• In total there are 45 users online :: 0 registered, 0 hidden and 45 guests (based on users active over the past 60 minutes)
    Most users ever online was 1086 on Mon Jul 01, 2024 9:03 am

Exorcism Anyone?

Engage in conversations about worldwide religions, cults, philosophy, atheism, freethought, critical thinking, and skepticism in this forum.
Forum rules
Do not promote books in this forum. Instead, promote your books in either Authors: Tell us about your FICTION book! or Authors: Tell us about your NON-FICTION book!.

All other Community Rules apply in this and all other forums.
DWill

1H - GOLD CONTRIBUTOR
BookTalk.org Hall of Fame

Exorcism Anyone?

Unread post

It never fails. You do your best to have a positive attitude towards religion and religious people, and you pick up your local paper and read about something wacko and sickening. Right down the main road from me in Front Royal, Virginia, a priest performed an exorcism on a vulnerable woman. You'll never guess what this good shepherd said the woman must do to cast out the demons from her soul and "blow the Holy Spirit" into her, after calling her case "severe" and having her sign a paper promising full cooperation. No need to go into it. The woman is now suing the Catholic Diocese of Arlington for 5.3 million. She was naive and misguided for going to the priest, but I hope she wins her suit. I suppose I'm naive, too. I really didn't think the church still sanctioned this baloney, but it says that it doesn't let just any old priest perform an exorcism, no. There is special exorcism school to attend before the priest can hang out his shingle.

Hitchens was right. Religion will continue to be a problem until it is "tamed and sequestered."
geo

2C - MOD & GOLD
pets endangered by possible book avalanche
United States of America

Re: Exorcism Anyone?

Unread post

It may have been some local whacko instead of an official church-sanctioned excorcism. In many respects, the Roman Catholic Church is probably as stupid as any large organization. It's head doesn't know from its ass.
Last edited by geo on Thu Jun 28, 2012 7:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
-Geo
Question everything
youkrst

1F - BRONZE CONTRIBUTOR
One with Books

Unread post

literalism strikes again :evil:

casting out demons, to me, is just a metaphor for ejecting bad ideas.

as a hypothetical example, if i believed in the "supernatural" and interbane reasoned me out of it then metaphorically he would have "cast out a demon" so to speak.

i found it interesting the minister used the phrase "blow the Holy Spirit"

typical priest, one track mind :lol:

to me it is always literalism that ends up being the chief culprit when tracing the cause of the mentally ill and harmful side of religion.
DWill

1H - GOLD CONTRIBUTOR
BookTalk.org Hall of Fame

Unread post

geo wrote:It may have been some local whacko instead of an official church-sanctioned excorcism. In many respects, the Roman Catholic Church is probably as stupid as any large organization. It's head doesn't know from its ass.
Unless I didn't look into the matter deeply enough, the church does sanction exorcism through its program to train exorcising priests. The New York Post had an article in 2010 about the church's concern over a shortage or exorcists. There might not oversight of each act of exorcism.
Dexter

1F - BRONZE CONTRIBUTOR
I dumpster dive for books!
United States of America

Unread post

DWill wrote:You'll never guess what this good shepherd said the woman must do to cast out the demons from her soul and "blow the Holy Spirit" into her, after calling her case "severe" and having her sign a paper promising full cooperation. No need to go into it.
What was it, money? I would have said sex, but I figured the priest would wait until later to make his move.
geo

2C - MOD & GOLD
United States of America

Unread post

Turns out it was sex.

from the article . . .

"The plaintiff alleges that Euteneuer's sessions with her frequently involved inappropriate touching and directing her to undress. The complaint says Euteneur explained passionate kisses as "blowing the Holy Spirit" into her.

The woman eventually realized the conduct was inappropriate . . ."

Good for her, figuring that out after TWO YEARS.

http://www.foxnews.com/us/2012/06/28/vi ... z1zBesOHrH
-Geo
Question everything
geo

2C - MOD & GOLD
United States of America

Unread post

DWill wrote:
geo wrote:It may have been some local whacko instead of an official church-sanctioned excorcism. In many respects, the Roman Catholic Church is probably as stupid as any large organization. It's head doesn't know from its ass.
Unless I didn't look into the matter deeply enough, the church does sanction exorcism through its program to train exorcising priests. The New York Post had an article in 2010 about the church's concern over a shortage or exorcists. There might not oversight of each act of exorcism.
I missed this post.

It's hard to imagine that the Catholic Church would not only condone exorcism but seek out "qualified" exorcists. No, actually it's not.

This institutionalized brand of legitimacy fosters a trusting, credulous attitude towards "men of cloth" who are supposed to be doing God's work. The article says something about how the priest told her that her case was "severe" and had her sign an agreement promising full cooperation. So this is certainly a case of a sexual predator using the auspices of the church to get his jollies off with this poor woman, same as pedophile priests who the Church passively condoned for the sake of its own "good name." The woman in this case was very probably mentally ill. She went to the priest looking to get exorcised in the first place.

I have no problem branding institutionalized religion as corrupt, but unfortunately this sort of thing happens in many other arenas as well. I'm thinking of Sandusky, also a sexual predator who raped children under the auspices of institutionalized sports worship.
-Geo
Question everything
Penelope

1G - SILVER CONTRIBUTOR
One more post ought to do it.

Unread post

geo wrote:
It may have been some local whacko instead of an official church-sanctioned excorcism.

All male thread this:

The idea, theory, of exorcism, is very funny and an easy target for ridicule, until you encounter the phenomenon. Just saying.
Only those become weary of angling who bring nothing to it but the idea of catching fish.

He was born with the gift of laughter and a sense that the world is mad....

Rafael Sabatini
geo

2C - MOD & GOLD
United States of America

Unread post

Penelope wrote:
geo wrote:
It may have been some local whacko instead of an official church-sanctioned excorcism.

All male thread this:

The idea, theory, of exorcism, is very funny and an easy target for ridicule, until you encounter the phenomenon. Just saying.
What phenomenon exactly are we talking about? Possession by the Devil? Or manifestations of mental illness?
-Geo
Question everything
TheImpatientAtheist
Getting Comfortable

Unread post

youkrst wrote:literalism strikes again :evil:
The problem is, who gets to decide what is taken literally, and what is taken allegorically? As the march of secularism continues, passages that were in the past taken literally, and are now no longer socially acceptable to be taken as such, are now re-read as if they allegorical all along, and as if this was so obviously how they should have been read in the first place.

Better off to just chuck the whole lot.

Return to “Religion & Philosophy”