• In total there are 30 users online :: 2 registered, 0 hidden and 28 guests (based on users active over the past 60 minutes)
    Most users ever online was 1086 on Mon Jul 01, 2024 9:03 am

Year of Wonders: A Novel of the Plague - Geraldine Brooks

Authors are invited and encouraged to present their FICTION books solely within this forum.
kelstan

1F - BRONZE CONTRIBUTOR
Intern

Year of Wonders: A Novel of the Plague - Geraldine Brooks

Unread post

This is one of the best books I have ever read. I listened to the audiobook version (I'm in the car for about an hour a day, so I love audiobooks) which was read by the author, who, quite frankly, should never read her own books. She has an almost sing-songy voice with odd inflections that were difficult to understand. However, the story was fabulous and so gripping, I couldn't stop listening. It is based on a true story of an English village in the 17th century which quarantined itself to protect outsiders from the plague which had infected the village. The main character is Anna, a young woman who works as housekeeper to the charismatic vicar and his wife and helps tend the sick and dying. The book was very exciting due to the many plot twists, most of which I never saw coming. I can remember gasping in shock many times throughout the book. I have read several of Geraldine Brooks' novels, and they are all simply wonderful. Sadly, I haven't yet read March, for which she won a Pulitzer Prize. If you haven't read any of Geraldine Brooks' novels, I think you should give one a try.
JohnGNelson
Getting Comfortable

Re: Year of Wonders: A Novel of the Plague - Geraldine Brooks

Unread post

If you'd like to read a work of fiction about a contemporary pandemic.

Check out this recent review.

http://www.examiner.com/fiction-in-atla ... ure-review

Return to “Authors: Tell us about your FICTION book!”