• In total there are 57 users online :: 1 registered, 0 hidden and 56 guests (based on users active over the past 60 minutes)
    Most users ever online was 1086 on Mon Jul 01, 2024 9:03 am

The morality of the Bible?

Engage in conversations about worldwide religions, cults, philosophy, atheism, freethought, critical thinking, and skepticism in this forum.
Forum rules
Do not promote books in this forum. Instead, promote your books in either Authors: Tell us about your FICTION book! or Authors: Tell us about your NON-FICTION book!.

All other Community Rules apply in this and all other forums.
stahrwe

1I - PLATINUM CONTIBUTOR
pets endangered by possible book avalanche

Re: The morality of the Bible?

Unread post

Tat's little video with the baby references two scriptures:

Psalms 51:5 "Behold, I was shapen in iniquity; and in sin did my mother conceive me." &

Romans 5:12 "Wherefore, as by one man sin entered into the world, and death by sin; and so death passed upon all men, for that all have sinned:"

Interspersed with the video of a cute baby with a sad expression these verses seem mean-spirited and represent a God of judgement and condemnation. This is a favorite tactic. If you notice, Romans 5:12 is not quoted in full, the colon indicates that there is more to the verse and the same is true with Psalms 5. Here are the complete verses:
Psalm 51 (King James Version)
1 Have mercy upon me, O God, according to thy lovingkindness: according unto the multitude of thy tender mercies blot out my transgressions.
2 Wash me throughly from mine iniquity, and cleanse me from my sin.
3 For I acknowledge my transgressions: and my sin is ever before me.
4 Against thee, thee only, have I sinned, and done this evil in thy sight: that thou mightest be justified when thou speakest, and be clear when thou judgest.
5 Behold, I was shapen in iniquity; and in sin did my mother conceive me.
6 Behold, thou desirest truth in the inward parts: and in the hidden part thou shalt make me to know wisdom.
7 Purge me with hyssop, and I shall be clean: wash me, and I shall be whiter than snow.
8 Make me to hear joy and gladness; that the bones which thou hast broken may rejoice.
9 Hide thy face from my sins, and blot out all mine iniquities.
10 Create in me a clean heart, O God; and renew a right spirit within me.
11 Cast me not away from thy presence; and take not thy holy spirit from me.
12 Restore unto me the joy of thy salvation; and uphold me with thy free spirit.
13 Then will I teach transgressors thy ways; and sinners shall be converted unto thee.
14 Deliver me from bloodguiltiness, O God, thou God of my salvation: and my tongue shall sing aloud of thy righteousness.
15 O Lord, open thou my lips; and my mouth shall shew forth thy praise.
16 For thou desirest not sacrifice; else would I give it: thou delightest not in burnt offering.
17 The sacrifices of God are a broken spirit: a broken and a contrite heart, O God, thou wilt not despise.
18 Do good in thy good pleasure unto Zion: build thou the walls of Jerusalem.
19 Then shalt thou be pleased with the sacrifices of righteousness, with burnt offering and whole burnt offering: then shall they offer bullocks upon thine altar.
Far from being condeming and judgemental this is a prayer asking for forgiveness. In fact, while I as a believer often admit verse 5 I also expectantly call out verse 10.

Romans 5 (King James Version)
1 Therefore being justified by faith, we have peace with God through our Lord Jesus Christ:
2 By whom also we have access by faith into this grace wherein we stand, and rejoice in hope of the glory of God.
3 And not only so, but we glory in tribulations also: knowing that tribulation worketh patience;
4 And patience, experience; and experience, hope:
5 And hope maketh not ashamed; because the love of God is shed abroad in our hearts by the Holy Ghost which is given unto us.
6 For when we were yet without strength, in due time Christ died for the ungodly.
7 For scarcely for a righteous man will one die: yet peradventure for a good man some would even dare to die.
8 But God commendeth his love toward us, in that, while we were yet sinners, Christ died for us.
9 Much more then, being now justified by his blood, we shall be saved from wrath through him.
10 For if, when we were enemies, we were reconciled to God by the death of his Son, much more, being reconciled, we shall be saved by his life.
11 And not only so, but we also joy in God through our Lord Jesus Christ, by whom we have now received the atonement.
12 Wherefore, as by one man sin entered into the world, and death by sin; and so death passed upon all men, for that all have sinned:
13 (For until the law sin was in the world: but sin is not imputed when there is no law.
14 Nevertheless death reigned from Adam to Moses, even over them that had not sinned after the similitude of Adam's transgression, who is the figure of him that was to come.
15 But not as the offence, so also is the free gift. For if through the offence of one many be dead, much more the grace of God, and the gift by grace, which is by one man, Jesus Christ, hath abounded unto many.
16 And not as it was by one that sinned, so is the gift: for the judgment was by one to condemnation, but the free gift is of many offences unto justification.
17 For if by one man's offence death reigned by one; much more they which receive abundance of grace and of the gift of righteousness shall reign in life by one, Jesus Christ.)
18 Therefore as by the offence of one judgment came upon all men to condemnation; even so by the righteousness of one the free gift came upon all men unto justification of life.
19 For as by one man's disobedience many were made sinners, so by the obedience of one shall many be made righteous.
20 Moreover the law entered, that the offence might abound. But where sin abounded, grace did much more abound:
21 That as sin hath reigned unto death, even so might grace reign through righteousness unto eternal life by Jesus Christ our Lord.
Especially note verse 8. Tat, did you forget verse 8? It is one of those clarion verses that you should have learned in SDA school. Perhaps your little video did not include it becaused it conflicts with the theme. How about verse 6, verse 7, verse 2, verse 9. I think the producers picked a poor verse with this one.
n=Infinity
Sum n = -1/12
n=1

