• In total there are 12 users online :: 0 registered, 0 hidden and 12 guests (based on users active over the past 60 minutes)
    Most users ever online was 1086 on Mon Jul 01, 2024 9:03 am

What's Cooking?

Engage in discussions about your favorite movies, TV series, music, sports, comedy, cultural events, and diverse entertainment topics in this forum.
Forum rules
Do not promote books in this forum. Instead, promote your books in either Authors: Tell us about your FICTION book! or Authors: Tell us about your NON-FICTION book!.

All other Community Rules apply in this and all other forums.
Penelope

1G - SILVER CONTRIBUTOR
One more post ought to do it.

Re: What's Cooking?

Unread post

I use 'Hornsea - Fleur' - which looks like this:-

http://www.google.co.uk/imgres?imgurl=h ... 66&bih=575

It is from Yorkshire, actually, not Staffordshire....I just like the way the cups sit steadily on the saucers etc....and I use it for everyday.

I am however backing it up with 'Autumn Leaves' from Marks and Spencers....range... of 30 years ago.

http://www.google.co.uk/imgres?imgurl=h ... 29,r:7,s:0

Also, for everyday use....it was a very popular design so bits are quite easy to find.

I have one bone china tea set which was a wedding present.....and I just never have used it....in case I break something....it is pretty, but just too fragile.
Only those become weary of angling who bring nothing to it but the idea of catching fish.

He was born with the gift of laughter and a sense that the world is mad....

Rafael Sabatini
Dawn

1F - BRONZE CONTRIBUTOR
Graduate Student

Unread post

We've gone to using Royal Albert just this past year or so, since the kids are big and it seems a waste to own it and not use it. The Moss Rose is probably my most favorite pattern and we found it at a Used/Antique shop for such a bargain my husband couldn't resist. His roots are English--Dad from Canterbury--and now we quite prefer eating on china and the old Corelle just sits for the most part... As for breaking, so far it's been my doings only, one dainty little plate. I resisted reacting and just got it swept up quick and put out of mind! Whew!

You've got quite a collection there, Lady. How do you choose what to use? I like your practical thoughts about kitchens. I agree. Functionality matters most. And homeyness!
"And you will know the truth, and the truth will set you free."--Jesus
"For this purpose I was born and for this purpose I have come into the world--to bear witness to the truth. Everyone who is of the truth listens to my voice."--Jesus
Penelope

1G - SILVER CONTRIBUTOR

Unread post

I think I like to use stoneware and heavy duty stuff, because I can keep it warm in the Aga. Hand-thrown pottery is great because it stays warm and keeps the food warm, but there is nothing as nice as a china cup for tea.

We have all oddments of Victorian china teacups and saucers and some modern china beakers for our tea. But otherwise it is just pottery for everything else. Although, sometimes in the summer, we have tea and cucumber sandwiches for 'high tea' in the garden.....just playing at posh, really. I have a part china teaset for that.....ivy leaves pattern.....but it gets used about twice a year.

Norman is off with his friends today on the train to an outlying pub....they call it 'the ale trail' and he goes every couple of weeks, so I go to the hairdressers, then browse the shops in peace....without Norman sighing and fidgeting along. :)

Because the weather is so lovely, I'm doing salad for dinner tonight with a compote of raspberries and blueberries for after, because they need using up and I've got a carton of cream. It's early morning here and I haven't even taken Isaac to school yet, but I'm looking forward to today and don't intend to be indoors much. :D
Only those become weary of angling who bring nothing to it but the idea of catching fish.

Rafael Sabatini
lady of shallot

1F - BRONZE CONTRIBUTOR
Genuinely Genius

Unread post

Penelope:
but there is nothing as nice as a china cup for tea.
I so agree! In fact I picked up a tea cup & saucer to take along if we ever rent a place again, instead of using their mugs! My sister uses a mug for tea and a cup and saucer for coffee. I have told her and told her how wrong she is to do this, but you know sisters! (only kidding)
without Norman sighing and fidgeting along.
Oh, do men do this Penny? Try one in a curtain shop!

