• In total there are 44 users online :: 1 registered, 0 hidden and 43 guests (based on users active over the past 60 minutes)
    Most users ever online was 880 on Fri Jun 28, 2024 11:45 am

Has anyone else been deeply emotionally effected by a book? If so, help me get through this.

Authors are invited and encouraged to present their FICTION books solely within this forum.
thewallinthewell
Official Newbie!

Has anyone else been deeply emotionally effected by a book? If so, help me get through this.

Unread post

Recently, I completed Haruki Murakami's book, Norwegian Wood. Masterfully written, exceptionally gripping, I could not put it down. I completed it in one sitting, and since then have been on and off weeping. I have seemingly lost all control of my emotions. What can I do? Has this happened to you with a book? How did you deal with it?
Cattleman
Way Beyond Awesome

Re: Has anyone else been deeply emotionally effected by a book? If so, help me get through this.

Unread post

Not to the extent you were. However, in college (too many years ago) I spent the weekend reading Nevil Shute's end-of-the-world novel "On the Beach." I becam so engrossed in the plot that when I roommate asked if I had completed the assignment for Monday's class, I responded, "What's the difference; we're all going to be dead anyway."

I would suggest finding something lighter to read and try to get your mind on that.
Love what you do, and do what you love. Don't listen to anyone else who tells you not to do it. -Ray Bradbury

Always listen to experts. They'll tell you what can't be done, and why. Then do it. -Robert A. Heinlein
Olivia22
Freshman

Re: Has anyone else been deeply emotionally effected by a book? If so, help me get through this.

Unread post

I agree with cattleman. Find something lighter to read. Read some fluff. That's what I would do. I've never been affected by a book to the extent that you have so I hope that this advise helps you.
President Camacho

1F - BRONZE CONTRIBUTOR
I Should Be Bronzed

Unread post

Sounds like a good book. I'll have to check it out.
Suzanne

1F - BRONZE CONTRIBUTOR
Book General

Unread post

thewallinthewell wrote:Recently, I completed Haruki Murakami's book, Norwegian Wood. Masterfully written, exceptionally gripping, I could not put it down. I completed it in one sitting, and since then have been on and off weeping. I have seemingly lost all control of my emotions. What can I do? Has this happened to you with a book? How did you deal with it?
When I read "Native Son", Richard Wright, I found the novel to be so painful I had to force myself to finish it. I consider it to be the most emotionally painful novel I have ever read. In the afterward, Wright explains his motivation for writing the novel, and also his intent. His intent was to invoke these painful emotions I was experiencing. Good authors do this. The readers feelings, good or bad, are in the authors pen.

William Styron accomplishes the same result in "Sophie's Choice". If you do not know the story and read this novel, there will come a moment where you will experience almost unbearable sadness. I read this as a young woman, I identified with Sophie, so this moment caused me hours of crying.

A good author has the power to manipulate the emotions of the reader and if the reader identifies with the events or characters those emotions will be heightened. The two examples I gave are novels that are based on realistic events, but they are both works of fiction. "Norwegian Wood" is no different. You have experienced the authors intent, which says to me you have fully appreciated the novel. You are the type of reader Murakami and other novelists want as an audience.

I don't think there is anything wrong with how you are feeling. I recently saw the movie "Life of Pi". Towards the end I reached out and clutched the hands of my sister in law and daughter, and just sat there bawling. It brought back the emotions I felt while reading the novel. All readers have certain novels that will produce emotions when thinking of them. This may sound funny, but enjoy the reaction "Norwegian Wood" has given you. There are many novels that produce nothing, these are the novels that are the saddest of them all.
Mr A
Wearing Out Library Card

Unread post

thewallinthewell wrote: I have seemingly lost all control of my emotions. What can I do? Has this happened to you with a book? How did you deal with it?
I ended up in the emergency room within 10 hours after finishing My Phantom: The Memoir of Christine Daae.
http://www.amazon.com/My-Phantom-Memoir ... 0982457901

I was reaching towards the end of the novel, and choked back tears, so that I could see to finish it. I played for that, because my stomach had pains like I've never had before. I ha to have an IV of Protonix and neon med for like two weeks afterwards. I stopped reading for two years after that. I threw all my books out, including my two Kindles. I through all my writing away, too.

Only recently have I started reading and writing again.

Nothing else I read ever did that to me like that before, but Sylvia Plath started to. When reading her unabridged journals I had to take antacids beforehand or when watching Sylvia movie with Paltrow as Sylvia. So she started it, and that Phantom I though had done me in for good. I retired from reading and writing altogether. But came out of retirement sometime in this past summer.
"Better to write for yourself and have no public, than to write for the public and have no self."
- Cyril Connolly

My seven published books are available for purchase, click here:
http://www.amazon.com/Steven-L.-Sheppard/e/B00E6KOX12
Lukewarmth
Getting Comfortable

Unread post

Norwegian Wood is a great book and terribly sad in places but it didn't affect me in such a deep way as it has affected you. But, as Suzanne says, embrace the emotions it has brought out and feel glad that you have been able to connect to a novel in such a way. Hopefully you'll soon connect to a more optimistic book and be able to revel in the positive emotions it brings out.
rchapman1tewantin
All Star Member
Australia

Unread post

Colleen McCullough's book "The Thorn Birds" affected me deeply, as did the movie. I found the love between Father Ralph and Meggie incredibly moving and emotionally draining. It stayed with me for some weeks and reading the book for a second time many years later had the same effect. My advice would also be to read something lighter, do some things you enjoy (eat chocolate!) and I think you'll soon feel refreshed from the emotional relief.
Rita Lee Chapman
Author of the Anna Davies Mystery Series
Winston - A Horse's Tale
Dangerous Liaisons,
The Poinciana Tree
The Unicorn Angel
My Very Naughty Pony
youkrst

1F - BRONZE CONTRIBUTOR
One with Books

Unread post

it reminds me of... know yourself ! as the old greeks used to say.

all those emotions and reactions are in your own self, the book is simply the catalyst to bring these things from the subconscious into the conscious.

the book is acting as a catalyst to give you an opportunity to get to know things about yourself you may have been unaware of.

but it can be a bit too intense at times, and the power of what rises up can overwhelm, so just remember you are the boss! if it's too much back it off a notch!
Theomanic

1F - BRONZE CONTRIBUTOR
Agrees that Reading is Fundamental

Unread post

Haruki Murakami is excellent at the subtle and bittersweet. I also find his stories haunting, whether they're sad or not. His short story "The Kidney-Shaped Stone that Moved Every Day" was in my head for weeks, and still randomly occurs to me.

I think that like grief, time heals such wounds. Every time you think of Norwegian Wood you'll be saddened, but it will be less harsh as time goes on. The best thing to do is embrace and accept such things, and try to find joy in human's ability to empathize so much that a fictional story can bring us to tears. I know that sounds super cheesy, but maybe that will help. Take it in, digest it, learn and move forward. Such is life!

"Beware those who are always reading books" - The Genius of the Crowd, by Charles Bukowski

Return to “Authors: Tell us about your FICTION book!”