• In total there are 35 users online :: 3 registered, 0 hidden and 32 guests (based on users active over the past 60 minutes)
    Most users ever online was 1086 on Mon Jul 01, 2024 9:03 am

Epistemology and Biblical Evidence

Engage in conversations about worldwide religions, cults, philosophy, atheism, freethought, critical thinking, and skepticism in this forum.
Forum rules
Do not promote books in this forum. Instead, promote your books in either Authors: Tell us about your FICTION book! or Authors: Tell us about your NON-FICTION book!.

All other Community Rules apply in this and all other forums.
Interbane

1G - SILVER CONTRIBUTOR
BookTalk.org Hall of Fame
United States of America

Re: Epistemology and Biblical Evidence

Unread post

I suggest that you read the federal rules of evidence and supporting legal theory with respect to ancient documents.
I'm not dismissing it as hearsay. I'm asking for you to support it. If you cannot support it, then we can disregard it.

Here's the problem. You're attempting to use an unsupported premise to support a claim. This is classic invalid logic. You're making the same mistake, again. The submission of evidence is not the question. Your submission of evidence is valid, I'm not dismissing it as hearsay. But submission of evidence is not analysis of evidence. When analyzed, we find an unsupported premise so thus need additional evidence to support that premise.

You lose another finger. Do you have any other evidence?
stahrwe

1I - PLATINUM CONTIBUTOR
pets endangered by possible book avalanche

Unread post

Interbane wrote:
I suggest that you read the federal rules of evidence and supporting legal theory with respect to ancient documents.
I'm not dismissing it as hearsay. I'm asking for you to support it. If you cannot support it, then we can disregard it.

Here's the problem. You're attempting to use an unsupported premise to support a claim. This is classic invalid logic. You're making the same mistake, again. The submission of evidence is not the question. Your submission of evidence is valid, I'm not dismissing it as hearsay. But submission of evidence is not analysis of evidence. When analyzed, we find an unsupported premise so thus need additional evidence to support that premise.

You lose another finger. Do you have any other evidence?

You need to read the rules of evidence again.
n=Infinity
Sum n = -1/12
n=1

where n are natural numbers.
Interbane

1G - SILVER CONTRIBUTOR
United States of America

Unread post

Right, baby steps.

Stahrwe, I hereby accept your evidence which you submitted according to the Federal Rules of Evidence. Thank you.

Now, before we proceed to analyzing this evidence, do you have any other evidence to submit?
stahrwe

1I - PLATINUM CONTIBUTOR

Unread post

Interbane wrote:Right, baby steps.

Stahrwe, I hereby accept your evidence which you submitted according to the Federal Rules of Evidence. Thank you.

Now, before we proceed to analyzing this evidence, do you have any other evidence to submit?
I do, but before I submit it I want to be clear. Are you stipulating that you accept the evidence from the Talmud as being true and accurate?
n=Infinity
Sum n = -1/12
n=1

Interbane

1G - SILVER CONTRIBUTOR
United States of America

Unread post

Are you stipulating that you accept the evidence from the Talmud as being true and accurate?
How am I supposed to accomplish that?!? By what criteria do I establish evidence as true and accurate? The only guidelines we've had so far are the federal rules of evidence. They say nothing about whether or not evidence is true and accurate. They merely show what is versus what is not evidence.

As an intuition pump, pick a part of the Muslim bible which you do not think is true and accurate. Then submit it in this discussion. Simply because it's ancient, does not make it true! If you take the entire muslim bible to be true and accurate, then we'll find another text which is obviously not true nor accurate.