where n are natural numbers.
tat tvam asi
Reading Addict

Unread post

The video is about the concept of original sin. Do any of these verses some how change the doctrine of original sin in the bible? Of course not. And the whole theme of the video makes light of just how ridiculous the doctrine of original sin actually is when taken "literally" and pushed on to small children as literal truth. I was one of those babies given this doctrine from birth. You, unfortunately, fell for it as an adult having never had it impressed on you as a child but falling for it hook, line, and sinker much later for whatever the attraction. Now you're racing around the forum trying to some how apologize for it all when there is no sound apology to be made.

You need to get something straight here Stahrwe. I was brought up believing that God had no beginning and will have no end. Angels were created by God. There was later a war in heaven, Lucifer and a third of the angels were cast out, the plan of salvation was in place before sin entered this world, and everything horrible described in the OT is due to God making the people lie in the bed of sin that they have created for themselves. All of the murder, rape, and atrocities are all excused as God teaching these sinners a lesson on the wages of living in a world of sin and what that entales and how it's the wrong choice to make. And all the while He is setting up for salvation through the messiah yet to come who will bear all of the sins of the world. I know all of these apologies already Stahrwe. And in knowing them I reject them as invalid when taken as a literal history of the universe! You're apologetic posts summarize my starting point in life and your final conclusions are but the very beginning of the path towards truth, not final or absolute at all. It's very obvious to those who are familiar with these age old apologetics. And it's from these apologies that I've since moved on and decided to carefully consider them and move further up the path of truth seeking towards greater knowledge and understanding.
Isaiah 45:7
I form the light, and create darkness: I make peace, and create evil: I the LORD do all these things.
And now the apology you've quoted:
The Hebrew word can refer to moral evil, and often does have this meaning in the Hebrew Scriptures. However, due to the diversity of possible definitions, it is unwise to assume that “I create evil” in Isaiah 45:7 refers to God bringing moral evil into existence.
In other words, this makes the apologist uneasy and so he has to try and point to the possibility of diverse meanings even though it does indeed refer to moral evil in the hebrew scriptures. The "light" and "darkness" reference directly before hand makes the context very clear. "Light" is metaphorical for good while "darkness" is metaphorical for "evil". The apologist is basically saying that it sure would be helpful if this verse meant something else so lets go ahead and pretend that it does. But, when it comes to God's creation the NT writers in the other verses I quoted decided to clarify - in keeping with the very same unity underlying all duality ideas expressed here in Isaiah - on just what God, the "creator", has created, to be very specific about it in the text:
Ephesians 3:8-10
For by him were all things created, that are in heaven, and that are in earth, visible and invisible, whether they be thrones, or dominions, or principalities, or powers: all things were created by him, and for him:

Colossians 1:15-17
Thou art worthy, O Lord, to receive glory and honor and power: for thou hast created all things, and for thy pleasure they are and were created.
Now Stahrwe, "all things" means what?

Does it mean some things ("light") but not others ("darkness")?

This is an example of why you'll never be able to apologize the contradictions of the bible away. There is a mix of small minded statements along with very deep contemplation and expression all thrown in together. Some verses are short sided focusing on "light" while rejecting "darkness" while others are much deeper seeing through to the unity underlying these dual categories. The particular verses I've posted here touch on the omnipresence of God and they are very deep in that respect compared to the smaller minded "hate your family and own life" attributed to Jesus earlier. Everything - all that is considered good or bad, "light" or "dark" - God the creator has in fact "created" accorded to the depth of it. That's the very definition of an omnipresent creator, or source of everything that is. It's necessarily everywhere and in "all things" except when viewing the world from a more short sided perspective, which is also given out in the bible as well at other times. God is something apart from the world in some verses but "The All" in others.

