• In total there are 14 users online :: 0 registered, 0 hidden and 14 guests (based on users active over the past 60 minutes)
    Most users ever online was 1086 on Mon Jul 01, 2024 9:03 am

Books on Dystopian Societies

Authors are invited and encouraged to present their FICTION books solely within this forum.
Terebithia
Getting Comfortable

Books on Dystopian Societies

Unread post

Or apocalyptic novels as well.

Anyway, new here. Just realized that a majority of my interest as far as thought provoking novels revolve around Dystopian or Utopian societies and rebellion or apocalyptic in nature. Ever since I was like...12 when I read The Giver, Gathering Blue, and Turnabout.

So recently with the upcoming film adaptation of The Hunger Games, this got me to think how many others out there love the same topic? What books haven't I heard of out there with this same topic that I've come to (oddly) love. So lol the question is, Who else out there loves Dystopian/Utopian/Apocalyptic-like Novels? What are your recommendations (Adult and Young Adult Alike)? What was your favorite book and why?
Let me stop before this turns into a novel itself
Suzanne

1F - BRONZE CONTRIBUTOR
Book General

Re: Books on Dystopian Societies

Unread post

We discussed "The Left Hand of Darkness", Ursula Le Guin about a year ago here on BookTalk, and I enjoyed it. I have to say I am new to more current novels of this genre but I would like to read more. Have you ever read, "The Dispossessed" by Le Guin?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Dispossessed
bookstasted
Getting Comfortable

Re: Books on Dystopian Societies

Unread post

Margaret Atwood writes some great dystopia novels. The Handmaid's Tale is a classic, and her latest series is dystopian - Year of the Flood and Oryx and Crake. (From her posts on Goodreads, I'm fairly certain it will be a trilogy.)

I'd also recommend Octavia Butler's Parable of the Sower and Parable of the Talents.
My Book Review Blog: http://www.bookstasted.com

Return to “Authors: Tell us about your FICTION book!”