• In total there are 4 users online :: 0 registered, 0 hidden and 4 guests (based on users active over the past 60 minutes)
    Most users ever online was 1086 on Mon Jul 01, 2024 9:03 am

Fiction selections needed for Sep./Oct. discussion

Assist us in selecting our upcoming FICTION book for group discussion in this forum. A minimum of 5 posts is required to participate here!
Theomanic

1F - BRONZE CONTRIBUTOR
Agrees that Reading is Fundamental

Re: Fiction selections needed for Sep./Oct. discussion

Unread post

Flatland seems like it might be neat. Even if it isn't, it's short at least. Though that makes me wonder how much there is to talk about in it...

The Good Man Jesus and the Scoundrel Christ seems sort of similar in theme to Good Omens. I'm certain they're fairly different, but two books that allude to Christian mythology in a row seem a bit much.

Beyond that I still stick with my original opinions! :)

FYI, I found it questionable that people would refuse to read Japanese writers because Japanese is a race, not a genre.
"Beware those who are always reading books" - The Genius of the Crowd, by Charles Bukowski
President Camacho

1F - BRONZE CONTRIBUTOR
I Should Be Bronzed

Unread post

Who didn't want to read what the Japanese write? That's weird. I don't remember that. I must have missed it.
Genocide
Intern

Unread post

Wasn't the discussion about how people didn't want to read books taking place in Japan?
Dropping glasses just to hear them break.
bleachededen

1F - BRONZE CONTRIBUTOR
Finds books under furniture

Unread post

Theomanic wrote:FYI, I found it questionable that people would refuse to read Japanese writers because Japanese is a race, not a genre.
Theomanic, you're adding a layer of contention that wasn't present in the statements made about the Japanese books. It wasn't a REFUSAL to read the books, it was an "I don't feel like reading that at this moment," and had nothing to do with Japanese race or culture, there just happened to be three incredibly similar books up for suggestion, and it felt that no matter which book was chosen, the same path would be followed. The comment about "those Japanese books" referred to them only a) jokingly, 2) outside of the suggestion thread, and d) only to describe what all three selected had in common, and to suggest that there was no variety, and therefore not much of a "choice". I still don't understand why you are harping on the subject, since the official book chosen was written by a Japanese author, suggested by you, with you as the discussion leader, so it seems pretty silly to continue to complain about that now.
Theomanic wrote:The Good Man Jesus and the Scoundrel Christ seems sort of similar in theme to Good Omens. I'm certain they're fairly different, but two books that allude to Christian mythology in a row seem a bit much.
Your complaint about having two Christian themed books read in a row also seems to contradict your earlier statement, since most of the books last time were similar in theme and style, and two were even by the same author, and yet you had no problem with the hegemony then. Most people on this site didn't read Good Omens, so I think it's safe to say a different book with a religious theme wouldn't really be overkill, especially when it's by a completely different author and treated a completely different way. I think it's a perfectly reasonable suggestion and 100% fair game.

Can we get back to actual suggestions, please?
President Camacho

1F - BRONZE CONTRIBUTOR
I Should Be Bronzed

Unread post

:help:
lindad_amato
Intelligent

Unread post

How about something by Salman Rushdie?
Genocide
Intern

Unread post

Okay so I was a little foggy on what has been recommended so far so I made this if anyone else wants to take a gander.

"The Tin Drum" by Günter Grass
“Les Misérable” by Victor Hugo
“Blindness” by Jose Saramago
“Pride and Prejudice” by Jane Austen
“The Jungle” by Upton Sinclair
“Hunchback of Notre Dame” by Victor Hugo
“Grapes of Wrath” by John Steinbeck
“East of Eden” by John Steinbeck
“Beowulf”
“Madame Bovary” by Gustave Flaubert
“Animal Farm” by George Orwell
“Fahrenheit 451” by Ray Bradbury
“Brave New World” by Aldous Huxley
“Stranger in a Strange Land” by Robert Heinlein
“The Handmaid's Tal”e by Margaret Atwood
“Shades of Grey” by Jasper Fforde
“The Girl with Glass Feet” by Ali Shaw
‘Xombies” by Walter Greatshell
“The Good Man Jesus and the Scoundrel Christ” by Philip Pullman
"Flatland" by Edwin Abot

Something by Salman Rushdie...
bleachededen

1F - BRONZE CONTRIBUTOR
Finds books under furniture

Unread post

Thanks, Gen. I'll see what I can do to narrow the list based on what people have said. Those I don't bold or comment on have not had any negative feedback.

"The Tin Drum" by Günter Grass -- I don't want to read this, and neither does oblivion, as in Germany they are overexposed to it.

“Les Misérable” by Victor Hugo -- I am not ready for Les Miserables, and I believe wilde said she wasn't either, but don't quote me.