Have you ever asked yourself where Lucifer came from orginally? Or the earth and Man? At some point it narrows down backwards to having to have come from God at some point, just like "all things". If the plan of salvation was in effect before the fall of man in the garden then that plan dates all the way back to the creation of Lucifer himself, even before that, and God having created this entire scenario of the entrance of evil out of himself in order to play out in such a way that he alone had knowledge of the specifics of the entire playing out of the emergence of evil from the very beginning. That's the definition of being the all knowing and everywhere present creating source of "all things". One could conclude that the entire fall of man theme is being played by but one eternal and infinitely present character who is constantly interacting with himself the entire time through the entire struggle. All of that which is perceived as good ("light") as well as all of that which is perceived as evil ("darkness"), all of it!

And this mysterious eternally ever present story line character actually breaks down to representing the eternal Realm of Existence itself in a very direct way! As they have Paul saying to the Stoic philosophers and others at Athens:
Acts 17:26-28
26And hath made of one blood all nations of men for to dwell on all the face of the earth, and hath determined the times before appointed, and the bounds of their habitation;

27That they should seek the Lord, if haply they might feel after him, and find him, though he be not far from every one of us:

28For in him we live, and move, and have our being; as certain also of your own poets have said, For we are also his offspring.

The eternal Realm of Existence itself (which can be given no one fixed beginning or end to speak of) is the very source, end, and supporting ground of "all things" which 'exist'. For in the eternal Realm of Existence (him) we live, and move, and have our being. Hint, hint. Yahweh basically means "to be, to exist". That's the great "I am that I am" (I was, am, and will be / past, present, and future) in a nut shell. It's the one thing which is common to "all things" linking everything together as one no matter how diverse or opposite any two given things like "light" and "darkness" may seem. It's the deeper philosophical content which contradicts the smaller minded content and at the same time consumes all of it because it stands to correct the small mindedness. And therefore the Realm of Existence (him) is mythologized as the all knowing, the ever present, the all powerful, etc. etc., God. This is a primary function of world mythology and I am aware of it. This deeper philosophical content being portrayed as given out to the Stoic philosophers at Athens is a situation where the deeper philosophical realization is being used to try and proselytize the deep thinkers of the pagan elite out there who understand the deeper meaning of God into Pauls message to the gentiles.

The Realm of Existence (him) can seem very harsh and brutal at times, especially to the ancient mind as is described in the OT texts that have been quoted. That's where we find the Realm of Existence (him) being personified as an angry deity bringing war and chaos at times. But the Realm of Existence (him) can also seem very loving at other times despite it's perceived harshness, and so we find a dual nature to the personification of the Realm of Existence - a dual nature to the mythic eternal ever present God with no beginning or end. It's both. How could it be otherwise - one but not the other and at the same time ever present in "all things"? Ultimately, even though the eternal Realm of Existence (him) is responsible for everything we see and experience - whether viewed as good or evil, "light" or "dark" - the Realm of Existence (him) can also seem "all good" regardless of it's dark side features. One can be greatful to exist and grateful that existence can be experienced in the first place, rather than there not being any existence to speak of at all. All of the good and the bad, the "light" and "darkness" both, can be viewed as something that is supposed to be happening for whatever the underlying reason may be. And that's where we find the eternal Realm of Existence personified as an 'eternal deity God' who brings both love and hate, fear and courage, "light" and "darkness", and who is being promoted as ultimately "all good" in the mythology with it's final analysis about 'mere existence'.

And that basically summarizes any apology you or anyone else can ever make about God being "all good" by simply putting the eternal deity personification of your chosen myth into it's proper mythological context. The whole thing is about the eternal Realm of Existence and when people finally 'get it' the gig is up! The whole apologetic illusion crumbles apart in an instant. All of the trying to excuse the harshness of these verses suddenly back fires on you. The harshness of this eternal God is actually a big part of figuring out that the eternal God represents existence itself. That's why I say that these orthodox type apologies are built up from sand foundations. They're based on "not knowing". When knowing arrives the sand foundation is washed away and the apologetic structure, no matter how high, proud, and whatever boastful exclusivity claims have come with it, falls down to the ground in an instant.

Hopefully some one out there will be following along with this discussion some day and suddenly 'get it' due to what we've outlined here so far. And you're helping that process along by throwing up these orthodox based apologies which are so easily summarized and put into their mythological perspectives. So thank you for your ongoing contributions to the general enlightenment process Stahrwe. It's much appreciated. Some viewers may well take off from the starting point you've outlined here, which represents the fundamentalist view of course, and then eventually move on to proceed up the path from not understanding and not knowing how these contradictive verses meet and merge towards eventually knowing and understanding very clearly. It's a personal journey that no one else can take for any one else. The best help that can be given is a map of point A (Stahrwe) to point Z ("Tat Tvam Asi" / "Thou Art That"). The mythologies were put together by ancient minds to try and serve that function. They are guides for the living of a life and dealing with it's mystery along the way. And I would be wrong for thinking that having someone to represent point A of the journey is unnecessary in the world right now. It's actually still very necessary in the grand scheme of things. And I can honestly accept, affirm, and appreciate you for who and what you are and what you represent here on the internet in this day and age. You merely serve your function to the best of your abilities and I serve mine likewise. Ultimately I understand that we're two aspects of the very same thing - the Realm of Existence itself. Nothing can exist as separate, apart from, or unrelated to the Realm of Existence with is the source of "all things". We're both actually that. You're here to deny it while I'm here to confirm it. And, ultimately, the whole process of the existence of this denial and confirmation of the unity factor underlying all perceived duality is a good thing as I see it. In other words Existence / God is "all good" despite its dark features. We can actually agree on that point even from opposing perspectives of the mythology (literal verses symbolic)...
stahrwe

