• In total there are 72 users online :: 1 registered, 0 hidden and 71 guests (based on users active over the past 60 minutes)
    Most users ever online was 1000 on Sun Jun 30, 2024 12:23 am

The best and worst examples of First Person Narrative?

The perfect space for valuable discussions that may not neatly fit within the other forums.
Forum rules
Do not promote books in this forum. Instead, promote your books in either Authors: Tell us about your FICTION book! or Authors: Tell us about your NON-FICTION book!.

All other Community Rules apply in this and all other forums.
suitefrancaise
Getting Comfortable

The best and worst examples of First Person Narrative?

Unread post

I was wondering what people have read that uses first person narrative well. I love it when an author knows how to use the technique - when it is absorbing and fascinating being in the mind of a particular character with a distinct voice. At the moment the market seems to be bombarded with masses of books using FP narrative, especially in the overpopulated YA section. It's hard to pick the good out of the bad.

Some of my favourite picks are:
March by Geraldine Brooks
The Great Gatsby by F. Scott Fitzgerald
The Catcher in the Rye by J.D Salinger
The Time Traveler's Wife by Audrey Niffenegger

Does anyone have any examples of excellent novels using FP narrative well? Or novels that don't use it so well, for that matter? Please answer, as I'm very interested in this difficult narrative structure, and am planning to write a paper on its various benefits and disadvantages as a writer and a reader.
Last edited by suitefrancaise on Tue Apr 26, 2011 12:36 am, edited 2 times in total.
NotaBene
Getting Comfortable

Re: The best and worst examples of First Person Narrative?

Unread post

Hi,
May I suggest novels by Siri Hustvedt ? Such as The Sorrows Of An American and What I loved .
suitefrancaise
Getting Comfortable

Re: The best and worst examples of First Person Narrative?

Unread post

Thanks, I'll definitely take a look at those. Sounds very interesting!

Return to “Everything Else”