• In total there are 53 users online :: 2 registered, 0 hidden and 51 guests (based on users active over the past 60 minutes)
    Most users ever online was 1086 on Mon Jul 01, 2024 9:03 am

Abortion

Engage in conversations about worldwide religions, cults, philosophy, atheism, freethought, critical thinking, and skepticism in this forum.
Forum rules
Do not promote books in this forum. Instead, promote your books in either Authors: Tell us about your FICTION book! or Authors: Tell us about your NON-FICTION book!.

All other Community Rules apply in this and all other forums.
MidnightCoder

Re: Abortion

Unread post

Grand Moff Vixen, I'd feel slightly better about your criteria if birth control were perfect. As it stands, a couple can make every responsible choice, use redundant methods of birth control, and still end up pregnant. The implicit correlation between terminating a pregnancy for personal reasons and irresponsible sexual practices is often untrue.

For all your talk about rights, it doesn't sound like you're describing rights.
Grand Moff Vixen wrote:Social, educational, financial, and personal considerations alone do not outweigh the value of the life that is in the fetus.
So women should have the "right" to choose, so long as it doesn't depend on "Social, educational, financial, and personal considerations"? How is that a right to anything? :roll: Suzanne says it better than I do here, but this statement is just so ridiculous I feel the need to draw attention to it as well.

I also don't necessarily agree with your promotion of adoption as a preferable alternative to abortion. There's already an over-abundance of unwanted children, for which it is extremely difficult to find qualified parents for. Unnecessarily adding to that feels more socially irresponsible to me, as it means a lower quality of life for those children than they deserve, as opposed to simply never existing, with no knowledge or awareness that they ever could have existed. Wrap your brain around that before responding.
Grand Moff Vixen
Official Newbie!

Unread post

Suzanne wrote:
Grand Moff Vixen wrote:The following is how I believe on the subject. I quote this from someone else who once spoke on the matter:
If you are going to use the words of "someone else", please give them the credit, and name them.
No. Judging from the anti-christian feelings on this board I would burn in the flames that would result if I named the source.
MidnightCoder

Unread post

That statement is going to offend a lot of people here, and rightfully so. There's a whole spectrum in between non-christian and anti-christian, and you're over generalizing.

For not having the enough strength of your convictions to cite sources for material you post, you picked a hellova topic to join this community with.

edit: Oh, and for those wondering, the source of that quote is from a speech given in February 1999 by Dallin H. Oaks at Brigham Young "University"

I'll refrain from making any personal observations about that source. :wink:
Suzanne

1F - BRONZE CONTRIBUTOR
Book General

Unread post

Grand Moff Vixen wrote:No. Judging from the anti-christian feelings on this board I would burn in the flames that would result if I named the source.
Dance in the flames resulting from your lack of credibility.
Chris OConnor

1A - OWNER
BookTalk.org Hall of Fame
United States of America

Unread post

Grand Moff Vixen, there are people with all different beliefs as members of BookTalk.org. You're just as welcome as everyone else to post about your beliefs. So don't feel intimidated and afraid to speak your mind. Just know that any and all statements on BookTalk.org are subject to scrutiny. That's what we're all about. Heck, people don't give me a break and I own the site.

MidnightCoder provided the source for your quote so we now know that you're probably Mormon. If you feel inclined please start some threads and share your beliefs as I would personally love to discuss Mormonism. I lived in a Mormon foster home for about a year and a half and have fond memories of the church and people. But don't get me wrong. I don't agree with the religion and will have a lot of questions and comments for you.

I guess what I'm saying is you have to be strong if you want to enter threads on BookTalk.org about abortion, religion, current events and politics. Things get heated and there isn't much that I can do or moderators can do to keep the conversation at a calm and casual pace. There is a reason why we've all been warned not to discuss politics and religion at the dinner table. People have firm beliefs and when those beliefs are questioned they get defensive or even offensive.

I'd like to think that we're all more mature, intelligent, rational and civil around here, but from experience we all can act like jerks if the conversation is allowed to continue down the wrong path. I hope everyone can read this and make an honest attempt to be friendly and nice to everyone else. Tis not the season for arguing.

Return to “Religion & Philosophy”