• In total there are 51 users online :: 1 registered, 0 hidden and 50 guests (based on users active over the past 60 minutes)
    Most users ever online was 1086 on Mon Jul 01, 2024 9:03 am

Pastor Wants to Track Atheists like Sex Offenders

Engage in conversations about worldwide religions, cults, philosophy, atheism, freethought, critical thinking, and skepticism in this forum.
Forum rules
Do not promote books in this forum. Instead, promote your books in either Authors: Tell us about your FICTION book! or Authors: Tell us about your NON-FICTION book!.

All other Community Rules apply in this and all other forums.
tat tvam asi
Reading Addict

Pastor Wants to Track Atheists like Sex Offenders

Unread post

Thought I'd go ahead and share this here:
Pastor Wants Atheist Registry to Track Atheists like Sex Offenders

August 31, 2011
By Hrafnkell Haraldsson

“No man has a natural right to commit aggression on the equal rights of another, and this is all from which the laws ought to restrain him.”
– Thomas Jefferson

"Thomas Jefferson and his idealism be damned. What internet pastor Mike Stahl wants is an “atheist registry” to keep track of these dangerous elements in our society, like people who don’t believe in god, or any gods. This is a story right out of Nazi Germany. What’s next? Will we have our children “outing” us as atheists and pagans and heretics, and turning us over to the fundamentalist morality police to be conveniently culled from the herd?

"Here’s Stahl’s logic, which we have thanks to Ed Brayton at Dispatches from the Culture War because the cowardly Stahl is in hiding: he opens his blog to invitees only:

Brothers and Sisters , I have been seriously considering forming a ( Christian ) grassroots type of organization to be named “The Christian National Registry of Atheists” or something similar . I mean , think about it . There are already National Registrys for convicted sex offenders , ex-convicts , terrorist cells , hate groups like the KKK , skinheads , radical Islamists , etc..

This type of “National Registry” would merely be for information purposes . To inform the public of KNOWN ( i.e., self-admitted) atheists . For example , let’s say you live in Colorado Springs , Colorado , you could simply scroll down ( from the I-Net site /Blog ) I would have , to the State of Colorado , and then when you see “Colorado Springs” , you will see the names of all the self-admitted atheist(s) who live there ( e.g., if an atheist’s name happened to be “Phil Small” ) . The individual’s physical address , and other known personal information would NOT be disclosed ( though , perhaps a photo could be ).

If this all seems completely incomprehensible and pointless to you, Pastor Stahl has his reasons:

Now , many (especially the atheists ) , may ask “Why do this , what’s the purpose ?” Duhhh , Mr. Atheist , for the same purpose many States put the names and photos of convicted sex offenders and other ex-felons on the I-Net – to INFORM the public ! I mean , in the City of Miramar , Florida , where I live , the population is approx. 109,000 . My family and I would sure like to know how many of those 109,000 are ADMITTED atheists ! Perhaps we may actually know some . In which case we could begin to witness to them and warn them of the dangers of atheism . Or perhaps they are radical atheists , whose hearts are as hard as Pharaoh’s , in that case , if they are business owners , we would encourage all our Christian friends , as well as the various churches and their congregations NOT to patronize them as we would only be “feeding” Satan.
Frankly , I don’t see why anyone would oppose this idea – including the atheists themselves ( unless of course , they’re actually ashamed of their atheist religion , and would prefer to stay in the ‘closet.’ ).

The dangers of atheism? Seriously? Shouldn’t we be more worried about the dangers of theocracy, the threat posed to the U.S. Constitution and First Amendment and the possibility of morality police invading our homes? .......
Please read the full article.

Treating Atheists Like Terrorists & Sex Offenders!

An "Atheist Registry"?
Last edited by tat tvam asi on Mon Oct 17, 2011 9:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
kelstan

1F - BRONZE CONTRIBUTOR
Intern

Re: Pastor Wants to Track Atheists like Sex Offenders

Unread post

WTF? I would propose a crazy minister registry, but I don't think the I-NET has enough room.
tat tvam asi
Reading Addict

Unread post

^LMAO!
Robert Tulip

2B - MOD & SILVER
BookTalk.org Hall of Fame
Australia

Unread post

radical atheists whose hearts are as hard as Pharaoh’s
At church on Sunday, our Minister commented that this story from Exodus about Pharaoh is not one he is comfortable with, given that killing all the first born of Egypt seemed a disproportionate response. This sort of vilification is a little over the top, given that atheists are generally more moral than Christians.