1I - PLATINUM CONTIBUTOR

Unread post

tat tvam asi wrote:The video is about the concept of original sin. Do any of these verses some how change the doctrine of original sin in the bible? Of course not. And the whole theme of the video makes light of just how ridiculous the doctrine of original sin actually is when taken "literally" and pushed on to small children as literal truth. I was one of those babies given this doctrine from birth. You, unfortunately, fell for it as an adult having never had it impressed on you as a child but falling for it hook, line, and sinker much later for whatever the attraction. Now you're racing around the forum trying to some how apologize for it all when there is no sound apology to be made.

You need to get something straight here Stahrwe. I was brought up believing that God had no beginning and will have no end. Angels were created by God. There was later a war in heaven, Lucifer and a third of the angels were cast out, the plan of salvation was in place before sin entered this world, and everything horrible described in the OT is due to God making the people lie in the bed of sin that they have created for themselves. All of the murder, rape, and atrocities are all excused as God teaching these sinners a lesson on the wages of living in a world of sin and what that entales and how it's the wrong choice to make. And all the while He is setting up for salvation through the messiah yet to come who will bear all of the sins of the world. I know all of these apologies already Stahrwe. And in knowing them I reject them as invalid when taken as a literal history of the universe! You're apologetic posts summarize my starting point in life and your final conclusions are but the very beginning of the path towards truth, not final or absolute at all. It's very obvious to those who are familiar with these age old apologetics. And it's from these apologies that I've since moved on and decided to carefully consider them and move further up the path of truth seeking towards greater knowledge and understanding.
Tat, actually you have quite a bit wrong. While it is true that we live in a ruined world, and that misery and crime are a result; were God to fix it, hit a reset button to the Garden of Eden, we would repeat the same error. How do I know? Because your explanation of the OT and God’s interaction is flawed. God was not static in His dealings with mankind. First there was Noah and the flood. That was a kind of reset button. That did not work so God selected a group of people to work with (the Jews). They rebelled so He had a series of Judges who would confront the Jews with their sins. They would repent, promise to follow God and start over. Things would be good for awhile then they would slip away again. That happened seven times. Finally, the Jews claimed that they could not stay on track without a king so God allowed them to have a king. The result was civil war and a divided kingdom. Finally God sent prophets to point out the sins of the nation and the Jews still failed. Why was God’s plan so ineffectual? Pay attention. It was not ineffectual! He had to demonstrate that the only way to restoration was through the Messiah. Every other way had been tried and failed. The only way left was to send His Son.

Your concept of Original Sin is also flawed. If the members of BT have the stomach for it we can discuss it but suffice it to say that the baby in the video you posted is in no danger due

As for the apologetics, you have not matured. I started a strong believer, went through a time of rejection every bit as strong as yours but I reached a point where my doubt confronted my doubt and I was able to see beyond it.

Isaiah 45:7
I form the light, and create darkness: I make peace, and create evil: I the LORD do all these things.
tat tvam asi wrote:And now the apology you've quoted:
The Hebrew word can refer to moral evil, and often does have this meaning in the Hebrew Scriptures. However, due to the diversity of possible definitions, it is unwise to assume that “I create evil” in Isaiah 45:7 refers to God bringing moral evil into existence.
In other words, this makes the apologist uneasy and so he has to try and point to the possibility of diverse meanings even though it does indeed refer to moral evil in the hebrew scriptures. The "light" and "darkness" reference directly before hand makes the context very clear. "Light" is metaphorical for good while "darkness" is metaphorical for "evil". The apologist is basically saying that it sure would be helpful if this verse meant something else so lets go ahead and pretend that it does. But, when it comes to God's creation the NT writers in the other verses I quoted decided to clarify - in keeping with the very same unity underlying all duality ideas expressed here in Isaiah - on just what God, the "creator", has created, to be very specific about it in the text:
Ephesians 3:8-10
For by him were all things created, that are in heaven, and that are in earth, visible and invisible, whether they be thrones, or dominions, or principalities, or powers: all things were created by him, and for him:

Colossians 1:15-17
Thou art worthy, O Lord, to receive glory and honor and power: for thou hast created all things, and for thy pleasure they are and were created.
Now Stahrwe, "all things" means what?

