• In total there are 77 users online :: 2 registered, 0 hidden and 75 guests (based on users active over the past 60 minutes)
    Most users ever online was 1086 on Mon Jul 01, 2024 9:03 am

Do you consider yourself an atheist?

Engage in conversations about worldwide religions, cults, philosophy, atheism, freethought, critical thinking, and skepticism in this forum.
Forum rules
Do not promote books in this forum. Instead, promote your books in either Authors: Tell us about your FICTION book! or Authors: Tell us about your NON-FICTION book!.

All other Community Rules apply in this and all other forums.

Do you consider yourself an atheist?

Yes, I'm an atheist

54%
No, I'm not an atheist

46%

Total votes: 74
tat tvam asi
Reading Addict

Re: Do you consider yourself an atheist?

Unread post

In essence, the "turtles all the way down" comment is a misunderstanding of what the original astromythology is symbolizing. In seeing its precessional movement purpose it makes much more sense.
karol33
Official Newbie!

Unread post

i dont belive that earth has only 6000 years (bible fact), so i must be an atheist. So just one question, if u have to belive that whole bible is true i think that everyone = atheist. THe fact is no one obey every bible commandments and i am not talking about just common 10 but when u read bible u have to notice that on every page is some of kind 'things to do to be saved'. All we have to do is start thinking but and then will be at least ...i want to recommend but probably everyone have already seen it : youtube.com/watch?v=qpVjBBDMOoA&fea ... re=related
johnson1010
Tenured Professor

Unread post

You don't have to believe the bible to be literally true to be a believer.

Probably the great majority of believers do not believe their holy text to be a literal representation of history, but rather a parable of some sort.

An atheist rejects the entire notion of a god as being un-believable. What you describe is just another branch of religion. Protestants disagree with catholics who disagree with lutherans and so on and so forth. each is a christian group.
In the absence of God, I found Man.
-Guillermo Del Torro

Are you pushing your own short comings on us and safely hating them from a distance?

Is this the virtue of faith? To never change your mind: especially when you should?

Young Earth Creationists take offense at the idea that we have a common heritage with other animals. Why is being the descendant of a mud golem any better?
Kevin
Pulitzer Prize Finalist

Unread post

I consider myself an atheist. It's more that I am anti-monotheistic religion than it being a case of my saying they are myths. So I guess I am not an atheist. I just can't see the appeal they have for so many... too bloody.
The question is not, Can they reason? nor, Can they talk? but, Can they suffer? - Jeremy Bentham
bleachededen

1F - BRONZE CONTRIBUTOR
Finds books under furniture

Unread post

I chose the "no" dial, because I don't consider myself an atheist. I am not sure that God definitely does not exist. I don't know that God does exist. The only actual label that could be given to me is agnostic, but it's not that I don't believe in any of the gods of any one religion until they prove themselves real and then I will, it's more that I constantly ask questions, no matter what philosophy is put in front of me. Even if there was definite proof that some sort of higher power exists, I'd have many questions to pose to that deity (and its followers), so no matter what, I'm a questioner. Let's make that my religious status. I'm a Questioner.
Chris OConnor

1A - OWNER
BookTalk.org Hall of Fame
United States of America

Unread post

Some of you are actually agnostic atheists. I suggest you Google that term and read about it.
bleachededen

1F - BRONZE CONTRIBUTOR

Unread post

I still like my label better. Questioner is far more accurate and easily defined than any other term, and is the only word I can use to describe myself, and I have a feeling others might think of themselves the same way.

I don't really like labels, and once you deem yourself "atheist" or "agnostic" or "agnostic atheist" you automatically gain a stigma with other people who are not as educated on the concept, causing them to automatically become defensive when certain subjects come up. "Questioner" is obvious and without the social stigmas, and says exactly what it means. I question. I am a Questioner. :-P
geo

2C - MOD & GOLD
pets endangered by possible book avalanche
United States of America

Unread post

bleachededen wrote:Let's make that my religious status. I'm a Questioner.
I consider myself a "none" (rhymes with nun!). As in what's your religious affiliation? None.

"One of the most widely noted findings from the American Religious Identification Survey (ARIS 2008), which was released in March 2009, was the substantial increase in the No Religion segment of the U.S. population, whom we designate as “Nones.” The Nones increased from 8.1% of the U.S. adult population in 1990 to 15% in 2008 and from 14 to 34 million adults. Their numbers far exceed the combined total of all the non-Christian religious groups in the U.S.

http://www.americanreligionsurvey-aris. ... NES_08.pdf
-Geo
Question everything
abbyatwood
Official Newbie!

Unread post

I would have to say yes, even though I don't like it.

For me, I cannot believe in a religion or a God. I am as devout in unbelief as the fundamentalist are in their belief. It feels wrong for me to believe in something that simply isn't. I'm a student of empirical knowledge, and the evidence is too strong.

I dislike the word atheist, and prefer antitheist. I don't like being certain of it, and wish that I could be a hopeful agnostic, but I cannot.
bleachededen

1F - BRONZE CONTRIBUTOR

Unread post

Atheist means you are sure there is no god, from the Latin, "without god." But antitheist would mean that not only do you not believe in a deity, but that you're against the idea of it. Do you really feel that way, or do you just think it sounds better (no offense meant, honestly, I'm just curious)?

Return to “Religion & Philosophy”