• In total there are 15 users online :: 3 registered, 0 hidden and 12 guests (based on users active over the past 60 minutes)
    Most users ever online was 1086 on Mon Jul 01, 2024 9:03 am

Moneyball

Authors are invited and encouraged to showcase their NON-FICTION books exclusively within this forum.
Randy Kadish
Cunning Linguist

Moneyball

Unread post

I'm no longer much of a baseball fan, but I loved this book, especially the way a few individuals came to see the game and its statistics in different and revolutionary light. I know this is a stretch, but the book reminds me of the way Einstein, Darwin and other scientists changed the way we see the world.

I also loved the mini-biographies of several players who made it to the major leagues even though most scouts thought they wouldn't. Their stories are inspiring.

So to me, this book is a beautiful blend of statistics and personalities. In the end, I saw that the two go hand in hand.

I did, however, have mixed feelings about the book's central character, Billy Beane. I found him interesting, but I can't say I liked him, even though I appreciated that he tried to run an organization in a new way, a way that was partly born from his own failures as a player. In fact, that’s what I found most interesting about this book: the way the ideas of two men who experienced failure and rejection, Beane and Bill James, came together and brought the team with the lowest payroll within a game of the World Series.

There are several compelling themes to this book. It's certainly multi-dimensional, as there are different levels to it.
R. LeBeaux
Wearing Out Library Card

Re: Moneyball

Unread post

Randy Kadish wrote:There are several compelling themes to this book. It's certainly multi-dimensional, as there are different levels to it.
I've been considering this book now for a while, and when I saw that the movie was coming out, I was reminded of it once again. You're comments have pretty much sealed the deal for me, and I now intend to buy it. One of the things that intrigues me is that the story is supposed to reflect some of the techniques used by the managers and coach of my Tampa Bay Rays to bring a low-budgeted team from cellar dwellers to serious contenders in one of the toughest divisions in professional baseball. Thanks for the recommendation.
Author of the novel Then Again - An Adventure in Time Travel
amazon.com/Then-Again-Adventure-Time-Tr ... f_=asap_bc
http://www.wmpublishing.com/
witch love
Almost Comfortable

Unread post

I have this book on my Kindle but have yet to read it, I don't have any kind of fond feelings towards baseball, my cousin's pro-ball career kind of stomped on the joy I may have found in this game, plus im Canadian so ... Hockey eh?

I think I might read it after what you have said!

Thanks
In light and love
Kay
-=--=--
I love life because, what more is there.
- Anthony Hopkins
R. LeBeaux
Wearing Out Library Card

Unread post

witch love wrote:I'm Canadian so ... Hockey eh?
Hey, you don't have to be Canadian to love hockey (though it probably helps). We've got a pretty good hockey team down here in the Tampa Bay area: one Stanley Cup and a few playoffs. I still have a problem watching it on TV, because I can't always follow the puck, and I miss that bit they did for a while a few years ago when they put a red streak over it when a hard shot was made. Still, I go to the games whenever I can, and I find it to be an extraordinarily exciting sport; actually almost too exciting for my fragile blood pressure at times. It's odd that I also love baseball, one of the slowest sports to watch, but I've been a fan since I was a child and I know enough about the strategies and the mental "chess game" to make it interesting.
Author of the novel Then Again - An Adventure in Time Travel
amazon.com/Then-Again-Adventure-Time-Tr ... f_=asap_bc
http://www.wmpublishing.com/

Return to “Authors: Tell us about your NON-FICTION book!”