Does it mean some things ("light") but not others ("darkness")?

This is an example of why you'll never be able to apologize the contradictions of the bible away. There is a mix of small minded statements along with very deep contemplation and expression all thrown in together. Some verses are short sided focusing on "light" while rejecting "darkness" while others are much deeper seeing through to the unity underlying these dual categories. The particular verses I've posted here touch on the omnipresence of God and they are very deep in that respect compared to the smaller minded "hate your family and own life" attributed to Jesus earlier. Everything - all that is considered good or bad, "light" or "dark" - God the creator has in fact "created" accorded to the depth of it. That's the very definition of an omnipresent creator, or source of everything that is. It's necessarily everywhere and in "all things" except when viewing the world from a more short sided perspective, which is also given out in the bible as well at other times. God is something apart from the world in some verses but "The All" in others.
I believe you mean omnipotence not omnipresence. That correction being said, once again you miss the boat. You are ascribing motives to the commentary which are not needed. In fact, since God created everything, it is arguable that He is also responsible for the creation of evil provided that we qualify that by agreeing that God is not evil nor is He capable of evil. In the discussion we had on omnipotence it is demonstrable that in order for God to create he must create creatures which are capable of evil. The commentary could have explained that if that was the point of the verses but since it wasn’t the author approached it from a linguistic point of view.

I thought we discussed the "hate your family" concept prevously but it doesn't hurt to do so again. When we love in a carnal way; person to peron, love becomes perverse and distorted. But if we love God, then we have an unlimited resource of love that we can draw from and our love relationships are wholesome and pure. To love God in that way is not an easy thing to do. It requires a radical redirection of what feels natural, radical to the extendt that it seems as if we have used all of love up on God and can direct only carnal hate to others. What is left is to love others in Christ. When that is achieved the relationship is perfection.

tat tvam asi wrote:Have you ever asked yourself where Lucifer came from orginally?
Any one with a basic familiarity with the Bible does not need to ask ‘himself’ that question.
tat tvam asi wrote:Or the earth and Man? At some point it narrows down backwards to having to have come from God at some point, just like "all things". If the plan of salvation was in effect before the fall of man in the garden then that plan dates all the way back to the creation of Lucifer himself, even before that, and God having created this entire scenario of the entrance of evil out of himself in order to play out in such a way that he alone had knowledge of the specifics of the entire playing out of the emergence of evil from the very beginning. That's the definition of being the all knowing and everywhere present creating source of "all things". One could conclude that the entire fall of man theme is being played by but one eternal and infinitely present character who is constantly interacting with himself the entire time through the entire struggle. All of that which is perceived as good ("light") as well as all of that which is perceived as evil ("darkness"), all of it!
Now you are getting all wrapped around the concept of predestination. However that works, we have what we have and the fact that God knew the end at the beginning should not surprise or confound an old SDA like yourself since He is the Alpha and Omega. I must say that your conclusion of God interacting with Himself is just nutty.

I made the above comment before reading the read of you post. Having now done so, I reaffirm my assessment and leave you to chase your tail throughout eternity with the following caution and suggestion. You are trying to place yourself in the role of God. You are not I Am. My suggestion: take a six month break from Murdock. You need to clear your thinking.
n=Infinity
Sum n = -1/12
n=1

tat tvam asi
Reading Addict

Unread post

Stahrwe you sound very much like some friends of mine who had all gone atheist in high school around the time I did but have since gone back to the church. The problem is that they were never really atheists. They had no knowledge base to work from. They just decided that God seemed foolish and then later gravitated back to theism. There was no researching the history of religious evolution, there was no seeking the question of absolute ultimates, there wasn't any of that on their part. And so they were sucked right back in as they matured and fears associated with the knowledge of ones mortality began to grab at them later in life. But those who sought knowledge are still very atheist and a few pantheistic like me. You obviously never sought any deeper knowledge along the way or you would have easily found it.

So lets find it right now shall we. Can you please separate God from the Realm Existence for me. Be very specific about what exactly separates the two in your mind. We have to start there and proceed. Here's a quick Christian website overview on the attribute of omnipresence.
http://www.parentcompany.com/awareness_of_god/aog11.htm

God is Omnipresent

Definition:

The attribute of God by which He fills the universe in all its parts and is present everywhere at once. Not a part, but the whole of God is present in every place. This is true of all three members of the Trinity. They are so closely related that where one is the others can be said to be, also.

Meaning:

Therefore, when man is sinning God is there. If a child is doing something a parent has told him not to do, God is there. There is no place man can go to hide from God.

Scripture Support:

Psalm 139:8
If I ascend up into heaven, thou art there: if I make my bed in hell, behold, thou art there.

