• In total there are 59 users online :: 0 registered, 0 hidden and 59 guests (based on users active over the past 60 minutes)
    Most users ever online was 1086 on Mon Jul 01, 2024 9:03 am

Rejoining booktalk after 2 years gone

The perfect space for valuable discussions that may not neatly fit within the other forums.
Forum rules
Do not promote books in this forum. Instead, promote your books in either Authors: Tell us about your FICTION book! or Authors: Tell us about your NON-FICTION book!.

All other Community Rules apply in this and all other forums.
Lois
Master Debater

Rejoining booktalk after 2 years gone

Unread post

Hello
I'm Lois I was on booktalk about two years ago, but I sort of withered away from it. I'm rejoining now and hopefully will be more active, it's my intent, anyway.
The books that I like most are mysteries (although I haven't read any in a while), biographies (I'm reading Quantum Man right now) and nonfiction (I read Diet for a Hot Planet and a book called Waste this spring).
I'm an animal lover and have two cats. I've volunteered (years ago) at the Wildlife Rehabilition Center here in Minnesota and I loved it. I worked mainly with birds at that time, although I've also worked with the bats and went from being slightly afraid of them and repulsed by them to really liking them and thinking of them as cute! They are very odd creatures!
I found booktalk through word of mouth.
I'm looking forward to being part of this group!
Last edited by Lois on Fri Jul 08, 2011 8:32 am, edited 1 time in total.
johnson1010
Tenured Professor

Re: Rejoining booktalk after 2 years gone

Unread post

welcome back!
In the absence of God, I found Man.
-Guillermo Del Torro

Are you pushing your own short comings on us and safely hating them from a distance?

Is this the virtue of faith? To never change your mind: especially when you should?

Young Earth Creationists take offense at the idea that we have a common heritage with other animals. Why is being the descendant of a mud golem any better?
Suzanne

1F - BRONZE CONTRIBUTOR
Book General

Unread post

Hi Lois!

It's great to have you back!
magicjarpublishing
Getting Comfortable

Unread post

Welcome back Lois!

The good thing about forums is even if we leave, it's usually waiting there still whenever we can make it back.
EchoSling
Official Newbie!

Unread post

I saw a bat up close once, Lois, and was rather repulsed, as well. But I've recently heard there's a fungal infection going on in certain bat populations that are killing them by the thousands... millions, maybe... and without bats, we could have some serious problems, no? What about all those insects they eat? It reminds me how interconnected life is... a break in one part of that chain has a domino affect on all the rest of it. I think it's cool you work with bats.
Lois
Master Debater

Unread post

Thanks, I have heard about that infection, too. If I remember right there are five species of bats native to MN and some (if not all) of them are on the decline. They do eat a lot of insects and are really good to have around. On a related (I think) note, I never understood how someone could chase after a bat and kill it just because it had gotten inside. Even though I felt kind of scared of them, I've learned to just open a window.
I haven't volunteered for WRC for quite a while, but I am hoping to some time again.
Thanks for responding.
Chris OConnor

1A - OWNER
BookTalk.org Hall of Fame
United States of America

Unread post

Welcome back to BookTalk.org. :)
spoonwood

1F - BRONZE CONTRIBUTOR
Master Debater

Unread post

Welcome back, Lois! I had read an article in National Geographic a few months ago on the growing problem of fungal infection in bats. I always thought they were cute little creatures.
LindaMontez
Getting Comfortable

Unread post

Hello, Lois. You mention cats. I happen to have an 18-year-old gray cat in my lap right now. He is the sweetest, most lovable guy. You mention biographies. For years, I've had a book on Dietrich Bonhoeffer sitting in my pile of yet-to-read books. Would be good to read it soon.
Nice to meet you.
Linda
http://livingletters.blogspot.com
Lois
Master Debater

Unread post

Thanks. One of my cats lived to be 19. He was my first cat after I left my parents house. He was a gray tabby, and totally a sweetheart! He'll be in my heart always.
I actually haven't read a biography lately, but one that I particularly enjoyed (don't remember the title) was of Josephine Baker. I think it was called The Jazz Queen, but I could be wrong on that.

Return to “Everything Else”