No, what we are doing here is not examining the truth of your evidence. You're merely submitting it. If you use an anecdote about how you "met" god, then we could reject it as hearsay(it would be a failed submission). However, we can accept the ancient documents you're providing. But that does not mean we are yet examining them for their truth and accuracy.
stahrwe

1I - PLATINUM CONTIBUTOR

Unread post

Interbane wrote:
Are you stipulating that you accept the evidence from the Talmud as being true and accurate?
How am I supposed to accomplish that?!? By what criteria do I establish evidence as true and accurate? The only guidelines we've had so far are the federal rules of evidence. They say nothing about whether or not evidence is true and accurate. They merely show what is versus what is not evidence.

As an intuition pump, pick a part of the Muslim bible which you do not think is true and accurate. Then submit it in this discussion. Simply because it's ancient, does not make it true! If you take the entire muslim bible to be true and accurate, then we'll find another text which is obviously not true nor accurate.

No, what we are doing here is not examining the truth of your evidence. You're merely submitting it. If you use an anecdote about how you "met" god, then we could reject it as hearsay(it would be a failed submission). However, we can accept the ancient documents you're providing. But that does not mean we are yet examining them for their truth and accuracy.
That is not correct. Our legal system is based on an adversary structure. Evidence is submitted and either excepted or rejected. It is the responsibility of the opposing counsel to stipulate the acceptability of evidence which is submitted and acceptable as evidence in accordance with the Federal Rules of Evidence and the underlying legal theory of same. If the opposing counsel rejects the validity of said evidence, it is up to that counsel to attempt to impeach said evidence in a manner consistent with the FRE et al.
n=Infinity
Sum n = -1/12
n=1

Interbane

1G - SILVER CONTRIBUTOR
United States of America

Unread post

You are hoping to provide evidence for some claim or another regarding Jesus. The truth is, you do not have any evidence, but rely on faith alone. (Don't copy paste just yet, keep reading.) So in your attempt to procure evidence, you push the requirement for faith back one more step. Now, instead of having faith in what the bible says about Jesus, you are instead having faith in what the Talmud says about what the bible says about Jesus. A blind acceptance of a piece of evidence such as the Talmud is called faith. If you accept it without examining it, that is called faith.

The FRE do not pardon you from the rules of logic. You can refer to them all you want, but there is nothing required here more advanced than logic. By bringing the FRE into the mix, you’re only complicating the issue and attempting to add an air of authority to your faith. Your evidence fails for logical reasons. If you think the FRE supports your position in spite of this logic, then we need to contact the federal government and show them that their Federal Rules violate logic. I’m sure this is something that they would wish to know.

However, the Federal Rules of Evidence do not in fact support your position. I hadn't even read them before accepting them, since I understand that our legal rules are based on logic. Therefore logic is all I'd need. It turns out, this was correct reasoning on my part. You are claiming that simply by admitting evidence, it is also therefore considered true. The FRE says nothing of the sort. Here is a quote that is relevant from Wikipedia:

"By admitting an ancient document into evidence, it is presumed only that the document is what it purports to be, but there are no presumptions about the truth of the document's contents. A jury can still decide that the author of the document was lying or mistaken when the author wrote it."

Which means, in light of the adversary structure you claim is our legal system, you conveniently ignore the jury. They deliberate over the truthfulness of the submitted evidence. The evidence is not by default considered to be true. That’s all you’ve done is submitted the evidence, and since it’s ancient, we cannot dismiss it as hearsay. We have not yet examined it for it's truthfulness.

Let’s see where else your reasoning would take us, if we follow it in all aspects of epistemology. You are assuming that simply because a document is ancient, it is also true. That is called faith. The consequence would be that every ancient document is true. Is this a consequence that you support? All that is needed to show this consequence to be false is to show an ancient document which is false. If you cannot think of an ancient document that is also false, perhaps we should find one so that you understand why you're wrong.

Stahrwe, this is simple stuff. I’m not saying this to be rude or condescending. It truly is simple. Now can we please move on and examine your piece of evidence from the Talmud? If you refuse to, then we need to bring in a third party as a jury, since that is precisely what we’re missing in this case. Then, you and I both submit our cases as to the veracity of your evidence, and the jury can decide. If you are an honest person, you should see that we do not need a jury. You would see that your evidence in fact must be supported if you wish for it to support some other claim.