Jeremiah 23:23,24
Am I a God at hand, saith the Lord, and not a God afar off? Can any hide himself in secret places that I shall not see him? saith the Lord. Do not I fill heaven and earth? saith the Lord...

Conclusion:

There is no place to go where God is not already there.

Application:

I need to be serving God everywhere, not just at certain places like church or with my family. I need to be aware of God's presence at all times and walk with Him always.
Now by the Realm of Existence I mean the entire universe and beyond. The whole of existence. Not just the earth, not just this universe, but anywhere up to an infinite amount of existence beyond our range of perception. That's the eternal Realm of Existence itself. There is no boundary, no stopping point, and no possible way of anything existing which is not specifically of the fabric and structure of existence itself. That goes for anything you believe exists. Heaven, Hell, Souls, Spirits, Gods, Demons, whatever. It's all of the Realm of Existence no matter how you approach it. So go ahead and have a hand at trying to separate God from the Realm of Existence as two distinctly separate things without tossing out his omnipresent attribute in the process. You need to face this mystery in your own mind to have any hope of understanding what I've been trying to relate to you thus far.
stahrwe

1I - PLATINUM CONTIBUTOR

Unread post

tat tvam asi wrote:Stahrwe you sound very much like some friends of mine who had all gone atheist in high school around the time I did but have since gone back to the church. The problem is that they were never really atheists. They had no knowledge base to work from. They just decided that God seemed foolish and then later gravitated back to theism. There was no researching the history of religious evolution, there was no seeking the question of absolute ultimates, there wasn't any of that on their part. And so they were sucked right back in as they matured and fears associated with the knowledge of ones mortality began to grab at them later in life. But those who sought knowledge are still very atheist and a few pantheistic like me. You obviously never sought any deeper knowledge along the way or you would have easily found it.
I suspect the mortality issue had very little to do with their change. It is a common element of spiritual maturing. I suspect that you inflate the mortality reason in you explanation of their decision as an excuse you can dismiss.
tat tvam asi wrote:So lets find it right now shall we. Can you please separate God from the Realm Existence for me. Be very specific about what exactly separates the two in your mind. We have to start there and proceed...
http://www.parentcompany.com/awareness_of_god/aog11.htm

God is Omnipresent

Definition:

The attribute of God by which He fills the universe in all its parts and is present everywhere at once. Not a part, but the whole of God is present in every place. This is true of all three members of the Trinity. They are so closely related that where one is the others can be said to be, also.

Meaning:

Therefore, when man is sinning God is there. If a child is doing something a parent has told him not to do, God is there. There is no place man can go to hide from God.

Scripture Support:

Psalm 139:8
If I ascend up into heaven, thou art there: if I make my bed in hell, behold, thou art there.

Jeremiah 23:23,24
Am I a God at hand, saith the Lord, and not a God afar off? Can any hide himself in secret places that I shall not see him? saith the Lord. Do not I fill heaven and earth? saith the Lord.

Ephesians 2:22
In whom ye also are builded together for an habitation of God through the Spirit.

Psalm 113:5
Who is like unto the Lord our God, who dwelleth on high.

Psalm 123:1
Unto thee lift I up mine eyes, O thou that dwellest in the heavens.

I Kings 8:27
But will God indeed dwell on the earth? behold, the heaven and heaven of heavens cannot contain thee; how much less this house that I have builded?

Matthew 6:9
After this manner therefore pray ye: Our Father which art in heaven, Hallowed be thy name.

Hebrews 1:3
Who being the brightness of his glory, and the express image of his person, and upholding all things by the word of his power, when he had by himself purged our sins, sat down on the right hand of the Majesty on high;

I Corinthians 1:27
But God hath chosen the foolish things of the world to confound the wise; and God hath chosen the weak things of the world to confound the things which are mighty.

Matthew 18:20
For where two or three are gathered together in my name, there am I in the midst of them.

Romans 10:6,7
But the righteousness which is of faith speaketh on this wise, Say not in thine heart, Who shall ascend into heaven? Or, Who shall descend into the deep?

Romans 8:9
But ye are not in the flesh, but in the Spirit, if so be that the Spirit of God dwell in you. Now if any man have not the Spirit of Christ, he is none of his.

Conclusion:

There is no place to go where God is not already there.

