• In total there are 78 users online :: 1 registered, 0 hidden and 77 guests (based on users active over the past 60 minutes)
    Most users ever online was 1086 on Mon Jul 01, 2024 9:03 am

fionamc from Ireleand would like to say hello

The perfect space for valuable discussions that may not neatly fit within the other forums.
Forum rules
Do not promote books in this forum. Instead, promote your books in either Authors: Tell us about your FICTION book! or Authors: Tell us about your NON-FICTION book!.

All other Community Rules apply in this and all other forums.
fionamc
Getting Comfortable

fionamc from Ireleand would like to say hello

Unread post

Hello everyone, my name is Fiona and I found booktalk.org browsing the Internet a couple of weeks ago on the Internet. I love literary fiction but a lot of what I read is from the UK. Looking forward to getting to know more American authors and hope you all will give me some good recommendations.. :) This is my first book club!
mywitastoundsme
Getting Comfortable

Re: fionamc from Ireleand would like to say hello

Unread post

Hi,
I'm new too :), what are some of your favorite books?
Maria
“I am so clever that sometimes I don't understand a single word of what I am saying.”

- Oscar Wilde
fionamc
Getting Comfortable

Unread post

Well I just finished reading 'The Sense of an Ending' by Julian Barnes. It was a short read but very good. One of my favourites last year was Let the Great World Spin by Colum McCann. He is an Irish author but based in New York. Other books that I have enjoyed have been Wolfhall by Hillary Mantel, Birdsong by Sebastian Faulks. When I was younger I read a lot of John Irving...What books to you like or recommend
mywitastoundsme
Getting Comfortable

Unread post

I liked 'A Prayer For Owen Meany' (go John Irving, haha).

Gosh, there are just a ton of books I like, John Steinbeck was really brilliant he was into Americana, The grapes of wrath and east of eden are both great books about the disillusionment of the american dream.
I like Stephen King, oh and I LOVE Gone with the Wind, Margret Mitchells fictional telling of the Civil War is really unparallelled.
Tolkien is great, the thing is I don't actually like his writing style but I really like his whole message (more on that later, j/k I won't bore you).

Oh, btw, I live in Phoenix, Arizona. Whats Ireland like?
:)
“I am so clever that sometimes I don't understand a single word of what I am saying.”

- Oscar Wilde
Chris OConnor

1A - OWNER
BookTalk.org Hall of Fame
United States of America

Unread post

Welcome to BookTalk.org. :)
fionamc
Getting Comfortable

Unread post

Hi there
I love living in Ireland, we get to witness a lot of American culture, the election for the republican presidential candidate is huge news for us at the moment. Of course Obama paid us a visit earlier this year.
From a book perspective, Irish people love reading and talking about books. I have a book by Philip Roth on my shelf 'Nemesis' . I was going to start it this week, but think I might buy the Carol Oates book and join the group discussion.

Return to “Everything Else”