Being a radical atheist does not mean having a hard heart, but I'm not sure if you could say the same about being a fundamentalist Christian, who might well ululate at a passover babicide directed at atheists, if this comment about Pharaoh is any guide.
if they are business owners , we would encourage all our Christian friends , as well as the various churches and their congregations NOT to patronize them as we would only be “feeding” Satan.
And this from the same guy who says there is nothing to worry about! The line about boycotting atheist stores based on an internet hitlist reminds me of the Star of David on Jewish shops in Nazi Germany. Now that is hard hearted.
R. LeBeaux
Wearing Out Library Card

Unread post

After reading this pile of unmitigated crap, I had the thought that the city of Miramar might be interested in knowing that Stahl is identifying his home town in a way that could be detrimental to the city’s image and tourism. So I went to the Miramar website and posted a message on their contact page, which I will include below. Since there was no choice for “Mayor” in the contact list, I chose “Community Development” and, under the title “PR Problem For Miramar,” posted the following message:

“As a city, you folks are going to be having a pretty serious PR problem, due to the actions of an Internet pastor by the name of Mike Stahl. Stahl lives in your lovely city, and is spreading a plan to create a national Atheist registry, similar to that for sex offenders. He is calling it “The Christian National Registry of Atheists,” and in his latest screed, he identifies his home town of Miramar, FL, encouraging its citizens to support his efforts and boycott all businesses owned by Atheists. There is already an Internet groundswell of opposition to this dangerous radical, so I might suggest that the city issue some type of disclaimer, lest it loose valuable tourist dollars by becoming inexorably linked to the embarrassing Nazi-like antics of this anti-Atheist rabble rouser. If you would like to see only one of the Internet stories covering Stahl’s plan, you can visit:

http://www.politicususa.com/en/pastor-w ... -offenders

If anyone else might like to do the same, the Miramar Contact page is at:

http://www.ci.miramar.fl.us/customer/Contactus.aspx
Author of the novel Then Again - An Adventure in Time Travel
amazon.com/Then-Again-Adventure-Time-Tr ... f_=asap_bc
http://www.wmpublishing.com/
Dexter

1F - BRONZE CONTRIBUTOR
I dumpster dive for books!
United States of America

Unread post

Luckily, I think that most people would say this is a very stupid idea. At least I hope they would.

But shouldn't he put all non-Christian blasphemers on the list?
geo

2C - MOD & GOLD
pets endangered by possible book avalanche
United States of America

Unread post

"Crazy Florida minister" is redundant.

Seriously, this guy is doing a fine job of looking like a complete moron. I don't think we need to register our complaints.
-Geo
Question everything
tat tvam asi
Reading Addict

Unread post

Miramar is in "liberal" South Florida BTW. I'm sure there are a lot of atheist's down there, along with the entire melting pot of ethnicity and various sexual orientations in the region. I could see this guy coming from Wachula, or Christmas, or Lorida, or some other BFE, but it's strange that he's preaching this message from Florida's "Sodom and Gomorrah" of the south...
Chris OConnor

1A - OWNER
BookTalk.org Hall of Fame
United States of America

Unread post

Hey, it would be a cool way for atheists to locate each other. Let this jackass compile a list so we can use it for marketing.

Just kidding. :P
Please consider supporting BookTalk.org by donating today!
geo

2C - MOD & GOLD
pets endangered by possible book avalanche
United States of America

Unread post

Does this guy even have a congregation? I would imagine almost no one has heard of him, even those who live in this town. Like the nutty minster who burned the Koran, the media might blow this all out of proportion and give this guy his fifteen minutes of fame.

Edit: Oh, he's an "internet pastor." LOL.
-Geo
Question everything

Return to “Religion & Philosophy”