Application:

I need to be serving God everywhere, not just at certain places like church or with my family. I need to be aware of God's presence at all times and walk with Him always.
The notion of serving God in everything we do is fundamental to Christian belief and along with being aware of His presence and always walking with Him is something we try, but often fail to achieve.

tat tvam asi wrote:Now by the Realm of Existence I mean the entire universe and beyond. The whole of existence. Not just the earth, not just this universe, but anywhere up to an infinite amount of existence beyond our range of perception. That's the eternal Realm of Existence itself. There is no boundary, no stopping point, and no possible way of anything existing which is not specifically of the fabric and structure of existence itself. That goes for anything you believe exists. Heaven, Hell, Souls, Spirits, Gods, Demons, whatever. It's all of the Realm of Existence no matter how you approach it. So go ahead and have a hand at trying to separate God from the Realm of Existence as two distinctly separate things without tossing out his omnipresent attribute in the process. You need to face this mystery in your own mind to have any hope of understanding what I've been trying to relate to you thus far.
[/quote]

God is omnipresent. I won't limit it by saying He is everywhere. I will leave it to His own words to explain. He said, "I am." I don't see the issue.

Did you ever answer my questions:

Can property inherit property?

Does Murdock believe that the mother of Horus remained a virgin perpetually?
n=Infinity
Sum n = -1/12
n=1

tat tvam asi
Reading Addict

Unread post

Stahrwe wrote:God is omnipresent. I won't limit it by saying He is everywhere. I will leave it to His own words to explain. He said, "I am." I don't see the issue.
Good. So then we are together on God's presence being everywhere, boundless, limitless, and so on. Everywhere means no limitation. And "I am" means that existence "is". Existence is present. And likewise God is present in good as well as evil then, just as the verses say. You've basically agreed there as well. The issue is that existence is present everywhere, boundless, limitless, and so on. We can't fathom a beginning nor end to existence by any stretch of the imagination.

So on one hand we have God which is omnipresent and on the other hand we have the Realm of Existence which is necessarily omnipresent. God / Existence, being omnipresent, means that its a major part of you and everything else around you at the same time.
Acts 17:27-28
27 That they should seek the Lord, if haply they might feel after him, and find him, though he be not far from every one of us: For in him we live, and move, and have our being; as certain also of your own poets have said, For we are also his offspring.
We exist in the omnipresent God. We exist in the omnipresent Realm of Existence. So if you're now agreeing that God and Existence are the very same thing, the uncaused cause as it were, then there is nothing that is not God. Just as everything is in and of the Realm of Existence everything is in and of God. Light and Darkness are in and of God, in and of the Realm of Existence. Anything that you can point your finger at as 'other' is an interconnected part of you. Why? because you both exist. You're both a manifestation of the Realm of Existence itself, of God himself. And to deny this is to deny God as it turns out. Are you here to deny God or affirm God Stahrwe?
Stahrwe wrote:Did you ever answer my questions:

When women are treated as property (sold, slaved, ect.) and women are allowed to own land as well, then yes. A man's property, his woman, can inherit land. Do you think that changes womens status in the bible? Does that mean women were not created for man according the bible which set a standard of sexism thereafter?
Stahrwe wrote:Does Murdock believe that the mother of Horus remained a virgin perpetually?
Of course not. We're talking about mythology. There was no historical Osiris, Isis, nor Horus, nor any historical perpetual virginity to begin with. You're trying to literalize the myth with your line of questioning. It's about a dawn Goddess with stellar associations. The virgin dawn is perpetually the virgin dawn every morning. It gives birth to the morning sun over and over again perpetually while remaining the virgin dawn. Virgo is perpetually the constellation Virgo as well. It rises on the eastern horizon after midnight every winter solstice and the sun rises behind Virgo. Myths have been made about these things and come out to being about virgin births. That's why these Goddess myths use the mythological motif of perpetual virginity in the first place. It isn't meant to refer to a literal virgin who brings fourth and remains a virgin. And she makes that very clear in the chapter "The Virgin Isis-Meri". You would have already known that if you read the chapter by the way.
Last edited by tat tvam asi on Tue Jul 27, 2010 5:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Azrael
Masters

Unread post

God is omni nothing! If he knows everything then why did he have to ask where Adam and Eve were in the Garden of Eden if he is so psychic he should have known where they were right? Sounds to me like your God as a lot of issues that even he cannot fix.
stahrwe

1I - PLATINUM CONTIBUTOR

Unread post

Star Burst wrote:God is omni nothing! If he knows everything then why did he have to ask where Adam and Eve were in the Garden of Eden if he is so psychic he should have known where they were right? Sounds to me like your God as a lot of issues that even he cannot fix.
Because, He was giving them the opportunity to come forward and admit what they had done. They already had been shown that they had messed up. The loss of the glory they had been clothed with showed that and it was obvious to them that God knew they had disobeyed. Now God was giving them the change to make it right but the damage was done. Instead of confessing Adam blames Eve and God, and Eve blames Satan.

And in fact, He did fix the problem.
n=Infinity
Sum n = -1/12
n=1

johnson1010
Tenured Professor

Unread post

being omniscient, he already knew that they would lie.

Why ask? For the story. The story written by men to control other men. Men who did not fully appreciate the idea of omniscience, and who were probably not writing their character with omniscience in mind.
In the absence of God, I found Man.
-Guillermo Del Torro

Are you pushing your own short comings on us and safely hating them from a distance?

