• In total there are 19 users online :: 0 registered, 0 hidden and 19 guests (based on users active over the past 60 minutes)
    Most users ever online was 880 on Fri Jun 28, 2024 11:45 am

what purposes do myths serve?

Engage in conversations about worldwide religions, cults, philosophy, atheism, freethought, critical thinking, and skepticism in this forum.
Forum rules
Do not promote books in this forum. Instead, promote your books in either Authors: Tell us about your FICTION book! or Authors: Tell us about your NON-FICTION book!.

All other Community Rules apply in this and all other forums.
Interbane

1G - SILVER CONTRIBUTOR
BookTalk.org Hall of Fame
United States of America

Unread post

In order for me to survive, I would need to know the truth about a plant that is trying to decieve me. It is whoever has greater access to the truth of their environment who will have greatest survivability.

Those plants who use camoflauge or deception are attempting to hide the truth from predators. I could chamption fallacy as I'd jokingly stated in my last post, but then I wouldn't see through the deceptions all around me. I wouldn't see the truth. Instead I'd only have the false information that predators or prey want me to have.

Truth has everything to do with surviving.
Dissident Heart

1F - BRONZE CONTRIBUTOR
I dumpster dive for books!

Unread post

interbane: It is whoever has greater access to the truth of their environment who will have greatest survivability.

IF it were simply a matter of accessing truth...but it is also a matter of presentation, display and performance- where the priority is not always, or even mostly, a matter of truthfullness...but really trickery, seduction, manipulation and lies. Now, irony of ironies, perhaps truth is essential in deciding the appropriate deception: or, really, truth is necessary when deceiving.

interbane: Truth has everything to do with surviving.

True, until it's necessary to lie.
Interbane

1G - SILVER CONTRIBUTOR
BookTalk.org Hall of Fame
United States of America

Unread post

Seeking the truth and displaying deception are two completely different things. The opposite of both are also different, seeking fallacy or displaying the real you.

Truth is my priority, displaying the truth is completely different and is not my priority. When I say that, I don't mean I could care less whether or not I lie or decieve. It is a completely different aspect of nature, and is not my number one priority(for survival reasons as you've said).

If I lie about something, with respect to my beliefs, truth is still completely intact as a belief mechanism, since I know the truth even though I'm not presenting it. Truth with respect to knowledge / perception / belief.

We seem to have two different definitions or contexts of truth.

Return to “Religion & Philosophy”