Is this getting through to you yet?
stahrwe

1I - PLATINUM CONTIBUTOR

Unread post

Interbane wrote:You are hoping to provide evidence for some claim or another regarding Jesus. The truth is, you do not have any evidence, but rely on faith alone. (Don't copy paste just yet, keep reading.) So in your attempt to procure evidence, you push the requirement for faith back one more step. Now, instead of having faith in what the bible says about Jesus, you are instead having faith in what the Talmud says about what the bible says about Jesus. A blind acceptance of a piece of evidence such as the Talmud is called faith. If you accept it without examining it, that is called faith.

The FRE do not pardon you from the rules of logic. You can refer to them all you want, but there is nothing required here more advanced than logic. By bringing the FRE into the mix, you’re only complicating the issue and attempting to add an air of authority to your faith. Your evidence fails for logical reasons. If you think the FRE supports your position in spite of this logic, then we need to contact the federal government and show them that their Federal Rules violate logic. I’m sure this is something that they would wish to know.

However, the Federal Rules of Evidence do not in fact support your position. I hadn't even read them before accepting them, since I understand that our legal rules are based on logic. Therefore logic is all I'd need. It turns out, this was correct reasoning on my part. You are claiming that simply by admitting evidence, it is also therefore considered true. The FRE says nothing of the sort. Here is a quote that is relevant from Wikipedia:

"By admitting an ancient document into evidence, it is presumed only that the document is what it purports to be, but there are no presumptions about the truth of the document's contents. A jury can still decide that the author of the document was lying or mistaken when the author wrote it."

Which means, in light of the adversary structure you claim is our legal system, you conveniently ignore the jury. They deliberate over the truthfulness of the submitted evidence. The evidence is not by default considered to be true. That’s all you’ve done is submitted the evidence, and since it’s ancient, we cannot dismiss it as hearsay. We have not yet examined it for it's truthfulness.

Let’s see where else your reasoning would take us, if we follow it in all aspects of epistemology. You are assuming that simply because a document is ancient, it is also true. That is called faith. The consequence would be that every ancient document is true. Is this a consequence that you support? All that is needed to show this consequence to be false is to show an ancient document which is false. If you cannot think of an ancient document that is also false, perhaps we should find one so that you understand why you're wrong.

Stahrwe, this is simple stuff. I’m not saying this to be rude or condescending. It truly is simple. Now can we please move on and examine your piece of evidence from the Talmud? If you refuse to, then we need to bring in a third party as a jury, since that is precisely what we’re missing in this case. Then, you and I both submit our cases as to the veracity of your evidence, and the jury can decide. If you are an honest person, you should see that we do not need a jury. You would see that your evidence in fact must be supported if you wish for it to support some other claim.

Is this getting through to you yet?
Regarding the Talmud, it is not the final evidence, nor is it the most important evidence, it is merely a starting point from which to continue. I anticipated your angst and have noticed from my early days with BT that the cry for evidence is loud but the concept of what qualifies as evidence is non-existant.

You are correct that FRE does not speak to the truth of the evidence, it merely removes the subjectivity of what is admissable as evidence and assigns responsibility for the impeachment of the evidence to the contesting party. I believe that this is a fair process and I needed a way in which to develop evidence without everything proposed being abjectly dismissed.

I have also been asked for evidence outside of the Bible to support the very existence of Jesus. Naturally that presents a challenge, particularly when every source is dismissed as fabricated or forged.

For the moment, I ask the court's indulgence as I develop a pattern of evidence. I assure the court that the evidence presented will be relevant to my argument.

BTW, the portion of the Talmud presented has nothing to say about Jesus or about what the NT says about Jesus. It is merely reporting events which happened in the Temple. If you have reason to suspect that the material presented is wrong or that I quoted it incorrectly you are free to present your challenge.

