• In total there are 28 users online :: 1 registered, 0 hidden and 27 guests (based on users active over the past 60 minutes)
    Most users ever online was 1086 on Mon Jul 01, 2024 9:03 am

The Mything Link

Engage in conversations about worldwide religions, cults, philosophy, atheism, freethought, critical thinking, and skepticism in this forum.
Forum rules
Do not promote books in this forum. Instead, promote your books in either Authors: Tell us about your FICTION book! or Authors: Tell us about your NON-FICTION book!.

All other Community Rules apply in this and all other forums.
stahrwe

1I - PLATINUM CONTIBUTOR
pets endangered by possible book avalanche

The Mything Link

Unread post

I have a question for the BT crowd;

Do you know, or know of someone who knows, more about mythology than J.R.R. Tolkien?
n=Infinity
Sum n = -1/12
n=1

where n are natural numbers.
Chris OConnor

1A - OWNER
BookTalk.org Hall of Fame
United States of America

Re: The Mything Link

Unread post

No. Why do you ask?
DWill

1H - GOLD CONTRIBUTOR

Unread post

Sir James George Frazer of The Golden Bough fame might be one who had a more comprehensive knowledge, but not knowing how much Tolkien knew about world, as opposed to Anglo-Saxon or Norse, mythology, I can't be sure.
stahrwe

1I - PLATINUM CONTIBUTOR

Unread post

Anyone else care to comment?

My question was intended to be more generic than a specific mythology. I meant mythology as a genre, a type of literature,

JRR Tolkien wrote what some have called the greatest book of the 20th century and others have called the greatest book of the 2nd millenia.
n=Infinity
Sum n = -1/12
n=1

Dexter

1F - BRONZE CONTRIBUTOR
I dumpster dive for books!
United States of America

Unread post

Joseph Campbell?

Assuming you're not looking for someone that's alive.
DWill

1H - GOLD CONTRIBUTOR

Unread post

Is it LOTR you're talking about as the greatest book of the century or millenium? It wouldn't be The Hobbit, I assume. I guess everyone is free to think of any book they like as the greatest ever. If it's literary critics' opinions you're talking about, I'd be surprised if any named Tolkien's works as the best of the century. There's an assumption that realistic fiction is the mainstream from which the greatest book candidates would be chosen. I still don't understand why you asked the question about Tolkien's knowledge of myth.
stahrwe

1I - PLATINUM CONTIBUTOR

Unread post

why? you ask.

I have been assailed by the claims of many skeptics and non-believers that Christianity is a myth. I fought against that claim but with little gravitas of my own, and a majority professing the company line I made little headway. Though riddled with logical flaws and misrepresentations the writings of Murdock, Wright, Campbell and others were preferred and defended. Since being banned from BT I have delved deeply into many topics and dealt with other atheists and groups which have nearly identical approaches.

Additionally, I have been part of a group forming a local chapter of the American Chesterton Society and have had the privilege of meeting and discussing Chesterton's works with experts and scholars including one who did postgraduate work at Oxford. That particular scholar is also an expert on C.S. Lewis. His knowledge of Lewis and Tokien is encyclopedic and when I am around him I keep my mouth shut and listen (a testimony to his brilliance as I love to opine as many of you know). The inevitable interconnection of Chesterton-Lewis-Tolkien led to my discovery of what Tolkien had to say about mythology and Christianity.

I have attached a Youtube video of a reenaction of a key meeting and conversation between the atheist Lewis and Catholic Tolkien. The conversation was a key event in Lewis becoming a Christian. The re-enaction is fairly accurate as recorded by Lewis in various writings.

As I object to videos without transcripts I have attached a pdf file of the youtube clip.

In the video Tolkien proposes Christianity is indeed a myth.

The video is about 8 minutes long.

I hope you will watch it and that it will generate some discussion.

The True Myth
Attachments
tolkientranscript.pdf
Transcript of the True Myth
(111.2 KiB) Downloaded 109 times
n=Infinity
Sum n = -1/12
n=1

ant

1G - SILVER CONTRIBUTOR

Unread post

Thanks for the link.
I have a question about C S Lewis that is not related to the discussion on the video:

Understanding a person's biography requires careful consideration of their life's context.
Understanding Lewis' context is valuable when considering his reasoning that lead to his conversion from militant atheism to Christianity.

Having said that, how might the trauma of Lewis' childhood (death of his mother) and the trauma of his wartime service played a role in his conversion to Christianity?
DWill

1H - GOLD CONTRIBUTOR

Unread post

A quibble perhaps, but what evidence do you have for the adjective "militant" before "atheist"?
ant

1G - SILVER CONTRIBUTOR

Unread post

What prompted this question in this topic of discussion?

It's a fairly easy question to address. Of course it's entirely perspectival.

Return to “Religion & Philosophy”