Dawn I love china and have lots of it. Bought two sets a year ago at an auction at the mother house of a convent. That was a fantastic experience from hearing a nun playing a love song on the piano to visiting all the rooms and seeing the enclosed drying yard for "unmentionables" and the jewelry etc that was sold!

Do use your good stuff. What is it for? Don't worry about breakage. It doesn't happen often. Once we were cautioning my grandson about care around a lemonade set I have that has 6 glasses. He said what would it matter if one got broken there would still be five!
Penelope

1G - SILVER CONTRIBUTOR

Unread post

Well, I've had a lovely time...and....I've had my hair botoxed - Yes, my hair.

When I arrived at my hairdresser, Gail's, this morning she asked could she experiment on me with some new stuff from L'Oreal.

So, I had the treatment and it looks rather good, if I do say so myself as shouldn't. It is supposed to last six weeks.

I've done fried chicken fajitas with salad of tomatoes, cucumber, spring onions and pea shoots. It looks very colourful - 8)

I've had a nice day....
LofS:a lemonade set I have that has 6 glasses. He said what would it matter if one got broken there would still be five!
Five is a set in Japan. Norman brought me a saki set back and a green tea set and they both have have five cups.

Do you remember Helen Hamff's book - '84 Charing Cross Road'? She was given a set of six fruit knives and wondered how often six people sat around eating fruit together!! :D

Rafael Sabatini
lady of shallot

1F - BRONZE CONTRIBUTOR
Genuinely Genius

Unread post

I may only have seen the movie (Anne Bancroft?) That is pretty funny I am going to try once again to send a picture of my china cabinet.

We are having a simple supper, hamburgers with salad. I am dieting and it is painful! A nice cup of hot tea to calm my stomach coming right up!

What does that mean about your hair? Is it volumised? I am having a tiring day, moving china about. It is heavy!
lady of shallot

1F - BRONZE CONTRIBUTOR
Genuinely Genius

Unread post

One more try. this is my good china. I have very many pieces but lots have some "dings". This set even has demi tasse cups Oh in the center of the top shelf is a figurine my Daughter paid $2.50 for at a yard sale. It is quite valuable, maybe Meissan.
Attachments
china closet.jpg
china closet.jpg (52.42 KiB) Viewed 3501 times
Penelope

1G - SILVER CONTRIBUTOR

Unread post

Lady, your china looks absolutely faboulous. Is it Masons? Anyway, you have inspired me to try to make my dresser look as attractive as yours.

Mine is full of various shapes and sizes of Belgian Beer glasses.....not nearly so pretty.

Rafael Sabatini
lady of shallot

1F - BRONZE CONTRIBUTOR
Genuinely Genius

Unread post

It is W.T. Copeland and sons, Stoke upon Trent. This set is over 100 years old. I have a lot of china. Here is another bookcase full of it. this time blue and white. Much of this is English. I have a friend who also collects and she is a purist. Will only buy English, I am not, mine is German, Dutch, English, American etc. etc.

Did I ever tell you I had an antique shop once? Doing the windows was my delight.

This case is different now. Ed put in another shelf as I got a large set of blue willow which I fitted in.
Attachments
bookcase of china.JPG
bookcase of china.JPG (95.82 KiB) Viewed 3490 times
Penelope

1G - SILVER CONTRIBUTOR

Unread post

How wonderful your blue and white looks!

I have worked in Antique Centres at various times, always having a book room, but we look after one another's rooms, so I learnt about various antiques. I never used to be interested in plates unless they had some dinner on them! But now I like pottery, and fine furniture too. When I worked in one antique centre I realised that my home was furnished with 'old' furniture but that it was 'old' rubbish. :D So, I went about replacing it with mahogany and walnut because once I had lived with it in the shop.....I couldn't live without it at home.

You know, how you fall in love with things.....and just want to live with them for the rest of your life. It used to be only books with me, but after I had minded the shops for sometime, I became enchanted by all kinds of peculiar items.....Beauty is in the eye of the beholder. So I don't think my cupboards would be everyone's cup of tea.....but they certainly are unique! :lol:

I will take some pictures later this evening.

Rafael Sabatini

Return to “Arts & Entertainment”