• In total there are 49 users online :: 0 registered, 0 hidden and 49 guests (based on users active over the past 60 minutes)
    Most users ever online was 1086 on Mon Jul 01, 2024 9:03 am

Why do you use an online book club/forum?

The perfect space for valuable discussions that may not neatly fit within the other forums.
Forum rules
Do not promote books in this forum. Instead, promote your books in either Authors: Tell us about your FICTION book! or Authors: Tell us about your NON-FICTION book!.

All other Community Rules apply in this and all other forums.
rams719

Why do you use an online book club/forum?

Unread post

I'm writing a report on how everyday people find ways to incorporate literature in their lives. I've spent the last couple of days exploring the site, seeing how things work and what type of content is discussed. Now I want to reach out and ask for your input on why you participate in this type of online meeting. What kinds of things do you take away from the discussions? Is this the only way you discuss or spread literature with others?
R. LeBeaux
Wearing Out Library Card

Re: Why do you use an online book club/forum?

Unread post

rams719 wrote:I'm writing a report on how everyday people find ways to incorporate literature in their lives. I've spent the last couple of days exploring the site, seeing how things work and what type of content is discussed. Now I want to reach out and ask for your input on why you participate in this type of online meeting. What kinds of things do you take away from the discussions? Is this the only way you discuss or spread literature with others?
Of course, the best way to "incorporate literature" in your life is simply to read, but I do understand your question. Up until now, I haven't really examined in detail why I like this kind of literary interaction, but I do. I think Chris (our benefactor) might have said it best in a recent post:

"An online book discussion group is so much easier and more efficient than a real-life group. Before I created BookTalk.org I tried to start a local group and it was a fruitless endeavor. My ads in the local paper attracted weirdos that I would never invite into my house. And even if you meet at a public place there is really no way to keep undesirable people from joining. On an online forum you can just ignore the strange people and interact with those people you like."

Other ways I interact with people on a literary basis include a small (three-person) writers' group; a book discussion group at my UU church; and through e-mails with friends and colleagues. However, since I am growing old and am less able to think and speak intelligently on the spur of the moment, I like the idea of being able to compose my thoughts and post or respond at my leisure, which is only possible through electronic media (or by snail mail, which I still use occasionally).

As for what I take away from the discussions, there are numerous things, including, but not limited to:

- New perspectives on literature upon which I have already formed opinions (which sometimes leads to re-readings).

- Opinions that sometimes lead to (friendly) debates, which I enjoy, so long as they remain friendly.

- Ideas and suggestions about the writing/editing process.

- The discovery of new books and authors I may never have taken the time to investigate.

- The opportunity to share with others books I admire (thereby helping to promote the work of certain authors I wish to support).

- A satisfying feeling of having spent a few hours each week doing what I want to do, rather than what I have to do.

The only drawbacks I might cite are:

- The elimination of personal interaction that allows for viewing the facial expressions and hearing the vocal inflections of those who comment on various aspects of the book or subject under discussion.

- The fact that, even though I promised myself I would not spend an inordinate amount of time away from my work to participate in these discussions, I am finding that promise harder and harder to keep.
Author of the novel Then Again - An Adventure in Time Travel
amazon.com/Then-Again-Adventure-Time-Tr ... f_=asap_bc
http://www.wmpublishing.com/
takakoanami
Getting Comfortable

Unread post

Simply because in this such kind of community you learn and explore more than reading alone and have no one to talk to. Here we can trade in opinion with co-members and also for practicalities sake; you can read books for free and knows what the latest .lol
BookCritic101
Getting Comfortable

Unread post

I enjoy hearing what other readers get out of books that I have read--a new way of looking at a character or a hidden theme I didn't notice. I also enjoy reading what other readers thought of books I haven't read yet, as it helps me pick books that I think I'll enjoy.
Damifino
Intern

Unread post

I would love to one day be part of a face to face book club.

What I like about online clubs is that you can talk about the book while reading it. I like to divide up the book and chat away with out giving any spoilers. I will usually like a book better when reading with others. And you get out of your comfort zone.

The last book I read with a group was I Am The Messenger. I would of never figured out the end if it hadn't of been for some smart reader who introduced me to "Breaking the Fourth Wall."
[bookworm]
Almost Comfortable

Unread post

I guess that the simple answer is because I wanted to join a book club!

And putting my thoughts into words is a lot easier for me to do through a keyboard than verbally, just as it is also easier for me to get information and recommendations by reading them, more than by hearing them! Also, an online book community is much bigger than a local book club. This means there are more people who love the same thing I do (books!) and have more to share!
Tonya1000
Master Debater

Unread post

I enjoy them and reading what other book lovers think of other books also.
Chris OConnor

1A - OWNER
BookTalk.org Hall of Fame
United States of America

Unread post

I like online book discussion groups because I can participate in my undies and nobody looks at me funny.
Please consider supporting BookTalk.org by donating today!
Ender
Official Newbie!

Unread post

I think an online book club/forum is a fantastic idea mainly because book clubs outside the Internet are extremely difficult to coordinate and maintain. You can express your thoughts and view those of others at your own convenience.
Karen Fisher-Alaniz
Creative Writing Student

Unread post

Because sometimes you just want to chat with someone with similar interests. Even if you're surrounded by readers in your life, everyone has different interests when it comes to books.
My website: http://www.storymatters2.com
Breaking the Code - a Father's Secret, a Daughter's Journey,
and the Question That Changed Everything (Sourcebooks) came
out on 11/1/11. Buy at your local bookstore, or on Amazon

Return to “Everything Else”