• In total there are 30 users online :: 1 registered, 0 hidden and 29 guests (based on users active over the past 60 minutes)
    Most users ever online was 1086 on Mon Jul 01, 2024 9:03 am

The morality of the Bible?

Engage in conversations about worldwide religions, cults, philosophy, atheism, freethought, critical thinking, and skepticism in this forum.
Forum rules
Do not promote books in this forum. Instead, promote your books in either Authors: Tell us about your FICTION book! or Authors: Tell us about your NON-FICTION book!.

All other Community Rules apply in this and all other forums.
stahrwe

1I - PLATINUM CONTIBUTOR
pets endangered by possible book avalanche

Re: The morality of the Bible?

Unread post

seespotrun2008 wrote:Wow, a lot has happened since I have been able to get back to this thread!
I guess you pretty much agree that this content is not all that moral then? It's better left to that ancient time period of brutality and to promote it as moral today is very errant.
There are definitely parts of the bible that I would leave to the ancients. And hating your family is certainly not a good thing (even when they deserve it :P).
And as for biblical interpretation, the modern translations are based on going back to the oldest sources available to try and make as accurate a translation as possible.
Yes, I think they do. However, I am of the opinion that even translators bring in their own perspectives, prejudices, and biases. Just as we all do in everything that we do.
the original Greek word is "miseo," as in MISOGYNY, and it means "TO HATE." That's why it's been translated as such...
Here is the Strong's Concordance for the word in the New Testament:

http://www.blueletterbible.org/lang/lex ... 3404&t=KJV
Ok. And I looked up The New Oxford Annotated Bible( which is a much better scholarly source than the KJV) and it says the same. You could be right, we could just be stuck with someone writing that Jesus says to “hate” your family. Or that Jesus said to hate your family. I am still willing to look further, however. What did this mean in a cultural context? What was the author of this book doing? There are many, many questions.
So why try and defend this archaic literature founded on errant contradiction that most likely never even arose from any historial Jesus or disciples in the first place? You've taken up apologetics for this nonsense and I have to wonder why, when you know as much as you do about the error involved in the bible.
I love the Bible. And I love religion in general. No, I would never say that religion is perfect. But I think it is much more complicated than people like to give it credit for. Yes, people have committed atrocities in the name of religion. They have also done incredibly compassionate things in the name of religion. Marx said that “Religion is the opiate of the masses.” I agree. But it has also been the basis for individuality, social justice, and love of others. It is amazing, but not perfect. I am ok with that because nothing that human beings get involved with is perfect. But for me that does not mean that I throw the baby out with the bath water; it just means you learn what you can. And since I do believe in a God, that means listening to Her.
The bible starts off with a contradiction, that is, the first day has no firmament nor sun in the firmament by which to have a "day". The foundation of the bible begins with contradiction and many more follow through all the way to the contradictions we find here in the NT.
I would look to Karen Armstrong The History of God for a look at the creation story. She says that there were many creation stories around this time. And no one took them literally. They simply did not know how the world was created so they came up with stories to explain it. And they made theological points through these stories. No one questioned religion like we do today. There was a God. It was just deciding to choose the best one; the one that did stuff for you. :) She also says that the Judaism went through a long process. In fact, scholars are not even sure that Abraham or Moses were monotheists. The first commandment can actually mean that people believed in other Gods it is just that you will “have no other God before Yahweh.” The History of God is a fascinating book. She is not Christian either. She was raised that way but is no longer a Christian. She looks at the Bible from a purely historical perspective.
The only way to break down the bias in this country against atheists and atheism is to shine a bright light on all of this as I have done here and keep the light on it. How else? We can't openly hold office because atheists are viewed as "immoral" by the majority of the nation.
I know, it is horrible the way atheists are treated. When I read The God Delusion by Richard Dawkins the letters that people sent him were horrible. :(

