• In total there are 3 users online :: 0 registered, 0 hidden and 3 guests (based on users active over the past 60 minutes)
    Most users ever online was 1000 on Sun Jun 30, 2024 12:23 am

Introduction: Meet the Mormons

#123: Sept. - Nov. 2013 (Non-Fiction)
Chris OConnor

1A - OWNER
BookTalk.org Hall of Fame
United States of America

Unread post

Suzanne

1F - BRONZE CONTRIBUTOR
Book General

Re: Introduction: Meet the Mormons

Unread post

Just ordered my copy. I'm looking forward to this discussion.
Chris OConnor

1A - OWNER
BookTalk.org Hall of Fame
United States of America

Unread post

I started reading last night. Nice to see you joining this one Suzanne. So far 9 people have said they're going to participate so this might be a discussion in which to get the author involved.
Cattleman
Way Beyond Awesome

Unread post

Just downloaded the Kindle edition. Will probably start on it tomorrow.
Love what you do, and do what you love. Don't listen to anyone else who tells you not to do it. -Ray Bradbury

Always listen to experts. They'll tell you what can't be done, and why. Then do it. -Robert A. Heinlein
Cattleman
Way Beyond Awesome

Unread post

I have now read the Introduction, and offer the following personal note:

About forty years ago, I loaded my wife and son into our car and went to Salt Lake City to work as a government (federal) attorney. I visited Temple Square, and saw the 'official' versions of how the LDS church came into being. I also met many Mormons, and some Jack-Mormons (an individual who came from a Mormon family, but did not follow the faith). I found them as individuals to be friendly, hard-working, and very intent on converting us. I did find some books that were less than favorable to the LDS church and its adhrents. I am sure much of this will be discussed later in the book.
Love what you do, and do what you love. Don't listen to anyone else who tells you not to do it. -Ray Bradbury

Always listen to experts. They'll tell you what can't be done, and why. Then do it. -Robert A. Heinlein
Cattleman
Way Beyond Awesome

Unread post

Before I move on to Chapter 1, a couple more personal observations based on my time in "Zion" (Salt Lake City). Naturally the largest denomination were the Mormons, second were the Roman Catholics, and to my surprise, the third largest group was the Greek Orthodox Church.

Officially, Mormons do not smoke, or drink alcoholic beverages, or anything with caffeine (coffee, tea, even Coca-Cola). But they do love their sweets. For its size, I think Salt Lake City has more bakeries and cany stores than any city I have been lived in or visited.

One question before I move on. Has anyone besides Chris and myself had more than a possing connection with the Mormons? If so, please leave a post.
Last edited by Cattleman on Wed Aug 28, 2013 8:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.

youkrst

1F - BRONZE CONTRIBUTOR
One with Books

Unread post

when i think of mormons i cannot help but remember

Tal Bachman, son of Randy Bachman, Tal slipped the chains and made off a free man.

Orson Scott Card, i enjoyed reading "enders game" recently and cracked up when i looked up the author only to find he was a mormon in hot water over a position against gay marriage i think it was. Made me laugh to contrast the controversy with the fact that i had enjoyed the book completely oblivious to all the goings on.

Brandon Flowers, lead singer of the Killers, i just love their stuff!

it's funny how these three are just great fun whether they are mormons or not.

sort of reminds me of Mark Heard who was a fantastic wordsmith but nonetheless a christian.

though i think these guys would rock in whatever sub-culture they happened to spring up in.

you can't keep a good man down :D
Cattleman
Way Beyond Awesome

Unread post

I knew Card is a Mormon, but not the others. In one of his novels, I think it is "Folk of the Fringe," Card has a group of Mormons 'moving west.' As this is a post-apocalyptic novel, I can't help wondering if this part was inspired by actual Mormon history.???

I remember also that the late Howard Hughes had a set of Mormon bodyguards; he supposedly liked the fact that they did not smoke of drink.

youkrst

1F - BRONZE CONTRIBUTOR
One with Books

Unread post

Religious opinions should be no more immune to discussion and criticism than scientific or political ones.
i like the cut of this writers jib already!
youkrst

1F - BRONZE CONTRIBUTOR
One with Books

Unread post

But other Mormons secretly go through life under tremendous pressures: pressure to conform, pressure to get married in the Temple, pressure to have lots of children, pressure to be the perfect wife/husband/child, pressure to be straight, pressure to squelch doubts, pressure to devote all their free time to the church, pressure to uphold...
this reminds me of all the other "voices" out there that seek to dominate the individual

mormonism is one example of a class it seems

ideologies that seek to impose outward conformity, to make merchandise of the individual, to supercede the individuals right to sovereignity over themselves.

i hate seeing individuals "under pressure" like that, i'm glad for every one who makes it out alive.
The simple fact that the LDS church, like every other religion on the planet, demands moral authority over any of us is more than enough reason to examine their claims about reality—and oppose them if they are wrong.

Return to “The Complete Heretic's Guide to Western Religion: The Mormons - by David Fitzgerald”