• In total there are 44 users online :: 0 registered, 0 hidden and 44 guests (based on users active over the past 60 minutes)
    Most users ever online was 1086 on Mon Jul 01, 2024 9:03 am

What genre of fiction would you like to read as our next fiction group discussion? Poll open now!

Authors are invited and encouraged to present their FICTION books solely within this forum.

What genre of fiction would you choose for our next group fiction discussion?

Contemporary fiction

15%
Novels used for movies

8%
Historical novels

8%
Science fiction, including utopian novels

15%
Horror

8%
Fantasy

8%
Mystery

8%
Award winning novels

19%
First novels by authors to watch

12%

Total votes: 26
Suzanne

1F - BRONZE CONTRIBUTOR
Book General

What genre of fiction would you like to read as our next fiction group discussion? Poll open now!

Unread post

What work of fiction should we read as a group for the months of October, November and December?

This is an overwhelming question when you consider how many genres of fiction there are to choose from.

Please look at the poll and choose which genre of fiction interests you. All registered members of BookTalk.org are eligible and encouraged to participate in this poll. Each member can vote for as many genres that are of interest. This poll will run for seven days. Once a genre has been selected a large variety of novels from this genre will be presented in poll form for fiction readers to choose from.

The most popular novel selected from the chosen genre will be our next group fiction discussion novel for the months of October, November and December. Voting for your favorite genre will greatly speed up the process of selecting a novel for a successful discussion. Also, this poll allows you to explore a genre of fiction that may be new to you.

**You will notice that "classic" novels are not on the genre poll. Most classic novels are public domain and free. Classic novels will be offered for our next "free book discussion". Please look forward to a poll to select our next group "free book" discussion which will be available soon! :)
Suzanne

1F - BRONZE CONTRIBUTOR
Book General

Re: What genre of fiction would you like to read as our next fiction group discussion? Poll open now!

Unread post

It is very exciting to see that this poll has been successful. :)

The winning genre is "award winning novels".

For those members who voted for this genre, I want to point out that there are a large variety of fiction awards given to a large variety of fiction genres. The Pulitzer Prize, The Man Booker Award and the National Book Award are a sample of the most commonly known awards of contemporary fiction.

However, there are awards given each year to myriad categories of fiction.

PEN/Robert W. Bingham Prize: presented for a debut work
Bram Stoker Award: presented for a distinguished work of horror
Micro Award: flash fiction
Flannery O'Conner Award: short fiction
Nebula Award: Science fiction/fantasy
Nobel Prize in Literature: presented to author based upon an entirety of work
Best Translated Book Award: awarded based upon the criteria of substance and expertise of translation
Edgar Award: presented to best mystery

Each one of the above awards will be represented in the final poll to select AT LEAST one novel to be discussed as a group during the months of October, November and December.

There will be a large, up to date comprisal of novels to choose from in the "award winning novels" genre poll. There will be a diversity of genres reflected in the novels that are submitted for the poll due to the multitude of awards that are presented to works of distinguished fiction. Because of this, we may have more than one work of fiction discussed as a group for the up coming months.

Please look forward to participating in our novel poll, thank you so much for your votes!
Cattleman
Way Beyond Awesome

Re: What genre of fiction would you like to read as our next fiction group discussion? Poll open now!

Unread post

Suzanne, what about the Edgar award for best Mystery Novel of the year???
Love what you do, and do what you love. Don't listen to anyone else who tells you not to do it. -Ray Bradbury

Always listen to experts. They'll tell you what can't be done, and why. Then do it. -Robert A. Heinlein
Suzanne

1F - BRONZE CONTRIBUTOR
Book General

Unread post

Mystery only received one vote so I did not mention it. But I will include one.
DaveJeb
Master Debater

Unread post

I am open to any selection and looking forward to joining at the start of this book, it will be my first.

Cattleman, I love mysteries too some of my favorites are Italo Calvino, Michael Connelly, Ian Rankin and Ngaio Marsh. Are side conversations allowed as I love Edgar books! I've never read anything by Dennis Lahane but see him often at the independent book store I adore in Madison.
Bookish
DaveJeb
Master Debater

Unread post

Suzanne, thanks so much for this tough job, when do you estimate the poll will be out? I am out of town to San Fran next week for 11 days with no computer (will the shakes kick in or will it be refreshing? time will tell) I'll check back everyday to hope I catch it. Looking to reading it.
Bookish
Suzanne

1F - BRONZE CONTRIBUTOR
Book General

Unread post

DaveJeb wrote:Cattleman, I love mysteries too some of my favorites are Italo Calvino
I have recently discovered this writer, but have only read his short stories. I don't know how to describe his writing, except for, well, weird. The book I have is; "Numbers in the Dark and Other Stories". Have you read this? I have not read any full length novel by Calvino. I'll need to explore him a bit more.
DaveJeb wrote: Are side conversations allowed as I love Edgar books!
Absolutely! It is my feeling, and goal, that we will have more than one group fiction discussion coming out of this poll. Also, at any time you can create your own discussion. Now that you have mentioned Calvino, I would be interested in a discussion of one of his works.
DaveJeb wrote:Suzanne, thanks so much for this tough job, when do you estimate the poll will be out?
My pleasure! I have carved out time for this project tomorrow, so I intend to have the poll up by tomorrow evening.
DaveJeb wrote:I am open to any selection and looking forward to joining at the start of this book, it will be my first.
We are very happy to have you Dave! Thank you for your interest. :)

Return to “Authors: Tell us about your FICTION book!”