• In total there are 28 users online :: 1 registered, 0 hidden and 27 guests (based on users active over the past 60 minutes)
    Most users ever online was 1000 on Sun Jun 30, 2024 12:23 am

The Stand by Stephen King

Authors are invited and encouraged to present their FICTION books solely within this forum.
EndlessLaymon
Devoted Member

The Stand by Stephen King

Unread post

I am currently reading this mammoth book for a second time and I have to say this is still my all time number one book. Superbly developed characters an epic story and a hell of a villain. I know many people will just discard The Stand a typical horror novel but it is much more than that.
I have never read such a fantastic book as this and I have read many novels more than I can count but nothing has impressed me as much as this novel. I also know some literary critics will dismiss as it is written by Stephen King but there is much depth to this novel.

Has anyone else read this book and what are your thoughts?
It's a scary night in the lonesome October
AndiSGraham
Getting Comfortable

Re: The Stand by Stephen King

Unread post

I have. While I thought it was well written and had all of the components that I enjoy in a good post-apocalyptic story, it just didn't tickle my fancy like I thought it would. However, I found myself absolutely fascinated by Randall Flagg. His behavior and general "self" is so wonderfully evil and so believable as being a terrible force that it's wedged itself very deeply into my impression of the book. Since I've read it, when I get asked what my "ideal" villain to read about is, I say someone like Randall Flagg.
When people walk away from you, let them go. Your destiny is never tied to anyone who leaves you, and it doesn't mean they are bad people. It just means that their part in your story is over. - Tony McCollum
anthem1
Getting Comfortable

Unread post

I agree that Randall Flagg is a great villain, but there are so many other fascinating characters, as well. I absolutely loved Mother Abigail. King's choice to use her as a nemesis to Flagg was genius. What could a frail old lady do against pure evil like that? The answer, defeat it with her faith and love. In the end, I think one of the messages is that a person does not need fancy sophisticated weaponry to defeat evil, but intelligence, love and faith. These three things can be very damaging by themselves.

Perhaps, another theme is that a villain or hero is only as strong as those who support him or her. Good triumphs in the novel. However, one of the contributing factors to Flagg's ultimate downfall is the breakdown of his organization. While Flagg's organization is crumbling, Mother Abigail's is growing stronger.

The Stand is much more than just an post-apocalyptic novel. At it's core, it is a story about choices. Each and every character chooses either good or evil in the end. Once a choice is made, for example to follow Flagg, it can be difficult to live with the consequences. For example, both Nadine and Harold opt for suicide when they realize their mistake. They are unable to deal with the reality of Flagg and see no way out but death. In Nadine's case, there is also a vengeful component to her decision. With her death, Nadine also kills Flagg's child ensuring no one will carry on his legacy and another Flagg will not be born.

I think it can be easy to write Stephen King off as simply a horror writer, but many of his novels encompass larger themes. For example, it can be argued Green Mile has a strong Christian slant. In addition, Under the Dome addresses the idea that children's games, play and teasing can have violent, harmful consequences. It goes so far as to address the long-term effects of bullying. These underlying themes and unique and vivid characters are one of the reasons Stephen King has remained one of my favorite writers over the years.

My favorite all-time King villain is Big Jim Rennie in Under The Dome. He is not as overtly characterized as the bad guy. The evil things he does are more secretive and sinister. In the beginning of the novel, only one character knows the extent of his crimes. As the story unfolds, more is discovered until even his most devout followers turn on him at the end. In life, villains and heroes are not so easy to identify. The line between good and evil is not so easy to see.

What do you think?
AndiSGraham
Getting Comfortable

Unread post

I haven't read Under the Dome yet, but I will definitely put it on my reading list. I guess I will have to read The Stand again, from the point of view that I'm not reading another post-apocalyptic novel. :)
When people walk away from you, let them go. Your destiny is never tied to anyone who leaves you, and it doesn't mean they are bad people. It just means that their part in your story is over. - Tony McCollum
Garrethobrien92
Getting Comfortable

Unread post

King's early years remain his best.Read 'under the dome' there recently, thought it was awful.
froglipz

1G - SILVER CONTRIBUTOR
Brilliant
United States of America

Unread post

I didn't enjoy "Dome" much at all. I ended up making myself finish it just to have it done. I read both versions of "The Stand" and found myself agreeing more with the original editor about most of the cuts King put back in when he released his "uncut" version. "The Stand" is my absolute favorite King book, and one of the best film adaptations I have ever seen as well.
~froglipz~

"I'm not insane, my mother had me tested"

Si vis pacem, para bellum: If you wish for peace, prepare for war.

Return to “Authors: Tell us about your FICTION book!”