On the other hand, if you wish to concede that Jesus is real and that the information in the Apostle's creed is accurate then we can dispense with additional arguments but do not resort to your ad homenim attacks on the evidence presented. You may of course continue them on me.

thank you for your post.
n=Infinity
Sum n = -1/12
n=1

Interbane

1G - SILVER CONTRIBUTOR
United States of America

Unread post

If you have reason to suspect that the material presented is wrong or that I quoted it incorrectly you are free to present your challenge.
Uh, yeah. How about your signature? "Argument from ignorance, also known as argumentum ad ignorantiam or appeal to ignorance, is an informal logical fallacy; it asserts that a proposition is necessarily true because it has not been proven false"

The burden of proof is on YOU.
I believe that this is a fair process and I needed a way in which to develop evidence without everything proposed being abjectly dismissed.
It is NOT an abject dismissal when YOUR evidence is FALLACIOUS. It is a VALID dismissal. You are the one to blame for not providing evidence that can withstand examination, don't blame me.
stahrwe

1I - PLATINUM CONTIBUTOR

Unread post

I present into evidence the following passage from the Book of Acts. I would request that you read it if for no other reason than it contains one of the most humorous events in the history of the church.

As a preface, let me remind you that the Book of Acts was written by Luke. He was a physician and a Greek by birth. As a secular person, if one were to pick one book from the NT to read for literary purposes it would be Acts. It reads like an adventure story and even includes a terrible storm at sea and a shipwreck.

The actions of the participants in the following excerpt are exactly how one would expect to
act under the same circumstances.
Acts 12
1 It was about this time that King Herod arrested some who belonged to the church, intending to persecute them.

2 He had James, the brother of John, put to death with the sword.

3 When he saw that this pleased the Jews, he proceeded to seize Peter also. This happened during the Feast of Unleavened Bread.

4 After arresting him, he put him in prison, handing him over to be guarded by four squads of four soldiers each. Herod intended to bring him out for public trial after the Passover.

5 So Peter was kept in prison, but the church was earnestly praying to God for him.

6 The night before Herod was to bring him to trial, Peter was sleeping between two soldiers, bound with two chains, and sentries stood guard at the entrance.

7 Suddenly an angel of the Lord appeared and a light shone in the cell. He struck Peter on the side and woke him up. "Quick, get up!" he said, and the chains fell off Peter's wrists.

8 Then the angel said to him, "Put on your clothes and sandals." And Peter did so. "Wrap your cloak around you and follow me," the angel told him.

9 Peter followed him out of the prison, but he had no idea that what the angel was doing was really happening; he thought he was seeing a vision.

10 They passed the first and second guards and came to the iron gate leading to the city. It opened for them by itself, and they went through it. When they had walked the length of one street, suddenly the angel left him.

11 Then Peter came to himself and said, "Now I know without a doubt that the Lord sent his angel and rescued me from Herod's clutches and from everything the Jewish people were anticipating."

12 When this had dawned on him, he went to the house of Mary the mother of John, also called Mark, where many people had gathered and were praying.

13 Peter knocked at the outer entrance, and a servant girl named Rhoda came to answer the door.

14 When she recognized Peter's voice, she was so overjoyed she ran back without opening it and exclaimed, "Peter is at the door!"

15 "You're out of your mind," they told her. When she kept insisting that it was so, they said, "It must be his angel."

16 But Peter kept on knocking, and when they opened the door and saw him, they were astonished.

17 Peter motioned with his hand for them to be quiet and described how the Lord had brought him out of prison. "Tell James and the brothers about this," he said, and then he left for another place.

18 In the morning, there was no small commotion among the soldiers as to what had become of Peter.

19 After Herod had a thorough search made for him and did not find him, he cross-examined the guards and ordered that they be executed.
n=Infinity
Sum n = -1/12
n=1

Return to “Religion & Philosophy”