• In total there are 5 users online :: 2 registered, 0 hidden and 3 guests (based on users active over the past 60 minutes)
    Most users ever online was 1086 on Mon Jul 01, 2024 9:03 am

Seen any good movies recently?

Engage in discussions about your favorite movies, TV series, music, sports, comedy, cultural events, and diverse entertainment topics in this forum.
Forum rules
Do not promote books in this forum. Instead, promote your books in either Authors: Tell us about your FICTION book! or Authors: Tell us about your NON-FICTION book!.

All other Community Rules apply in this and all other forums.
hmrush
Gaining experience

Re: Seen any good movies recently?

Unread post

I just watched Crazy Heart yesterday and really enjoyed it! I thought that Jeff Bridges did a fantastic job and he wasn't a bad singer either :D I even bought the soundtrack. Gyllenhaal was also great in the film. Sad but wonderful.
H.M. Rush
"A mans errors are his portals of discovery" - James Joyce
bleachededen

1F - BRONZE CONTRIBUTOR
Finds books under furniture

Unread post

I saw Dune for the first time last night, and despite its slow pace and strange setting and story, I very much enjoyed it, making me, officially, 100% pure nerd. All I need now is an XBox 360 and some games and I'll be a living stereotype. For now, though, I'll stick to sci-fi books and movies and Shakespeare.

The movie did increase my desire to read the book, which is good. It's already on my list of books to buy/read, and now I have even more reason to want to get it.

And I'm totally going to use Muad'Dib as an exclamation from now on.
For example, in place of something like, "wow": "Check out that rainbow, it's so cool!" "Muad'Dib!"
or as an agreement, "That girl needs to learn some manners!" "Muad'Dib!"
or, just as an expletive, "Muad'Dib!"

Yep. Total nerd. Let the mockery begin. :-P
johnson1010
Tenured Professor

Unread post

Black Dynamite.

Complete mastery of awesome.
In the absence of God, I found Man.
-Guillermo Del Torro

Are you pushing your own short comings on us and safely hating them from a distance?

Is this the virtue of faith? To never change your mind: especially when you should?

Young Earth Creationists take offense at the idea that we have a common heritage with other animals. Why is being the descendant of a mud golem any better?
wilde
Kindle Fanatic

Unread post

Well, you can be a Shakespeare nerd, bleachededen. There's many types of nerds. I, for example, am a Star Wars nerd. Along with all other sorts of nerdiness.

I saw the new Nightmare on Elm Street today. It was good! Jackie Earle Haley was Freddy, which was the main reason I wanted to see it.
Big bright accent, catty smile
Oscar Wilde confrontation
Ah, live like it's the style.

Shelfari!
johnson1010
Tenured Professor

Unread post

Were you around for the original nightmare on elm street?
In the absence of God, I found Man.
-Guillermo Del Torro

Are you pushing your own short comings on us and safely hating them from a distance?

Is this the virtue of faith? To never change your mind: especially when you should?

Young Earth Creationists take offense at the idea that we have a common heritage with other animals. Why is being the descendant of a mud golem any better?
wilde
Kindle Fanatic

Unread post

When did that come out? I've seen the more iconic scenes, so I knew who Freddy was, but I haven't watched any of the movies all the way through, no.

Shelfari!
bleachededen

1F - BRONZE CONTRIBUTOR

Unread post

Wilde, the original came out in 1984. I was 2. :lol:
wilde wrote:Well, you can be a Shakespeare nerd, bleachededen. There's many types of nerds. I, for example, am a Star Wars nerd. Along with all other sorts of nerdiness.
I, too am a nerd of many sorts. Don't let my singular obsessive posts on BookTalk fool you. I am a Shakespeare nerd, as you have said, but I am also very much a Star Wars nerd, a Ghostbusters nerd, a Joss Whedon nerd, a Futurama nerd, a zombie nerd, a horror nerd, a sci-fi nerd, a history nerd, a musical nerd, a music in general nerd, a language nerd, an 80s-90s pop culture nerd, and of course, a general "I love learning and knowledge" sort of nerd.

I am not, however, in any way, shape, or form, a math nerd. I hate math, so I get out of that one.

There are probably many other things that count as some form of nerd or another, so I usually just say I am an all around nerd, and damn proud of it. Nerds of the world unite! :cylon:
wilde wrote:I saw the new Nightmare on Elm Street today. It was good! Jackie Earle Haley was Freddy, which was the main reason I wanted to see it.
I really want to see this, too. I loved Jackie Earle Haley in Watchmen, and can't wait to see how he does as Freddy, although I will miss Johnny Depp and his teen eating bed. ;)
johnson1010 wrote:Were you around for the original nightmare on elm street?
I was, but I was far too easily scared to see any of the originals as a kid. I unintentionally saw Wes Craven's New Nightmare in junior high before I had a chance to see the first one, which relieved me of any fear I had because it was so campy, and caught part of the 4th Freddy movie (it was one of the "Dream" movies, I think it was the Dream Master, not positive) on TV at like 3 am my first year of college, and I finally got to watch the original Nightmare on Elm Street a few years ago, and absolutely loved it, and I seriously wondered where it had been all my life, even though I know it would have scared the hell out of me as a kid.

It's funny that I was once terrified by even my own shadow, and now can't be scared by a movie even if I want to be. I can be disturbed for a time afterward if the subject touches on something that is personally relevant, but it's not the same as being scared. The transformation just amuses me.
wilde
Kindle Fanatic

Unread post

If you like Haley, he's on the TV show Human Target. It's a pretty good show.

Although he has this weird handlebar moustache thing going on... :shock:

Shelfari!
bleachededen

1F - BRONZE CONTRIBUTOR

Unread post

I think if they were ever to make a Sex Pistols movie, Haley should play John Lydon (Johnny Rotten). Seriously, he looks almost exactly like Johnny Rotten, and I'm sure they could work with him on making his voice sound a little higher pitched and British. That would be a rock biopic worth seeing. I'm still waiting for The Runaways, which apparently won't come to any theaters near my town. I really dislike Kristen Stewart, but I love Joan Jett so it's a film I'm willing to see despite my distaste for an actress. Who knows, maybe she'll surprise me? I did read that she's doing all her own singing, and that she actually worked with Joan Jett to learn how to do her growl. Only time will tell on that one...I'll be sure to post what I think of it here. ;)
wilde
Kindle Fanatic

Unread post

Yeah, I don't like Kristen Stewart at all either. She always looks & sounds bored, like she'd rather be anywhere else. But, apparently she did learn the guitar and sing in the movie, so I'll give her credit for that.

Shelfari!

Return to “Arts & Entertainment”