• In total there are 25 users online :: 0 registered, 0 hidden and 25 guests (based on users active over the past 60 minutes)
    Most users ever online was 1000 on Sun Jun 30, 2024 12:23 am

Do you believe in a supernatural creator, God or gods of any sort?

Engage in conversations about worldwide religions, cults, philosophy, atheism, freethought, critical thinking, and skepticism in this forum.
Forum rules
Do not promote books in this forum. Instead, promote your books in either Authors: Tell us about your FICTION book! or Authors: Tell us about your NON-FICTION book!.

All other Community Rules apply in this and all other forums.

Yes

38%
No

62%

Total votes: 29
Chris OConnor

1A - OWNER
BookTalk.org Hall of Fame
United States of America

Unread post

Your response to this poll will be anonymous if you simply take the poll but don't make any additional posts stating your beliefs. If you would like to share your beliefs just make a post in this thread and say as much or as little as you would like to share.
youkrst

1F - BRONZE CONTRIBUTOR
One with Books

Re: Do you believe in a supernatural creator, God or gods of any sort?

Unread post

tat tvam asi
Suzanne

1F - BRONZE CONTRIBUTOR
Book General

Unread post

I am in awe of the power of the ocean and the sky and the power of the weather. I am inspired by mountain ranges and sunsets, beautiful flowers and animals. I don’t understand why I can’t sing, or paint beautifully while others can. The God, and gods that have been presented to me cannot explain the majestic universe or the differences between people sufficiently for me. I believe the universe is millions of years old, but that belief comes from a confidence in science. How did it all start? I have no idea. God and religion of all types have changed dramatically several times over the centuries. These changes have been made by man, to suit man’s needs, oftentimes to the severe detriment of people. This trend continues today. I read that God has many names, but the best name is compassion. I don’t see much compassion. I do see crimes committed in the name of God however. Honor killings, hate crimes against homosexuals, hatred toward atheists. Although I cannot say how “it all started”, I also cannot say that I believe in the idea of God.
Kevin
Pulitzer Prize Finalist

Unread post

I do not believe in a supernatural creator, God or gods of any sort. However, I think it's more likely than not that such a thing has existed. It's all highly unlikely.
The question is not, Can they reason? nor, Can they talk? but, Can they suffer? - Jeremy Bentham
Cattleman
Way Beyond Awesome

Unread post

I must admit to being ambivalent on the subject. I guess I am an agnostic. I look at the intracacies of nature (example: Have you ever studied your own hand? Look at what you can do with it; how flexible, how complex). Some say such things prove the existence of a Creator. But maybe that is just our human brains trying to grasp the concept of how it all began.

I suppose we will each discover the answer once we pass from this Earth. Even if the answer is 'No.'
Love what you do, and do what you love. Don't listen to anyone else who tells you not to do it. -Ray Bradbury

Always listen to experts. They'll tell you what can't be done, and why. Then do it. -Robert A. Heinlein
ant

1G - SILVER CONTRIBUTOR

Unread post

The God, and gods that have been presented to me cannot explain the majestic universe or the differences between people sufficiently for me.
Why should s/he?
If there is a god, why would we all suddenly be entitled to answers?
ant

1G - SILVER CONTRIBUTOR

Unread post

Here's what I think - nobody knows for sure because of our limited intelligence and limited senses.

But of course atheists know with certainty because they are not like the rest of us. They KNOW for certain there is no god because, well, they just do because if there were a god s/he certainly would have been discovered by now. Sorta like discovering a new insect, or planet.
Suzanne

1F - BRONZE CONTRIBUTOR
Book General

Unread post

God has given us all the answers. The universe was created in seven days and is only a few thousand years old. Adam was created from God's image and Eve from a rib. I choose not to except those answers therefore I cannot except God. I cannot except the Bible as truthful, therefore I cannot except God. I do not have a belief in a non belief of God, nor do I have faith in non faith in God. I have made a choice to not except God in my life.
ant

1G - SILVER CONTRIBUTOR

Unread post

Suzanne wrote:God has given us all the answers. The universe was created in seven days and is only a few thousand years old. Adam was created from God's image and Eve from a rib. I choose not to except those answers.
Was this in response to my question?
If it was, you didn't address the question.
heledd
Doctorate

Unread post

Can we have a third category please. for those who don't give a toss one way or the other?
Life's a glitch and then you die - The Simpsons

Return to “Religion & Philosophy”