• In total there are 69 users online :: 1 registered, 0 hidden and 68 guests (based on users active over the past 60 minutes)
    Most users ever online was 1086 on Mon Jul 01, 2024 9:03 am

I'm a book publicist and happy to join this forum

The perfect space for valuable discussions that may not neatly fit within the other forums.
Forum rules
Do not promote books in this forum. Instead, promote your books in either Authors: Tell us about your FICTION book! or Authors: Tell us about your NON-FICTION book!.

All other Community Rules apply in this and all other forums.
Bookfan
Getting Comfortable

I'm a book publicist and happy to join this forum

Unread post

Hi, I'm Kae, a 60+ female from suburban Philadelphia. I've worked in publishing since the 80s and am an avid reader. In other forums I'll be talking about some of my book projects, but I just wanted to introduce myself here. I manage a neighborhood book club so I'll probably talk about our selections as well.
johnson1010
Tenured Professor

Re: I'm a book publicist and happy to join this forum

Unread post

welcome!
In the absence of God, I found Man.
-Guillermo Del Torro

Are you pushing your own short comings on us and safely hating them from a distance?

Is this the virtue of faith? To never change your mind: especially when you should?

Young Earth Creationists take offense at the idea that we have a common heritage with other animals. Why is being the descendant of a mud golem any better?
Bookfan
Getting Comfortable

Unread post

Thank you. I love this site!
Chris OConnor

1A - OWNER
BookTalk.org Hall of Fame
United States of America

Unread post

Welcome to BookTalk.org. :)

I'd love if you told us about your neighborhood book club.
Azrael
Masters

Unread post

Welcome to BT................

Amorte!
Bookfan
Getting Comfortable

Unread post

I live in a planned residential community with about 200 households. About 5 years ago a friend and I decided we'd start a reading group and see who in the neighborhood might be interested. We wrote a notice in our neighborhood newsletter and on the meeting day about 8 women showed up. My friend and I talked about the "rules" of our group. We would read 10 books a year, fiction and nonfiction, chosed by the members. We would meet at our neighborhood clubhouse and refreshments (wine, cheese, etc) would be provided by a different member each month. We would shy away from romances, and chick-lit in general, figuring all who liked those books could read them on their own.
Our group has prospered and grown since that first meeting--we now have 10 members. I think we've been successful, in part, because of how we select our reading list. Every November we meet for a potluck dinner at a member's home. Each member brings two book suggestions and then tells the group about them. After all books are presented, we vote for the 10 we think would be most interesting for the next year. We also assign reviewers (usually the person who suggested the book) and refreshment-bringers for the entire year. (We don't meet in December.) By the end of the evening we have our year's schedule mapped out and everyone can start reading.
Our system works like a charm and allows people to read ahead if they like and to prepare their reviews in plenty of time for the meetings. Favorite titles over the years have included many of the usual suspects such as THE LOVELY BONES, THE FIG EATER, LOVING FRANK; classics such as MADAME BOVARY and FATHER GORIOT; and a few nonfiction selections such as MOUNTAINS UPON MOUNTAINS.
Our selection this month is THE HELP which we'll discuss in late May.
Randall R. Young
Experienced

Unread post

Welcome!

I am in the book business, as well... Sort of. I produce audiobooks, aka "read-a-longs" for children. I think you might find an author or two around here who could use some publicity.

Does your book club ever go in for sci-fi? I am a big fan of that genre, and might recommend one or two titles that would qualify as literature, as well.
Bookfan
Getting Comfortable

Unread post

We have not read any sci-fi to date, unless you consider Margaret Atwood sci-fi. I'd like to hear your suggestions.
Randall R. Young
Experienced

Unread post

"The Cyberiad" ~Stanislaw Lem
"Cryptonomicon" ~Neal Stephenson
"The Left Hand of Darkness" ~Ursula K. Le Guin
"Last and First Men" ~Olaf Stapledon
Bookfan
Getting Comfortable

Unread post

Thanks! I've read and enjoyed Ursula LeGuin. I think it's time to revisit her. I'll look into the others too.

Return to “Everything Else”