Is this the virtue of faith? To never change your mind: especially when you should?

Young Earth Creationists take offense at the idea that we have a common heritage with other animals. Why is being the descendant of a mud golem any better?
stahrwe

1I - PLATINUM CONTIBUTOR

Unread post

tat tvam asi wrote:
Stahrwe wrote:God is omnipresent. I won't limit it by saying He is everywhere. I will leave it to His own words to explain. He said, "I am." I don't see the issue.
Good. So then we are together on God's presence being everywhere, boundless, limitless, and so on. Everywhere means no limitation. And "I am" means that existence "is". Existence is present. And likewise God is present in good as well as evil then, just as the verses say.
Whoa cowboy. That might work for Murdock but not for you. Saying that God is everywhere is not the same as saying that God is in evil. You're going to get nowhere with that.
tat tvam asi wrote:You've basically agreed there as well. The issue is that existence is present everywhere, boundless, limitless, and so on. We can't fathom a beginning nor end to existence by any stretch of the imagination.

So on one hand we have God which is omnipresent and on the other hand we have the Realm of Existence which is necessarily omnipresent. God / Existence, being omnipresent, means that its a major part of you and everything else around you at the same time.
I don't know where you are going with this but I would interject the following:

The fact that something is difficult to imagine does not mean it is not. I can't imagine 1 trillion dollars but $1 trillion exists. (Even the attempts to explain $1 trillion are unimaginable).
Therefore though the universe is immense, it is not infinite.

That is not true of God. God is infinite. He existed before time and will exist after time ends. He exists within the iniverse and beyond the universe.

tat tvam asi wrote:
Acts 17:27-28
27 That they should seek the Lord, if haply they might feel after him, and find him, though he be not far from every one of us: For in him we live, and move, and have our being; as certain also of your own poets have said, For we are also his offspring.
We exist in the omnipresent God. We exist in the omnipresent Realm of Existence. So if you're now agreeing that God and Existence are the very same thing, the uncaused cause as it were, then there is nothing that is not God. Just as everything is in and of the Realm of Existence everything is in and of God. Light and Darkness are in and of God, in and of the Realm of Existence. Anything that you can point your finger at as 'other' is an interconnected part of you. Why? because you both exist. You're both a manifestation of the Realm of Existence itself, of God himself. And to deny this is to deny God as it turns out. Are you here to deny God or affirm God Stahrwe?
I am here to deny your confusion which is great. You take unrelated elements and mix them up in your mind to your disservice. I repeat my suggestion that you take a break from Murdock.

We do not exist in God. We have our own separate existence.
The realm of existence is not omnipresent. It has limits God does not.
God is not an uncaused cause.

Tat, when you say, "Anything that you can point your finger at as 'other' is an interconnected part of you. Why? because you both exist."

This has to be one of the most ridiculous things I have ever read. I am sorry to say that but someone needs to tell you that what you are saying makes no sense. Worse than that, it is like the babbling of an old stoner.
tat tvam asi wrote:You're both a manifestation of the Realm of Existence itself, of God himself. And to deny this is to deny God as it turns out.
No, we are creations of God

Stahrwe wrote:Did you ever answer my questions:

When women are treated as property (sold, slaved, ect.) and women are allowed to own land as well, then yes. A man's property, his woman, can inherit land. Do you think that changes womens status in the bible? Does that mean women were not created for man according the bible which set a standard of sexism thereafter? [/quote]

I will take this as a dodge to my question. Obviously property can not inherit property. I can't leave my 401K to my refrigerator. I remind you that women in countries with a Christian heritage have had and continue to have much better lives than women in non-Christian countries.

Stahrwe wrote:Does Murdock believe that the mother of Horus remained a virgin perpetually?
tat tvam asi wrote:Of course not. We're talking about mythology. There was no historical Osiris, Isis, nor Horus, nor any historical perpetual virginity to begin with. You're trying to literalize the myth with your line of questioning. It's about a dawn Goddess with stellar associations. The virgin dawn is perpetually the virgin dawn every morning. It gives birth to the morning sun over and over again perpetually while remaining the virgin dawn. Virgo is perpetually the constellation Virgo as well. It rises on the eastern horizon after midnight every winter solstice and the sun rises behind Virgo. Myths have been made about these things and come out to being about virgin births. That's why these Goddess myths use the mythological motif of perpetual virginity in the first place. It isn't meant to refer to a literal virgin who brings fourth and remains a virgin. And she makes that very clear in the chapter "The Virgin Isis-Meri". You would have already known that if you read the chapter by the way.
Another dodge. You don't want to answer the question affirmitavely as that would destroy Murdock's credibility.
n=Infinity
Sum n = -1/12
n=1

Return to “Religion & Philosophy”