• In total there are 68 users online :: 0 registered, 0 hidden and 68 guests (based on users active over the past 60 minutes)
    Most users ever online was 1086 on Mon Jul 01, 2024 9:03 am

How Do You As An Atheist Celebrate (or not) Christmas?

Engage in conversations about worldwide religions, cults, philosophy, atheism, freethought, critical thinking, and skepticism in this forum.
Forum rules
Do not promote books in this forum. Instead, promote your books in either Authors: Tell us about your FICTION book! or Authors: Tell us about your NON-FICTION book!.

All other Community Rules apply in this and all other forums.
seldomseen68

How Do You As An Atheist Celebrate (or not) Christmas?

Unread post

Hello! This is my first post, but I have a good time lurking here.I wanted to pose a question that I, as an atheist, have been asked countless times. I would imagine many of you have as well. Why do you celebrate Christmas if you're an atheist?Well, I who was once was a christian, do not really have any problem with the answer, eventhough some curious christians, and relative believers have a problem hearing it. For me , Christmas has been more about giving and receiving than about religion. I will admit the receiving part has a lot to do with it. Not to mention a great excuse to over indulge. As a child and a teen I tried to find religious meaning in it , and I guess that at 38, I probably find more nostalgia in Christmas than anything. I like to point out the overwhelming comsumerism, which I feel totally cancels out any assumption that I should feel conflicted over the "contradiction" that an atheist can celebrate christmas.Why should the sentiment of chistmas not be embraced by anyone who chooses? There is nothing at all wrong with one the human giving to another human. Where would we be if we didn't? It doesn't need to have any religious meaning at all. It isn't even the the actual birthdate of Jesus, is it?Besides, we can't blame Jesus for the christianity. It wasn't his fault. He was just a free thinker with a great message, that was lost on all those, who, with their own agenda, re-invented him.Personally, If I were Jesus, I'd be pissed.So, I know this question has most likely been posted before. But indulge me. I am truly interested; besides, I don't get to meet very many open minded people in the great state of Missouri. Sadly, since it is indeed a great state.How do you, as an atheist, celebrate or not celebrate this very misunderstood day? Edited by: seldomseen68  at: 12/23/06 6:39 am
FiskeMiles

Re: How Do You As An Atheist Celebrate (or not) Christmas?

Unread post

Dear Seldom:Quote:Besides, we can't blame Jesus for the christianity.It wasn't his fault.He was just a free thinker with a great message, that was lost on all those, who, with their own agenda, re-invented him.Personally, If I were Jesus, I'd be pissed.What a first post! Classic!Despite being an atheist, I enjoy Christmas as much as I ever have, though I find all the consumerism tiresome. Even depressing. I like every aspect of the holiday. I even enjoy the nativity story. I've been toying with the idea of adding a creche scene to our holiday decorations -- it's a great story, and, as an amateur astronomer, I like the celestial tie-in. I think I may have said this in another post, but when people ask me why, as an atheist, I find that enjoyable, my first response is I like the Lord of the Rings without believing in Sauron. It's called a willing suspension of disbelief...Fiskewww.fiskemiles.com Edited by: FiskeMiles at: 12/23/06 8:39 pm
seldomseen68

Re: How Do You As An Atheist Celebrate (or not) Christmas?

Unread post

Yeah..... thats what happens when I have a few too many glasses of wine. I kind of go off on little tangents. It's unavoidable.
FiskeMiles

Re: Re: How Do You As An Atheist Celebrate (or not) Christm

Unread post

Dear Seldom:I meant that as a compliment. Saying "We can't blame Jesus for Christianity" is clever and original. And true.It would make an awesome bumper sticker...Fiskewww.fiskemiles.comPS: Elly and I enjoy wine too. We tend to favor full-bodied domestic reds in the $10 to $20 range. Last night we tried a 2005 McManis Cabernet, which is a terrific value at around $10. It's complex, has a lot of forward fruit, and a satisfying, balanced finish. I apologize for not providing more detailed comments about the bottle. One of our college-aged nieces came to spend the night (she is helping Elly in the kitchen today), and we had the wine with pizza while watching Scrooged -- not the best environment for careful wine-tasting notes. It's a bottle we will be trying again very soon, though. Edited by: FiskeMiles at: 12/24/06 9:04 am
minority mandate

Unread post

I just try to have as good a Saturnallia as possible given that the true meaning of the holiday (eat, drink, and be merry) has been taken over first by the Christians, and now by Santa Claus.
Asana Bodhitharta

Unread post

Quote:I just try to have as good a Saturnallia as possible given that the true meaning of the holiday (eat, drink, and be merry) has been taken over first by the Christians, and now by Santa Claus. So true, Christmas has nothing to do with Christianity in reality. The Christians have even banned Christmas on several occasions as it used to be a time of debauchery and not very spiritual at all.
Saint Gasoline

Unread post

I don't celebrate Christmas. I celebrate Giftmas, which I have blatantly stolen from the Christians, just as they blatantly stole it from the pagans.
LanDroid

2A - MOD & BRONZE
Comandante Literario Supreme
United States of America

Unread post

It's not a problem for our fearless leaders...edge.org/documents/xmas06_index.html
Frank 013
Worthy of Worship

Unread post

This year we celebrated pack-the-house-mas, because we are moving to New York in a few days.But I would say we normally celebrate the giftmas described by St. G Later
irishrosem

1E - BANNED
Kindle Fanatic

Unread post

That's a sad, little Charlie Brown christmas tree that Sam Harris is standing in front of. Although, I must say, he looks rather yummy in the picture. If only I could find me an atheist that looks like that.Notice, too, of the left hands showing in the pictures, they both have wedding bands on. Another piece of religious symbolism.BTW, I celebrate christmas with my family--presents and lots of food. And DH will be happy to know, I also went to christmas mass with them. The altar always looks beautiful this time of year. Edited by: irishrosem at: 12/27/06 10:48 am

Return to “Religion & Philosophy”