As you point out, even the gospels are contradictory, but that is because they were written by men who were invested in the myths being put forth. Of course there are going to be mistakes.
Yes. I agree.
If I may, I don't think it's accurate or fair to put down what seespotrun is saying as "apologetics." She presents an independent, thoughtful perspective, very different from that in which apologists attempt to reconcile any contradiction as consistent in logic with everything else in the Bible.
Thank you, Dwill. :)
But the humanities allow and even require subjective responses and there is a lot of adjustability in the principles.
This is probably why I love the humanities.
Objectivity vs subjectivity has nothing to do with the process of study. If that were the case then why not read only one chapter of Moby Dick or two acts of Romeo and Juliet?
It most certainly does. We all have experiences, perspectives, and biases that we bring into art, literature, history, etc. I am of the opinion that there is no such thing as objectivity.
I like this post and appreciate your questions. The issue about Jesus saying that you should 'hate' your family is one of many 'hard' sayings of the Bible. Again I suggest that such sayings are more easily understood in the context of a full study of the Bible. Briefly the point is that Christians are to be a unique people. Our affections are not to be directed to the physical but to the spiritual. In that context, if one directs all of one’s love toward God one loves one’s family in the correct way. It is almost Mathematical.

If I love my wife part of my love is not available to love God.
If I love God, my love can flow through God to my wife.
n=Infinity
Sum n = -1/12
n=1

where n are natural numbers.
Interbane

1G - SILVER CONTRIBUTOR
BookTalk.org Hall of Fame
United States of America

Unread post

If I love my wife part of my love is not available to love God.
This is terrible. You're loving your family less than you should, and devoting some of your love to fictional beings. This makes me hate religion even more. You only have one life Stahrwe, you should love your family to the fullest extent while you're around!
geo

2C - MOD & GOLD
United States of America

Unread post

If there was a God I would think that he would want us to cherish our lives here on earth and the people who share our lives with us. The idea that we should forego our pleasures here in earth in anticipation of a future life with God is rather Puritan, isn't it? It's also a false dichotomy. Why would God want us to love our family less? That's sinful.
-Geo
Question everything
tat tvam asi
Reading Addict

Unread post

This is a rather interesting show based on the book:

Here's part one of the six part series on "The Bible Unearthed" where you can go to the others:

It's interesting how when housing changed from community to individual, suddenly the ancient polytheism of the Elohim pantheon becomes an evolving monotheism. The community of Gods gives way to the individual God. And the individual God is presented very much like an individual human ego.
Last edited by tat tvam asi on Wed Jul 14, 2010 7:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Seraphim
Gaining experience

Unread post

stahrwe wrote:If I love my wife part of my love is not available to love God.
What about the concept that God is present in everyone, residing in every heart? (To those who do not believe in God, think hypothetically.) Thus, by loving your wife, you are, in turn, loving God. You are loving the person He put on this earth to be your companion throughout your life. In my opinion, loving your wife is the greatest way to say 'thank you' to God.

A line from the Broadway musical Les Miserables sums it up perfectly: 'To love another person is to see the face of God.'
Deep in the human unconscious is a pervasive need for a logical universe that makes sense. But the real universe is always one step beyond logic. ~ Frank Herbert, Dune
tat tvam asi
Reading Addict

Unread post

Seraphim wrote:
What about the concept that God is present in everyone, residing in every heart? (To those who do not believe in God, think hypothetically.) Thus, by loving your wife, you are, in turn, loving God. You are loving the person He put on this earth to be your companion throughout your life. In my opinion, loving your wife is the greatest way to say 'thank you' to God.

A line from the Broadway musical Les Miserables sums it up perfectly: 'To love another person is to see the face of God.'
And this goes back to the example of Jesus demanding that if you want to be his disciple then you must hate your family and your own life.
Luke 14:26 (New International Version)
26"If anyone comes to me and does not hate his father and mother, his wife and children, his brothers and sisters—yes, even his own life—he cannot be my disciple.
But, as you must already know, Jesus has just demanded that you 'hate him' (God) in the process, because of God's presence in the people and yourself that Jesus has demanded that you hate if you want to be his disciple according to this text. Hating yourself and family equals hating Jesus / God. So which is it? Does God want you to hate or love him?

It goes both ways and it seems that these idiots were too stupid to put one and one together before making these claims which contradict other parts of scripture - that they did read in that period and should have known about already. They should have easily known the already existing notion that God is 'omnipresent' but put together this ignorant verse anyways with no consideration for how it contradicts that already established doctrine of 'omnipresence' within their own religion.