“Blindness” by Jose Saramago

“Pride and Prejudice” by Jane Austen -- Neither wilde or I want to read this.

“The Jungle” by Upton Sinclair -- Theomanic does not want to read this.

“Hunchback of Notre Dame” by Victor Hugo -- I believe someone has already read this and would not like to read it again.

“Grapes of Wrath” by John Steinbeck
“East of Eden” by John Steinbeck
--I believe Theomanic (as well as myself) are opposed to Steinbeck.

“Beowulf” -- wilde and I both have expressed that we do not wish to read this again.

“Madame Bovary” by Gustave Flaubert
“Animal Farm” by George Orwell
“Fahrenheit 451” by Ray Bradbury
“Brave New World” by Aldous Huxley
-- These are all second reads for many of us, and I'm pretty sure the only thing we all agree on is that we want to read something new.

“Stranger in a Strange Land” by Robert Heinlein -- this would be a second read for someone, and wasn't their first Heinlein choice. I suggested I would stop reading where I am in the book now to take up an agreed upon fiction book.

“The Handmaid's Tal”e by Margaret Atwood -- while several people are interested in this book, a few have already read it and have expressed their desire not to read it again.

“Shades of Grey” by Jasper Fforde
“The Girl with Glass Feet” by Ali Shaw
‘Xombies” by Walter Greatshell

“The Good Man Jesus and the Scoundrel Christ” by Philip Pullman -- I would really like to read this, as would oblivion; Theomanic thinks this follows too closely on the heels of Good Omens.

"Flatland" by Edwin Abot -- I personally would not want to read this, and Theomanic mentioned that it is short and may therefore not generate adequate discussion.

I think that's the breakdown so far. You can correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe this is where we stand as of now. Also, the only books that have been "officially" suggested were The Tin Drum, Xombies, The Girl With the Glass Feet, The Good Man Jesus and the Scoundrel Christ, and Flatland. The rest were mentioned in passing, or as an offer of compromise.

Are we any closer to where we'd like to be now? :(
Last edited by bleachededen on Fri Jul 23, 2010 5:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Suzanne

1F - BRONZE CONTRIBUTOR
Book General

Unread post

So, here we have our official list of nominated books.

"The Tin Drum"Gunter Grass

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/produc ... 55&s=books

"When Günter Grass published The Tin Drum in 1959, it was as if German literature had been granted a new beginning after decades of linguistic and moral destruction. Within the pages of this, his first novel, Grass re-created the lost world from which his creativity sprang: Danzig, his home town, as he remembered it from the years of his infancy before the catastrophe of war. Here he comes to grips with the enormous task of reviewing contemporary history by recalling the disavowed and the forgotten: the victims, losers, and lies that people wanted to forget because they had once believed in them. The unforgettable Oskar Matzerath is an intellectual whose critical approach is childishness, a one-man carnival, dadaism in action in everyday German provincial life just when this small world becomes involved in the sanity of the great world surrounding it. It is not too audacious to assume that The Tin Drum will become one of the enduring literary works of the twentieth century."-- The Swedish Academy, awarding Günter Grass the Nobel Prize for Literature, 1999

The Tin Drum uses savage comedy and a stiff dose of magical realism to capture not only the madness of war, but also the black cancer at the heart of humanity that allows such degradations to occur. Grass wields his humor like a knife--yes, he'll make you laugh, but he'll make you bleed, as well. There have been many novels written about World War II, but only a handful can truly be called great; The Tin Drum, without a doubt, is one. --Alix Wilber

Blindness by Jose Saramago

http://www.amazon.com/Blindness-Harvest ... 0156007754

Blindness is in many ways a horrific novel, detailing as it does the total breakdown in society that follows upon this most unnatural disaster. Saramago takes his characters to the very edge of humanity and then pushes them over the precipice. His people learn to live in inexpressible filth, they commit acts of both unspeakable violence and amazing generosity that would have been unimaginable to them before the tragedy. The very structure of society itself alters to suit the circumstances as once-civilized, urban dwellers become ragged nomads traveling by touch from building to building in search of food. The devil is in the details, and Saramago has imagined for us in all its devastation a hell where those who went blind in the streets can never find their homes again, where people are reduced to eating chickens raw and packs of dogs roam the excrement-covered sidewalks scavenging from corpses.

