• In total there are 42 users online :: 2 registered, 0 hidden and 40 guests (based on users active over the past 60 minutes)
    Most users ever online was 880 on Fri Jun 28, 2024 11:45 am

Concerning Chris O'Connor...

The perfect space for valuable discussions that may not neatly fit within the other forums.
Forum rules
Do not promote books in this forum. Instead, promote your books in either Authors: Tell us about your FICTION book! or Authors: Tell us about your NON-FICTION book!.

All other Community Rules apply in this and all other forums.
Chris OConnor

1A - OWNER
BookTalk.org Hall of Fame
United States of America

Re: Concerning Chris O'Connor...

Unread post

I've encouraged all BookTalk members to create personal introductory threads in this forum, yet I have neglected to practice what I preach. Prior to tonight I was of the opinion that my "About Chris O'Connor" page should suffice and provide enough information about me to quench anyone's curiosity. But upon further consideration I am realizing that having a journal thread is more personal, dynamic and naturally interactive. Who knows who will read my posts, but it is probably therapeutic and healthy to keep them flowing.

BookTalk will have reached its second year of existence in May of 2004, and I'm rather pleased with things. The books we've read have helped shape my personal worldview into one that is more rational, open-minded, and hopefully compassionate. The relationships I've developed with fellow members have made all the hard work of creating and maintaining this community worthwhile. We have great members - really good people. So I'm happy with BookTalk. I'd like to see us grow and offer more to a greater audience, but should this never occur I could still be pleased with what we have attained.

Since our creation back in May of 2002 we've had the great privilege of having some of the worlds most well-respected authors and scientists as guests in the BookTalk chat room. Sometimes I am amazed at how things have unfolded. Richard Dawkins, one of my favorite authors, actually accepted our invitation and chatted with us. Would he have been so gracious had I not met him personally at the 2003 Atheist Alliance International Convention and asked him to spend some time with some of his fans? I just don't know. But the list is growing and I didn't have such a luxury with any of the other guests. Howard Bloom, Stephen Pinker, Massimo Pigliucci, Matt Ridley, and soon Antonio Damasio...they all said "yes." We have been lucky and I know this. I just hope our guests are cognizant of how much we appreciate their generosity with their time.

What does 2004 hold for BookTalk?

My mind races and I have to control my passion for humanism and the freethinker worldview - lest it consume me. Our core mission is an important one, but it must be tempered with a healthy dose of balance in my own personal life. Often I get so fired up I dive into things and bite off more than I can chew. BookTalk unfortunately doesn't pay the bills, and I have to resist the urge to sink more and more time and money into this community. I'll always devote considerable resources to this endeavor, but in the event I win the lottery or suddenly have more free time I really will take this to the next level. There is so much that needs to be done. I've got so many ideas and I really wish I could run with them. But the clock keeps ticking and life beckons me away for other things.

It is about 2:30 in the morning and I should be asleep, but I just watched part of a PBS special about the life of Ben Franklin. What a fascinating and brilliant man he was. I know of nobody that has contributed more to this world than Franklin, but that could be a long debate. The point is...the show made me think. What really matters in life? Surely it is not the acquisition of material items, because you aren't taking them with you when you die.

So what matters? Is it the pursuit of knowledge? I personally find this extremely important, but not as important as the relationships we develop with other people. To me life is made worth living because of relationships. Learning everything you can is a good thing, in that it enables you to give more to this world. Giving is good. Being selfish and egocentric sucks. I'm not sure where I'm going with this. Actually, I know where I'm going. I'm going to bed.
Frank 013
Worthy of Worship

Unread post

Chris, I am sorry to hear about your dad... I know there is nothing that can be said to make this time easier for you.

Just remember you have friends that care about you.

If you need to talk, fell free to call anytime.

Later
Ophelia

1G - SILVER CONTRIBUTOR
Oddly Attracted to Books

Unread post

Chris,

Of course we understand if you are less present at BT at the moment.

And please don't worry about us!

I'll be happy to take care of the discussion to choose the next fiction book.
Ophelia.
Frank 013
Worthy of Worship

Unread post

Chris
I just couldn't think of anything more to do. He needed the paramedics to arrive, flip him onto his back as safely as they are trained to flip injured people, incubate him, and give him O2 and an IV and probably blood, and get him into surgery fast. What could I do? I just felt helpless.
Chris, I was giving this some thought last night at work, I know you felt helpless because of the limits of your medical training, but you may have helped more than you know.

You knew enough to know that with the extent of the boy's injuries that you should not move him, you were aware enough to see that he was breathing and could wait for the paramedics. Finally you were rational enough to wait for the professionals to arrive and take charge of the situation.

This might not seem like much, but it might have saved the boy's life. If a less rational or overzealous person were in that situation they might have tried to move the boy, which from your description of the event might have made things much worse.

I can't know in this circumstance but have seen it first hand in other situations and I would not be surprised if you had to suppress another bystander's suggestion to move the boy.

At any rate the boy was lucky that you stopped and not some less rational individual.

Later
jales4
Intern

Unread post

Hi Chris,

Take care, my thoughts are with you and your father.

Jan.
Chris OConnor

1A - OWNER
BookTalk.org Hall of Fame
United States of America

Unread post

Thanks guys. I am on my laptop sitting next to my father in hospice. He has been totally nonresponsive for 3 full days. This is so hard.
Constance963
Intern

Unread post

Chris,

I am so sorry to hear about your father. My grandfather battled colon cancer for two years and was on hospice for quite a long time. I know how hard it is to watch and my thoughts will be with you. Hang in there as best you can.
My wedding day! 08-08-08
Mr. P

1F - BRONZE CONTRIBUTOR
Has Plan to Save Books During Fire

Unread post

Chris OConnor wrote:Thanks guys. I am on my laptop sitting next to my father in hospice. He has been totally nonresponsive for 3 full days. This is so hard.
My thoughts are with you and your family.

Nick
Ophelia

1G - SILVER CONTRIBUTOR
Oddly Attracted to Books

Unread post

Chris,

My thoughts have been with you and your family these past weeks.
Ophelia.
Penelope

1G - SILVER CONTRIBUTOR
One more post ought to do it.

Unread post

Chris - I have exceeded my alloted number of posts.

But I do want to add my good wishes and support to those of the others.

I wish you and yours inner strength and peace.

Love Penny

Return to “Everything Else”