• In total there are 30 users online :: 1 registered, 0 hidden and 29 guests (based on users active over the past 60 minutes)
    Most users ever online was 1086 on Mon Jul 01, 2024 9:03 am

Medicine, thrillers, medical thrillers? Greeting from a reader that loves it all

The perfect space for valuable discussions that may not neatly fit within the other forums.
Forum rules
Do not promote books in this forum. Instead, promote your books in either Authors: Tell us about your FICTION book! or Authors: Tell us about your NON-FICTION book!.

All other Community Rules apply in this and all other forums.
javaduke95
Official Newbie!

Medicine, thrillers, medical thrillers? Greeting from a reader that loves it all

Unread post

Hello fellow readers,

I'm a 27M in Boston who works in a health-care related field. For that reason I'm attracted to medically related fictions and non-fictions... medical thrillers are a good combination of the two. Examples of the books in these categories include Tunnel Vision (Gary Braver), The Checklist Manifesto (Atul Gawande), The House of God (Samuel Shem), etc.

Steering outside of this stereotype I also read the occasional young adult genre like those by Suzanne Collins and John Green, and I snatch a few works off the Booker prize list from time to time e.g. Room (Emma Donoghue), The Remains of the Day, Never Let Me Go (Kazuo Ishiguro).

Outside of reading I like to brew myself a lovely cup of coffee each morning before work -- recently discovered the Aeropress which brews an incredible cup. I use a hand mill to grind beans fresh and enjoy the smell as the water heats in the kettle.

I found BookTalk through a quick search for web-based book club on Google, and I look forward to interacting with the community.
Currently reading: Thinking, Fast and Slow (Daniel Kahneman)
"I have never let my schooling interfere with my education." - Mark Twain
R. LeBeaux
Wearing Out Library Card

Re: Medicine, thrillers, medical thrillers? Greeting from a reader that loves it all

Unread post

Hi Javaduke, welcome to BookTalk. In the category of medical thrillers, I might recommend Devils’ Waltz by Jonathan Kellerman. It may seem a bit dated now, because it’s main theme is built around a syndrome that was little known at the time of publication (1992), but that since has been written about a good deal. Still, it is a well-constructed, interesting, and suspenseful novel, with some unpredictable twists that enhance the intricate plot.

amazon.com/Devils-Waltz-Delaware-Jonath ... amp;sr=1-1

Author of the novel Then Again - An Adventure in Time Travel
amazon.com/Then-Again-Adventure-Time-Tr ... f_=asap_bc
http://www.wmpublishing.com/
Chris OConnor

1A - OWNER
BookTalk.org Hall of Fame
United States of America

Re: Medicine, thrillers, medical thrillers? Greeting from a reader that loves it all

Unread post

Welcome to the community. :)

Return to “Everything Else”