"The Handmaid's Tale"
"In a startling departure from her previous novels ( Lady Oracle , Surfacing ), respected Canadian poet and novelist Atwood presents here a fable of the near future. In the Republic of Gilead, formerly the United States, far-right Schlafly/Falwell-type ideals have been carried to extremes in the monotheocratic government. The resulting society is a feminist's nightmare: women are strictly controlled, unable to have jobs or money and assigned to various classes: the chaste, childless Wives; the housekeeping Marthas; and the reproductive Handmaids, who turn their offspring over to the "morally fit" Wives. The tale is told by Offred (read: "of Fred"), a Handmaid who recalls the past and tells how the chilling society came to be. "

http://www.amazon.com/Handmaids-Tale-Ev ... 471&sr=1-1

Shades of Grey by Jasper Fforde
http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_noss? ... 313&fsc=-1

"This inventive fantasy from bestseller Fforde (The Eyre Affair) imagines a screwball future in which social castes and protocols are rigidly defined by acuteness of personal color perception. Centuries after the cryptically cataclysmic Something That Happened, a Colortocracy, founded on the inflexible absolutes of the chromatic scale, rules the world. Amiable Eddie Russett, a young Red, is looking forward to marrying a notch up on the palette and settling down to a complacent bourgeois life. But after meeting Jane G-23, a rebellious working-class Grey, and a discredited, invisible historian known as the Apocryphal man, Eddie finds himself questioning the hitherto sacred foundations of the status quo. En route to finding out what turned things topsy-turvy, Eddie navigates a vividly imagined landscape whose every facet is steeped in the author's remarkably detailed color scheme." Amazon

The Girl with Glass Feet by Ali Shaw

http://www.amazon.com/Girl-Glass-Feet-N ... 158&sr=8-1

"The cold northern islands of St. Hauda's Land are home to strange creatures and intertwining human secrets in Shaw's earnest, magic-tinged debut. Ida Maclaird returns to the archipelago to find a cure for the condition her last visit brought her—she is slowly turning into glass. The landscape is at once beautiful and ominous, and its residents mistrustful, but she grows close to Midas Crook, a young man who, despite his intention to spend his life alone, falls in love with Ida and becomes desperate to save her. Their quest leads them to Henry Fuwa, a hermit biologist devoted to preserving the moth-winged bull, a species of insect-sized winged bovines; to Carl Mausen, a friend of Ida's family whose devotion to her mother makes him both ally and enemy; and finally to Emiliana Stallows, who claims to have once cured a girl with Ida's affliction. Each of these characters' histories intertwine, though their motivations surrounding Ida are muddled by their loyalties. Both love story and dirge, Shaw's novel flows gracefully and is wonderfully dreamlike, with the danger of the islands matched by the characters' dark pasts. (Jan.)
Copyright © Reed Business Information, a division of Reed Elsevier Inc. All rights reserved.

The Good Man Jesus and the Scoundrel Christ
by Philip Pullman

On Amazon: amazon.com/Good-Jesus-Scoundrel-Christ- ... 41WJRGXAO1

From Amazon.com:

Quote:
The Good Man Jesus and the Scoundrel Christ is the remarkable new piece of fiction from best-selling and famously atheistic author Philip Pullman. By challenging the events of the gospels, Pullman puts forward his own compelling and plausible version of the life of Jesus, and in so doing, does what all great books do: makes the reader ask questions.

In Pullman’s own words, “The story I tell comes out of the tension within the dual nature of Jesus Christ, but what I do with it is my responsibility alone. Parts of it read like a novel, parts like history, and parts like a fairy tale; I wanted it to be like that because it is, among other things, a story about how stories become stories.”

Written with unstinting authority, The Good Man Jesus and the Scoundrel Christ is a pithy, erudite, subtle, and powerful book by a controversial and beloved author. It is a text to be read and reread, studied and unpacked, much like the Good Book itself.

"Flatland" by Edwin Abot

http://www.amazon.com/Flatland-Illustra ... 786&sr=1-1

"Unless you're a mathematician, the chances of you reading any novels about geometry are probably slender. But if you read only two in your life, these are the ones. Taken together, they form a couple of accessible and charming explanations of geometry and physics for the curious non-mathematician. Flatland, which is also available under separate cover, was published in 1880 and imagines a two-dimensional world inhabited by sentient geometric shapes who think their planar world is all there is. But one Flatlander, a Square, discovers the existence of a third dimension and the limits of his world's assumptions about reality and comes to understand the confusing problem of higher dimensions. The book is also quite a funny satire on society and class distinctions of Victorian England. The further mathematical fantasy, Sphereland, published 60 years later, revisits the world of Flatland in time to explore the mind-bending theories created by Albert Einstein, whose work so completely altered the scientific understanding of space, time, and matter. Among Einstein's many challenges to common sense were the ideas of curved space, an expanding universe and the fact that light does not travel in a straight line. Without use of the mathematical formulae that bar most non-scientists from an understanding of Einstein's theories, Sphereland gives lay readers ways to start comprehending these confusing but fundamental questions of our reality" Amazon
Genocide
Intern

Unread post

Hurray for narrowing it down from twenty to eight!

Bleached, I just looked it up and "Flatland" by Edwin A. Abbott is 148 pages which does seem rather short... BUT if you pair it up with "Sphereland" it's 352.

Amazon has the two in one.

Return to “What fiction book should we read and discuss next?”