God it was like torture.
Jaws 2 movie novelization -. Just plain bad.
Little Woman- Jesus Christ what a dreadful novel.
It's a scary night in the lonesome October

Return to “Everything Else”