• In total there are 44 users online :: 0 registered, 0 hidden and 44 guests (based on users active over the past 60 minutes)
    Most users ever online was 1086 on Mon Jul 01, 2024 9:03 am

Max Berry: Syrup, Jennifer Government, Company

Authors are invited and encouraged to present their FICTION books solely within this forum.
Avid Reader
Cunning Linguist

Max Berry: Syrup, Jennifer Government, Company

Unread post

Anybody heard of Max Berry? He writes what I might call "corporate satire," and his stuff is hilarious and really off the wall. Some of it might be classified as a SF, because it takes place in the future, but it doesn't really have much of a science aspect to it; it's more about the future of big business, government regulations, etc. Anyway, if anyone else is familiar with his work, I'd love to discuss one of his novels. He has a new one out that I'm going to order next week called Machine Man, so maybe that one, after some of us have had time to read it.

amazon.com/gp/search/ref=sr_tc_2_0?rh=i ... B001IXMF4W
Money is a lousy way of keeping score.
wilde
Kindle Fanatic

Re: Max Berry: Syrup, Jennifer Government, Company

Unread post

I read Jennifer Government & I thought it was pretty decent. I read it because I used to play the NationStates game a *lot.* Too bad they had to take version 2 down. :(
Big bright accent, catty smile
Oscar Wilde confrontation
Ah, live like it's the style.

Shelfari!
Kevin
Pulitzer Prize Finalist

Unread post

I've read Jennifer Government. It wasn't as interesting to me as I thought it would be. Now that I think about it though, I do recall wanting the villian to take a fall in a bad way... there was some good writing and character buildup in it. I thought the book lost steam after the I- Declare-The-Government-Is-Shut-Down stunt by the villian. I'd like to hear what you think of his new book.
The question is not, Can they reason? nor, Can they talk? but, Can they suffer? - Jeremy Bentham
Avid Reader
Cunning Linguist

Unread post

Kevin wrote:I'd like to hear what you think of his new book.
It's on the way from Amazon, but I've got a couple in front of it, so it'll be a week or so before I can get to it. I'll post my opinion as soon as I finish.
Money is a lousy way of keeping score.
R. LeBeaux
Wearing Out Library Card

Unread post

Avid Reader wrote:Anybody heard of Max Berry? He has a new one out that I'm going to order next week called Machine Man.
Just wanted to drop you a note and say thanks for bringing Max Barry to my attention. I read some blurbs on Machine Man and decided to order it. I'm about halfway through and am loving it. He has an unusual writing style, a bit dark and subtly humorous. I tend to like anything weird or unconventional from a writing standpoint, and this one certainly fills that bill. When I'm done, I plan to look up the rest of his books, so thanks again for the tip.
Author of the novel Then Again - An Adventure in Time Travel
amazon.com/Then-Again-Adventure-Time-Tr ... f_=asap_bc
http://www.wmpublishing.com/
marQus3
Getting Comfortable

Unread post

I read Jennifer Government a few years ago when I was bored and looking for something new to read. It wasn't a bad book at all. I remember enjoying the story and it being an easy and fun read. It's been a while and I no longer recall much of what it was about which usually means that while it was a decent book, it wasn't one that sticks in my mind as having anything at all about it that was "unforgettable". I may read it again some day when I'm bored and out of things to read, but the chances of that are slim. For me a book has to be very memorable for me to ever read it again. I wouldn't mind checking out something else by Max Berry though, maybe some of his other works are even better.
Cheers!
Mark

Check out Devils and Dreamers: A Pukking Grand Novel by Amanda S. Sanges
Where the devils and human, the dreamer is prey and sanity is optional.

Return to “Authors: Tell us about your FICTION book!”