There's no sense to be made out of it aside from errant contradiction between biblical writers. I think it has more to do with the hostility of the changing of the ages in mind with it's changes in religious symbolism and no consideration was given to how it reflects back on the mystical / religious realization of God everywhere present in the process of pushing the need for people to get on board with the new symbolism designed for the new age. It wasn't well thought out, certainly not divinely inspired. Unless an all-knowing, everpresent divinity is considered to be this errant in nature.

So its always a moral book and immoral book at the very same time. And it depends on how long people are willing to cling on to it. If something better comes along which cuts the immorality, people may be inclined to lean towards it instead. If they know the bible isn't the infallible word of God, but rather the word of errant men grasping towards their concepts of God, then why would any one be too resistant towards moving on to something in the way of a far more relevant moral guide which cuts the immoral demands and behavior out altogether?
seespotrun2008

1F - BRONZE CONTRIBUTOR
Graduate Student

Unread post

Cool video, tat tvam asi. I love the history channel.
Azrael
Masters

Unread post

Seraphim wrote:

Love huh. Ordering the killing of innocent children in the Bible you call that love? People dying everyday with horrendous diseases such as cancer and other diseases. Natural diasters kill millions every year. The only love this God exhibits is a love of killing, that is if he even exists which I doubt.
tat tvam asi
Reading Addict

Unread post

Does God enjoy evil?
Isaiah 45:7
I form the light, and create darkness: I make peace, and create evil: I the LORD do all these things.

Ephesians 3:8-10
For by him were all things created, that are in heaven, and that are in earth, visible and invisible, whether they be thrones, or dominions, or principalities, or powers: all things were created by him, and for him:

Colossians 1:15-17
Thou art worthy, O Lord, to receive glory and honor and power: for thou hast created all things, and for thy pleasure they are and were created.
God therefore seems to have created evil, as He created all concepts, for his pleasure, including evil.

stahrwe

1I - PLATINUM CONTIBUTOR

Unread post

tat tvam asi wrote:Does God enjoy evil?
Isaiah 45:7
I form the light, and create darkness: I make peace, and create evil: I the LORD do all these things.

Ephesians 3:8-10
For by him were all things created, that are in heaven, and that are in earth, visible and invisible, whether they be thrones, or dominions, or principalities, or powers: all things were created by him, and for him:

Colossians 1:15-17
Thou art worthy, O Lord, to receive glory and honor and power: for thou hast created all things, and for thy pleasure they are and were created.
God therefore seems to have created evil, as He created all concepts, for his pleasure, including evil.
Tat, I truly feel sorry for you. Most of the people on BT have a secular background and deserve wide lattitude in responding to them. You do not. You have no excuse. To cobble verses together as you have done in an deliberate attempt to made the Bible say something that you know it does not is a dangerous thing to do. You have complained that your teachers did that when you were in school and from what I know of SDA I suspect they did. However, their error was in trying too hard to obey God while your error is to despise Him.
Question: "Why does Isaiah 45:7 say that God created evil?"

Answer: Isaiah 45:7 in the King James Version reads, “I form the light, and create darkness: I make peace, and create evil: I the LORD do all these things.” How does Isaiah 45:7 agree with the view that God did not create evil? There are two key facts that need to be considered. (1) The word translated “evil” is from a Hebrew word that means “adversity, affliction, calamity, distress, misery.” Notice how the other major English Bible translations render the word: “disaster” (NIV, HCSB), “calamity” (NKJV, NAS, ESV), and “woe” (NRSV). The Hebrew word can refer to moral evil, and often does have this meaning in the Hebrew Scriptures. However, due to the diversity of possible definitions, it is unwise to assume that “I create evil” in Isaiah 45:7 refers to God bringing moral evil into existence.

(2) The context of Isaiah 45:7 makes it clear that something other than “bringing moral evil into existence” is in mind. The context of Isaiah 45:7 is God rewarding Israel for obedience and punishing Israel for disobedience. God pours out salvation and blessings on those whom He favors. God brings judgment on those who continue to rebel against Him. “Woe to him who quarrels with his Master” (Isaiah 45:9). That is the person to whom God brings “evil” and “disaster.” So, rather than saying that God created “moral evil,” Isaiah 45:7 is presenting a common theme of Scripture – that God brings disaster on those who continue in hard-hearted rebellion against Him.

http://www.gotquestions.org/Isaiah-45-7.html
n=Infinity
Sum n = -1/12
n=1

where n are natural numbers.

Return to “Religion & Philosophy”